Brooke's review of the BF5 experience.

• 9 Replies

Offline Brooooke

• "I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"
Brooke's review of the BF5 experience.
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
YES!  I call it an experience because that's what it was.  It was soooo amazing meeting all of you who were there and I will be replaying yesterday in my mind over and over for a very, very long time to come.  I have a verrrrry detailed post of the entire day on my LJ, if you have that and want to friend me, feel free!  But here is a review of just the show itself from me.

Andy, we missed you like crazy!

It started with Hotel Lights, which was delish.  I was a little annoyed that the audience talked during the whole of it.  Yah, I know that's what an opening band is for but this is DARREN JESSEE we're talking about here.  He dedicated Amelia Bright to Ben and Robert.

Again, I have no idea how to start so let's just go song by song with a little comment for each.

First, the entire Messner record.

1. Narcolepsy.  Man, I didn't realize a small sized crowd could make such incredible noise.  Hearing Darren and Robert sing for the first time was just amazing.  When they first walked on stage to such deserved applause and started playing...I teared up.  Oh yes.

2. Don't Change Your Plans - HORNS anyone?!  Yes, there was a horn section!

3. Mess.  What can I say?  It's Mess.  It was glorious.

4.  Magic.  At the risk of sounding cheesy, this was magical.  I'll never forget Darren leaving his drumset to head for the timpani that was there.  Yes, the set up was very very similar to the Freaking Out BF5.  I was hoping for two pianos and a gong and that thing Robert used to make sounds with his hand.

5.  Hospital Room.  Ben messed up the solo and shook his head at it.  There were other mistakes some I'll forget to mention and some I remember but who cares really?  According to Chrispy, Darren made a ton of mistakes as well.  Robert seemed flawless though.

6.  Army.  SUPER energetic and horns all over.  Ben told the story of 'Negative Research' and how people in Atlanta called in to NOT hear that song again.

7.  Redneck Past - more mistakes from Ben, this time lyric wise and I do believe they added a few extra measures or so to get back on track... or was this during Regrets?  I can't remember.

8..  Your Most Valuable Possession.  Dean Folds came out to do the reading while they jammed in the background.

9. Regrets.  Such delicious harmony.  Holy f*cking hell, when that breakdown came at the end and that bass comes in.  Mmmm and from Sledge?  There was nothing better.  I freaked out at the beginning of this song because that bass line is just soooooooooooooooo goooooooood.  Holy hell.

10.  Jane.  <3

11.  Lullabye.  Horns came out again for this during the big piano solo, and that was a very, very nice touch.

They left to roaring crowds and came back not too long later for a very long 'encore' I guess...but really it was like a second half.  BF5 themselves played for only an hour and a half, that could have been longer but I have no real complaints because...of one of the songs listed down here.

12.  Jackson Cannery - wondrous.  Probably won't ever hear this one again.

13.  Eddie Walker.  Meh.  Could have done w/out this one.

14.  SELFLESS, COLD and COMPOSED.  I melted. I had to sit down for a few seconds.  And oh yes, I teared up again.  Yes I did.

15. Battle of Who Could Care Less - THE HARMONIES.  GOOD LORD!!!!!!  So good.  SOOO GOOD I wish I had better words.  Awesome, stupendous, amazing, wondrous, etc etc.  I really appreciated all the finger made Ws that appeared in the air when Ben sang "Whatever....and ever...amen."

16.  Where's Summer B.?.  Ahhhh great to hear an old classic.

17.  Julianne.  Weird!  Probably could have done without this one too but it's Darren's favourite which is why it was played I'm guessing.  Ben told a nice story about this but I can't remember it exactly anymore.  Not my favourite song but very fun to jam out to LIVE.

18.  Song for the Dumped.  The moment Robert started that bass I thought "Oh here it comes!"  And YES.  After, the audience cheered and cheered.  We wanted our beloved BF5 to return, and a good chant got going but...to no avail.  They probably didn't have anything else prepared.  But it was an excellent effort on the audience's part to get them back.

SO OVERALL....worth the stress?  Worth the money?  YES YES YES x infinity.  Could it have been longer?  Yes.  Could it have been less 'by the book'?  Yes.  But ...Selfless Cold and Composed.  By Ben Folds Five.  Live.  .....For me, it erases everything that could have been a tiny bit better.

Afterward, Ben skidattled pretty quick, but those who stuck around did get to meet Darren and Robert.

Offline TrashSpork

Re: Brooke's review of the BF5 experience.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
I can imagine it would have the feel of what would have been the 'Ben Folds Experience' only it was the Five and they were in Chapel Hill on dry land and not on a boat.
I like toast!

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »
I teared up.  Oh yes.

same here!

13.  Eddie Walker.  Meh.  Could have done w/out this one.

14.  SELFLESS, COLD and COMPOSED.  I melted. I had to sit down for a few seconds.  And oh yes, I teared up again.  Yes I did.

i'd say the opposite! :)

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
Could've done without Eddie Walker and Julianne????!!!!
I just died a little on the inside.
I know you're in there, I can see you. You're saying you're okay, I don't believe you.

Offline Brooooke

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »
hey speedy, weren't you suppose to meet us at Pepper's?  What happened?

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »
hey speedy, weren't you suppose to meet us at Pepper's?  What happened?
He was but he didn't  :'( So no whatever house.

I have to say thank you so f*cking much for those pictures by the way. I loved Julianne and Eddie Walker though, they've been been favorites for a while.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »
Eddie Walker was a highlight for me.

My very first Ben Folds Five experience was hearing a scratchy record plotz out Jackson and Eddie, so hearing those songs back to back... live, after so long (god, was it really 1994?) brought tears to my eyes. The entire show was amazing, and worth every cent paid, but the moment Jackson started I knew we weren't finished yet - and Eddie Walker? I was overcome with emotion. Always one of my favorites, and hearing Robert and Darren again with those harmonies made the flight from KC and sleeping in the airport hours later worthwhile.

Offline Brooooke

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
no problem about the pictures!  my pleasure!

eddie walker is a great song, it just doesn't strike me the same way.  we all have our own personal favourites for our own reasons

(;

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
no problem about the pictures!  my pleasure!

eddie walker is a great song, it just doesn't strike me the same way.  we all have our own personal favourites for our own reasons

(;
Yea, Amelia Bright is now one of the songs I can't listen to anymore.
I just listened to the Album version and it brought tears to my eyes. I wish to god I had listened to them before last night.
I'm so angry now too, f*cking college students who wouldn't shut the f*ck up.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Brooooke

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:47 AM »
ohhh we had a few of those in front of us, too.  booooo.