Good morrow

• 12 Replies
Good morrow
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
Greetings citizens of 'Ben Folds Message Board - thesuburbs.org.uk'.

A good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless due to ongoing legal matter) is always listening to Ben Folds and his Five or sometimes just Ben Folds.. and some time in collaborations with other artists of varying gender, age and hair colour. He absolutely loves old Ben Folds.

Unfortunately, as stated above, my friend is being taken away due to a high profile court case and isn't around.

I would like to enjoy the musical produce of Mr Folds but would be interested in hearing your opinions on a good place to start.

Obviously in the bath is normally best.. but which albums, tracks etc..?

Any interesting information will be gratefully received and may be rewarded with speciality cheeses.
"You are all a lost generation" - GS

Re: Good morrow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:41:42 AM »
Greetings citizens of 'Ben Folds Message Board - thesuburbs.org.uk'.

A good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless due to ongoing legal matter) is always listening to Ben Folds and his Five or sometimes just Ben Folds.. and some time in collaborations with other artists of varying gender, age and hair colour. He absolutely loves old Ben Folds.

Unfortunately, as stated above, my friend is being taken away due to a high profile court case and isn't around.

I would like to enjoy the musical produce of Mr Folds but would be interested in hearing your opinions on a good place to start.

Obviously in the bath is normally best.. but which albums, tracks etc..?

Any interesting information will be gratefully received and may be rewarded with speciality cheeses.

For a second, I thought this post was from a Nigerian scammer who wanted me to send money.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:33:33 AM »
I don't have any money to send anywhere...

Never been to Nigeria either...

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
I'd say just work chronologically. Start with Ben Folds Five, and go from there.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
Start with his most accessible album, 'Fear of Pop', then work through his soundtrack stuff stopping off via the individual tracks 'Mitchell Lane', 'Girl', and 'Fantasy World'.

Did I miss anything out, anyone?

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
Start with his most accessible album, 'Fear of Pop', then work through his soundtrack stuff stopping off via the individual tracks 'Mitchell Lane', 'Girl', and 'Fantasy World'.

Did I miss anything out, anyone?

~A

The Josh Groban collaberation?

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

Oh good call sir!

Plus that Taleb Kweli thing.

~A

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
How can we forget:

- Bitches ain't shit
- Rock This Bitch
- Brick
- The Luckiest

Extra points if you call for any/all of these at shows.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »

Oh good call sir!

Plus that Taleb Kweli thing.

~A
Andy your leaving out "I am" by that rapper guy.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

SPECIALTY CHEESES! I'm in.

I'm reminded of a Kids in the Hall skit, which I will modify to fit this thread.

You wanna become a fan of Ben Folds?!? No no no my friend! Ben Folds fans aren't made, they're born. I think right now in Africa there's some guy madly beating on a baby grand. He's a Ben Folds fan. Or an old lady sitting on the bus sucking humbugs. She's got her philosophy, but she ain't never seen the forest from the trees. If you become a Ben Folds fan, Brick is the only song you won't like. And remember: Greatest Hits are for housewives and little girls! If you want to be a Ben Folds fan, you cant just buy any album. It's scientific. You gotta buy Reinhold Messner. It's the departure point. Listen to it around dusk every night for about a month.

Hey. Who's playing guitar?
No one?
That's right! The gypsies had no homes, Ben Folds Five had no guitar. But don't let that scare you, my friend let that liberate you! 'Cause when you're free flying with Ben Folds, man - what do you need a safety net for?

But listen, there's a burden that every real Ben Folds Five fan has got to live with. That's the fact that the greatest rock n' roll band of all time is never going to play live again (again). You can't live in the past...

Here. Take this, it's a cassette tape. It's one of the last in existence. I want you to steal a car... I want you to get in it and drive West. Play the cassette tape full blast. When the tape ends, get out and get into a fight, then get back into the car, come to town and meet me at the Carcas Club. If you survive the night, then you're gonna be a Ben Folds fan.

Offline Allison

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
I really like cheese. I live in Wisconsin.

That being said. You should try to get your hands on their best selling album, finding a copy is really rare though; The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner. The biggest, loudest album Ben Folds Five ever put out... and while you're going for loud and noisy kick-the-piano's ass music, the solo effort of Songs for Silverman is by far everyone's favorite record. Should also to be sure to ask every Ben Folds fan you might have ever encountered to see if they think Brick is about an abortion or not. Or if Emaline's a horse.

For real though, if you're serious, start with Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever, Amen, Selftitled album and Ben's solo Rocking the Suburbs.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 07:55:04 AM »
I thank you all for your generous gifts and nuggets of various facts and informations.

Even the one named Andy who appears to be some kind of marvellous wizard.

Jpar your offer is truly tempting, but my current state of "chained to a desk and headset"-acia stops me from venturing near any automotive apparatus including those of the domestic travelling nature.

Allison, the one who bestows 'chuddleys cannons', cheese is a rare and glorious asset in my home country of "The Great United Kingdom Of Yorkshire". Speciality cheese is often kept over the mantelpiece as a show of status.

I shall endeavour to explore the roots of the Mr Folds collection, as well as those recommended products.

Thank you all.

BP

Offline Andy

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
I think you should listen to 'Way to Normal' first and give us an honest opinion of it from someone with no expectations or opinion of Mr. Folds.

~A