The Other Post From Ben

• 73 Replies

Offline Allison

Re: The Other Post From Ben
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
Well, you can do intimate and large production in the same show, no problem. I've done it for the last three years. It just takes some key focal points and some choice gel, especially seeing as you're lighting a black piano which does not absorb light, really, at all. Let me tell you, lighting a black man standing in front of a black piano was one of the biggest tasks I've had.

Yea, I figured you could do both in the same setting. But as for lighting anything, I'm glad I don't have that job.

Oh, you don't know til you've tried it. Unless, that is, of course, you can't stand heights, or the smell of burning plastic.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »
Oh, you don't know til you've tried it. Unless, that is, of course, you can't stand heights, or the smell of burning plastic.

Well I can't really stand heights, but it's usually just heights like Eiffel Tower-high. Burning plastic I could stand.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 11:39:37 PM »

Well I can't really stand heights, but it's usually just heights like Eiffel Tower-high. Burning plastic I could stand.

What about one of those cherry pickers... Genie machines...

Just we had a less nice version.... 40 ft in the air with 4 or 5 source 4 36degrees that you have to attach sidways to a pipe on the wall.

Mm. I miss the days.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »
It was probably very non-noticeable to anyone that was just looking at the band, but I always check out what the tech stuff is going on. What can I say?
I went to something once, although I can't remember what now, where I spent longer looking at the lights than I did what I was supposed to be looking at.

Lighting concerts is a world more fun than lighting theater things for me, at least. I love it. I'm trying to make it a profession, but that's ridiculously hard. I'm on hold as "local available talent" at one of the big, and I mean, BIG touring lighting/sound rental places. I hope I'm not on hold too much longer, cause really, retail and freelancing won't make the ends meet. I do miss my board. I think I miss that most about college... my job. I sure don't miss the homework.
I'm so annoyed I didn't keep it going when I moved to Manchester. I loved lighting so much - I used to do stuff at my old school, so there would be a mix from plays and stuff to music and variety shows, it was great. We didn't have much kit, but we sure knew how to use it. We lit a Pop Idol thing once, and me with the best musical timing ran the lights all evening. It was so much fun. And there was a variety show by a couple of local groups which had bits of everything, which was awesome to do, everyone was really happy and friendly and we got pretty much free reign on what to do. So we did :)

When I sit here and think about how much I loved it, and how useless my degree was, I really wonder why I didn't go further :( I keep meaning to find a local theatre group and offer to do their lighting for them.

So good luck :)

Burning plastic I could stand.
Have you smelt it? It's really fun when they catch fire. By fun I mean shout "shit shit shit" loudly.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
What about one of those cherry pickers... Genie machines...

I've been on one of those things before, and scared me to death. It really depends on the situation, Anything that's really tall and sways really gets me really nervous. I'm fine being in a building and looking down the stairwell, but out a window onto the street is another matter.

Have you smelt it? It's really fun when they catch fire. By fun I mean shout "shit shit shit" loudly.

That's what I usually end up saying under my breath when I'm up really high.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »
It was probably very non-noticeable to anyone that was just looking at the band, but I always check out what the tech stuff is going on. What can I say?
I went to something once, although I can't remember what now, where I spent longer looking at the lights than I did what I was supposed to be looking at.

Lighting concerts is a world more fun than lighting theater things for me, at least. I love it. I'm trying to make it a profession, but that's ridiculously hard. I'm on hold as "local available talent" at one of the big, and I mean, BIG touring lighting/sound rental places. I hope I'm not on hold too much longer, cause really, retail and freelancing won't make the ends meet. I do miss my board. I think I miss that most about college... my job. I sure don't miss the homework.
I'm so annoyed I didn't keep it going when I moved to Manchester. I loved lighting so much - I used to do stuff at my old school, so there would be a mix from plays and stuff to music and variety shows, it was great. We didn't have much kit, but we sure knew how to use it. We lit a Pop Idol thing once, and me with the best musical timing ran the lights all evening. It was so much fun. And there was a variety show by a couple of local groups which had bits of everything, which was awesome to do, everyone was really happy and friendly and we got pretty much free reign on what to do. So we did :)

When I sit here and think about how much I loved it, and how useless my degree was, I really wonder why I didn't go further :( I keep meaning to find a local theatre group and offer to do their lighting for them.

