10/22/2008 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, MO

• 38 Replies

Offline Emerald (Sabrina)

Re: 10/22/2008 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, MO
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Just got home from class.  Did the Fair pogo on the way to the car.  Got some snickers.  Not the candy bar, but it amounted to the same thing.  Can't wait to see the set list.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »
Set:
Way to Normal
Effington
Part of Grey Seal or whatever he played for the Elton John thingy
You Don't Know Me - w/ Missy
Gone
Brainwashct
Lovesick
Dr. Yang
Annie Waits
Cologne
Bitch Went Nuts
Landed
Kylie from Connecticut
Free Coffee
Free Coffee Town
Hiroshima
Zak and Sara
Bitch Went Nutz

Encore 1:
Fair
Still Fighting it
Philosophy
Kate
Rockin' the Suburbs
Underground
Army
Frowne Anthem

Encore 2:
Not the Same

Offline Kyle

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 04:52:26 AM »
It was awesome.  Ben started playing "This Song Has No Title", I believe.  Talked to Justin for a minute at the end.  It's been like 9 years since we went to the Columbia, MO show together.  It wasn't the show to end all shows, but it was an awesome show.  Ton of energy, ton of songs, and a pretty great crowd overall.  Not a single chant of Rock This Bitch or Bitches Ain't Shit that I could hear.  There was an extremely heartfelt "Who the f*ck are you?" during Underground from what sounded like the entire audience.  For a second, I thought there may be a third encore when they didn't bring the lights up right away, but the crowd started leaving THEN the lights came up.  I kind of wonder if the crowd had stayed would we have gotten one more?

Anyway, for my 20th show, it definitely was a great one.

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
Kyle, I definitely heard some Rock This Bitch shouts from the lower level during a quiet moment, but only once really. Good show overall, exceeded my expectations. The fake Frown Song ending was unexpectedly funny and cute.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
The anti-RTB campaign appears to be working. Lots of folks acknowledging the sign and loads more recognized me from the PSA video Allison YouTubed.

Offline Jono11

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
I was in the upper balcony.  There was a "Rock This Bitch" about every three songs.  From the same dumb drunk f*ck.  Was the anti-RTB campaign making the rounds in line before the show?  If you were, holy shit you're dedicated, because that rain was some bullshit.  I was about five minutes from saying f*ck it, scalping the tickets for fifty bucks a pop and drinking a few in a sports bar to watch the World Series.  But the line started moving, so I decided to stick with it.  Glad I did.

Great show though.  My first Ben Folds show.  Definitely the best show I've ever been too.  Ben really reinvigorated every song that he played for me, and really his entire catalog, at a time in my life where I'm increasingly only listening to the new album, the fake album, the EPs, and some of his live improvs because I played everything else to death.  But he really reminded me about what's great in his music with this show.  Had a blast.  I hope to make it to more.

Offline Allison

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
The anti-RTB campaign appears to be working. Lots of folks acknowledging the sign and loads more recognized me from the PSA video Allison YouTubed.
f*ckin A. Awesome. :D

I have a dream that some day there will be no shouts for Rock this Bitch.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »
And the children of the people not shouting for RTB can play on the steps of Effington's city hall alongside the children of those yelling out RTB...

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »
There was a dumbass next to me who yelled for Rock this Bitch and BAS after every song after landed.

Offline Allison

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
Someone has an obsession with Bitches, apparently.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
My first true Ben concert... I saw him play with John Mayer and Brett Dennen two summers ago.

I missed my chance when he was at KU my freshmen year.  So glad I went last night.

I know now not to stand on the right hand side facing the stage because every minute there was some jerk going to grab a beer. There was a drunk bitch behind me hitting me with her purse because she was spinning or some shit.  She decided to yell some random song (probably BAS, because she's a c*nt) and it wasn't even audible, just killed my ear... I decided to switch sides about an hour and 15 mins in. Much more enjoyable on that side.

Offline evaporatedc

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
This was a great show! I was the first in line yesterday, got there at 1:30 in the afternoon and was well worth every minute I spent under the marquee at the Uptown. I met Justin for the first time yesterday, and enjoyed picking his brain for little bits of info as he goes to see Ben so often.  Also enjoyed meeting Lynn and Frank. We talked about this website last night. I've read this message board for a long time but never joined until today, mostly because of her asking me what my username was and because I enjoyed hanging out with them in line yesterday. It was fun hanging out with you guys! \m/
"Not with Jane f**kin Fonda Jr as my date!"

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Yea the people definitely made the experience for me at the reunion. Everyone there rocked, plus getting to meet Ben was f*cking awesome.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Jono11

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
There was a dumbass next to me who yelled for Rock this Bitch and BAS after every song after landed.
You were upstairs then?  I think we're talking about the same guy.  Was he the guy who staggered all over the balcony, drunk as f*ck and not shutting up and doing the damn Nixon salute for 15 minutes?  That guy was nuts, and while I love to be drunk, seeing a grown man that f*cked up was embarrassing.  I did think it was funny when he slapped some old businessman-looking guy on the ass for no reason though.

I even like those songs, but seriously, what kind of mature adult goes to a show just to hear songs about Bitches?

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 11:42:02 PM »
I even like those songs, but seriously, what kind of mature adult goes to a show just to hear songs about Bitches?

I enjoy The Bitch Went Nut(s-z)