Last one from Ben (and its even longer)

• 71 Replies

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
Re: Last one from Ben (and its even longer)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Yay! Ben!

You could write for years and it not be too long. It's good to hear the back stories of the songs. And the pictures from WTN I've seen so far look lovely.

Come back again one day, even if it's only before the next album.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
Interesting stuff.

I guess it's not really healthy for artists to mix too closely with people who'd identify themselves as 'fans'. It's best that they just going on doing the things that brought them fans in the first place.

Still, it's nice to get this kind of considered visit from time to time, it's appreciated Mr Folds!

Offline Damian

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »
Hooray!  It was a shame that it was tabloid misrepresentation that brought Ben out in the first place, but now that's over and he's just talking about the music I wish he'd do it more often.  I've never been someone who obsesses over every line of every song by every artist I like, but if ever there's someone where I'm occasionally interested to know what's behind it, it's Ben.  13 years after the event, I did a Google search the other day to find out what Jackson Cannery was about... had been wondering that for years...

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:09 AM »
Cheers for stopping by Ben! Chuffed that we got some insight into the new album, I'm forever looking at songs and wondering what they really mean and it's nice to be able to contextualise a few! So looking forward to Way To Normal!
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline Zoonie

• I am me
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
Nice to hear from Ben (again!? A glutton for punishment, obviously)

It is nice he's been dropping by. I hope to God he barely ever makes time to read the reams of nonsense we talk about.  It's good to feel comfortable in the knowledge he's not that self obsessed.

...he is? Ohhhh! Sheeeeit!

Hello. I am me.

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:31 AM »
Back to work after a long weekend to find some more good stuff from Ben. Thanks again for posting, and we promise to play nice with our blue counterparts.

Also... thanks for explaining Kylie. I had an image of an adoptee (Kylie) contacting her mother for the first time. I was way off, but I think it still works in that context, too. This just highlights how there are different ways of looking at songs, I suppose.

Can't wait for the Nick Hornby lyrics to fit into a song, and also can't wait for the "big announcement."

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »

I envision myself hitting the "refresh" button on rollingstone's homepage from about 5am tomorrow 'till I pass out.

Um, yeah... doing that now, and until my mouse gives out.

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »
Hooray!  It was a shame that it was tabloid misrepresentation that brought Ben out in the first place, but now that's over and he's just talking about the music I wish he'd do it more often. 

Spot on.  

Thanks for stopping by and hope you haven't cramped up from all the typing.  Working that 'Shift' key with your pinkie can be a real bastard if you're not used to it.  I love the insights you've given us in this post about the new stuff.  You've probably got a bucket-full of promotional stuff to do in the coming weeks/months. And what you've posted here has taken an amount of time and effort and probably won't result in too many additional sales (we've already pre-ordered!) but has meant a huge amount to us.

Nick Hornby is a brilliant writer (I could write a post as long as yours, Ben, about his books) and someone else who has encountered half-baked media attention on his personal life.  I'll look forward to that collaboration down the track.

This may be the end of Ben the Blogger but maybe you'll stop by every so often and give us a mid-tour update...or a mid-recording update...or a mid-lunch update...
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 06:02:53 AM »

I envision myself hitting the "refresh" button on rollingstone's homepage from about 5am tomorrow 'till I pass out.

Um, yeah... doing that now, and until my mouse gives out.

After it does just keep hitting F5, until that craps out too.  :P

Offline Ive Landed

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »
thanks ben, for posting. i can't wait to hear your new stuff! i, on the other hand have not master caps. mainly because i'm too lazy.
'You know what hope is? Hope is a bastard; Hope is a liar, a cheat, and a tease. Hope comes near you; kick its backside. Got no place in days like these.'

-Christine
www.last.fm/user/iheartsuds

Offline rccody

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »
i forgot to say something that i wanted to say last night because of homework, the frown song...back near the end of highschool when i was just getting into bff (1998, yeah i was late), i was kind of inspired by underground and i wrote a wannabe style poem about pretentiously philosophical goths and how they were always unhappy and i simply called it "unhappiness"

i don't mean to say that i think ben folds came to my house and ripped me off, or that i was able to predict the future, but i was trying too hard to write stuff i thought ben would write (as with a lot of what i wrote) so when i saw the frown song the metal gear solid exclamation mark appeared above my head

in the end i was really just being mean by making fun of this ex-friend of mine who people could have thought of as a goth...vampire...thing. well that and i was just feeling really goofy

but that allowed me to instantly sort of understand where ben was coming from with all the fashionable frowning

no caps yet, still not matured ! that's an idea for a song already

Offline Fromasta Flex

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »
I don't think I've ever been to rollingstone this much in my life......and maybe they're announcing the winner of the singyourheartout contest?!?!?!  Yeah right......but seriously when does that thing end?? haha

Ben you probably won't read this but thanks for wasting time with us!
Currently writing my first album....hopefully will record it soon.

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »
sorry!  RS just said it will now be tomorrow AM. 

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »

They owe me a new mouse. Or wrist surgery.

See you on Sunday, after sushi :)

Offline Allison

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks!

Not as bad as the WB pushing back the harry potter film months and months and months. lame lame lame lame (I'm not irritated with that at all)
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!