So good luck :)

Burning plastic I could stand.
Bwaahah. Yeah, my degree is basically useless as well, unless I want to do 8 more years of school. UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH No. Not right now, thanks.

Ah, I kind of enjoy the smell of burning gel. Provided it's not vital that it's in there. This makes me want to upload my portfolio pictures (and the extras) so y'all can see them. And, I say, go find one of those local theatre groups today! I got my start doing local theatre in High School just as a Spot Op.... and somehow by my second year of college I was the head Lighting Designer on campus. Excuse me while I go toot my own horn for a little while longer.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 12:29:29 AM »
This makes me want to upload my portfolio pictures (and the extras) so y'all can see them.
Do!

And, I say, go find one of those local theatre groups today! I got my start doing local theatre in High School just as a Spot Op.... and somehow by my second year of college I was the head Lighting Designer on campus. Excuse me while I go toot my own horn for a little while longer.
Yeah, now I work more sensible hours, I might well have to. It's so much fun. (Digs out a reel of gaffer tape to stick all over the floor)

Offline Allison

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »
Hell yeah! Any one who supports gaff over duct is a new best friend of mine. You now have no choice.

I will upload my pictures, though, keep in mind, when they look like professional shots, it was our on campus paper, and he didn't always take the best pictures for me. But you know, you can't stage shots with the touring act that's coming through.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 01:21:24 AM »
Hell yeah! Any one who supports gaff over duct is a new best friend of mine. You now have no choice.
Yeah, when I've finished the project I'm currently working on I'll have to ask about. I'm sure there'll be a panto going on in December that I can waggle a spot about for if nothing else.

So, Ben Folds?

Offline Allison

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »
So, Ben Folds?

I hear he plays the piano.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v654/ChudleyCannons31/portfolio%20pictures/ (they're slowly being all uploaded)

PS. I love how the only thing Ben failed to capitalize was his own name.

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 01:25:55 AM »
Ask Mel. Besides that she and Chuck rarely talk about music.

that sounds bad...

It does have a ring of 'Huss' to it.

I can do the heights, but not the burning plastic smell.  Does that rule me out?

And Ben - whatever the hell is going down in Chapel Hill please know I am desperately jealous of those who are going.  Tape it and send me a copy!  Especially if it means you have Hotel Lights supporting (maybe??).  Or a Bens reunion (possibly??).  

Thanks for the post!  I shall be awaiting the updates from those here who go to the said 'shit-themselves' gig.

It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

Offline Zoonie

• I am me
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 03:07:28 AM »
aaaaaand you just know he's not reading the follow up (who would?) but...

BEN! Oi, over 'ere mate.

Right. Jolly nice of you to make a good show for your US folks, but don't forget to retain at least *some* of the fun for us in the UK, eh?

Kthanksbye.
Hello. I am me.

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 04:02:58 AM »
*Ahem* 2 years this week since the last time Ben was here.  And given the gigs in 05 and 06 were with WASO we haven't had Ben with band since....well, some years before that.  Sorry Zoonie, my hard-luck story beats yours  ;).
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

Offline J-dog

• How many of me would it take to screw up your life
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 04:13:27 AM »
You tell 'em Perthgirl!! I couldnt even go last time Ben was here as i was 13 and my mama and papa weren't gonna take me. But they promised to take me next time he's down under and im SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!  ;D \m/
J-diggity

Offline Damian

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:13 AM »
Well, he's a busy man and the world's a big place.  The UK's done pretty well of late.  One thing that CAN be controlled is us at least getting a UK edition of the new album with the bonus DVD... or removing the block on us importing it from the States?

Andy... this is your speciality isn't it?  You spoke to someone at the company and as a direct result we got the Myspace DVD over here... ah, he's on holiday isn't he?  Oh well.  In that case I guess the question is directed at Ben after all, if he's reading.