Last one from Ben (and its even longer)

• 71 Replies

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
Re: Last one from Ben (and its even longer)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Not as bad as the WB pushing back the harry potter film months and months and months. lame lame lame lame (I'm not irritated with that at all)
Yeah, kind of screws up the good year we've had so far in the cinema exhibition industry. However the fact that they've had to move it to prop up next summer presumably means it'll be a slow year...

Offline algonacchick

• Everywhere I go, damn, there I am
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »
Wow, that was like a novel, but I read every word, and loved it. Thanks for giving us some insight on some of your new songs, Ben, and for stopping by. I guess I'm kinda like Allison, in that I'm going to wait until the cd comes out, and hear the songs then, instead of now. I love your work, and you can stop by anytime.
The music-business ship is going down, and Weird Al is standing on the bow, rockin' out ~ Ben Folds
www.myspace.com/bakerbobrules

Offline Allison

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »
Well. For me, I've already seen 8 of them live, and then Cologne's music video was way  too tempting to not watch.

I need SOME surprise.

And whenever an artist I really super enjoy (like a top 10er) releases a new album I tend to go through a few several weeks of not listening to anything in their entire catalog, why? I dunno. That way the voice is fresh when I stick the CD in the first time. I also listen to an album the first three times with the headphones in.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
Yes! Always a good day when one gets to read a recent post from Ben. Thanks!
I like toast!

Offline algonacchick

• Everywhere I go, damn, there I am
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »
Well, then, it's a good thing I just said kinda like you, eh, Allison? I haven't watched anything yet, either. Looking forward to the new cd!
The music-business ship is going down, and Weird Al is standing on the bow, rockin' out ~ Ben Folds
www.myspace.com/bakerbobrules

Offline Allison

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
Yes. It promises to be great.

But I think we're all, as a whole, terribly biased. But I have really enjoyed the energy the songs have had live. The reception amongst the crowd that was new to the songs (unlike Mel, Brooke and I) at the shows was also very high and some of my favorite moments are the people surrounding you going; "OH MY THIS SONG IS AWESOME!" when they hear Errant Dog or The Bitch Went Nutzszszs for the first time. (Those are the only two I remember people yelling their accolades during... but they would be misplaced yells during Free Coffee or Kylie.)
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
Humble Mr. Folds,

Your paragraph structure has improved! I'm bursting with pride, which will carry over into my upcoming Photography class and through the rest of my first day at school. You even used consonance in a sentence; outside of a poetry lecture and on the internet. Consider my smartassery (iz dat a werd?) matched. Will you be my English Professor, oh brainy one?

So I wasn't crazy in thinking that the album cover was a bit foppish! It's as English as Earl Grey Tea and Doctor Who. You have the tea cup. All that's missing is a blue police box that travels through time and space.

From the sounds of it, the album is more personal than I expected.  I'm especially excited to listen to the studio cut of Kylie, too. I'm pretty sure it's going to blow my twisted, little mind, you tease.

Have fun on the tour! If you plan on making a stop in Toronto again anytime soon, I'll be there. I shall miss your novellas, which you call postings.
- Clare.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
Bon Scott Folds,

I want to bathe with you.

Regards,
Chris

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »
Well. For me, I've already seen 8 of them live, and then Cologne's music video was way  too tempting to not watch.

I need SOME surprise.

And whenever an artist I really super enjoy (like a top 10er) releases a new album I tend to go through a few several weeks of not listening to anything in their entire catalog, why? I dunno. That way the voice is fresh when I stick the CD in the first time. I also listen to an album the first three times with the headphones in.

Sometimes, when I'm super psyched about hearing a new album (or even EP), I will delay listening to it till the evening so that I can guarantee that I won't be interupted during my listen by a persistent parent or a phonecall or something. I *HATE* being interupted while listening to music. I just had to pause my Calexico CD because my sister needed me to get a spider for her... NOT pleased.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »
Heh, I missed Ben's second post altogether. GET THAT MAN A SNAZZY AVATAR STAT!!!!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
It's as English as Earl Grey Tea and Doctor Who. You have the tea cup. All that's missing is a blue police box that travels through time and space.
I love that show!

I'm getting pretty excited about the 18th news, though I haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully BF5 re-union.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
So, thanks, benjaminscottfolds--that was very cool to read, and I'm going to bookmark it to read again after I've listened to the whole, real, album!  I always think it's interesting to hear what the artist has to say, and I've had several conversations with people already about the diapers line, so it's funny to read your comments on it...

Boston on 9/26 with my 14-year-old daughter--probably the only musician we are BOTH excited about seeing!!!

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »
It's as English as Earl Grey Tea and Doctor Who. You have the tea cup. All that's missing is a blue police box that travels through time and space.
I love that show!

I'm getting pretty excited about the 18th news, though I haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully BF5 re-union.

Would you like a jellybaby?
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

Offline Laura

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »
I'm somebody who passed music theory and ear training with D's.  So I'm not always with the program on form.  I knew the material in my own way but I just didn't do shit like put the do re me in my sightsinging or put the time signature.  I should have.

yeah. i'm in ap music theory right now, and there are too many dumb rules about how things have to be written...although time signatures are kind of important if anyone else is going to read what you've written...
I almost gave in to positive thinking, but sarcasm came to the rescue

Offline rccody

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »
my music theory teacher in highschool always told us something about, if we want to be able to break the rules, we have to learn what the rules are first. i guess it kind of makes sense if your intention is mainly to break the rules rather than just do what comes natural