Help! Advice needed!

• 5 Replies

Offline morgan_davis

• The more you know, you know you don't know shit.
Help! Advice needed!
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Sorry for the drastic subject line, but I only have a week! I am going to the Nashville symphony BF concert this Sunday evening, Sept 7 and was considering proposing to my g/f there in some way/shape/form. Do you think Ben would allow some crazy, almost prank-like thing where I get called up on stage for something and then SURPRISE all of a sudden I'm proposing. Or am I just in dream-world and there's no way this could ever happen?! I did just read that he is going to have each concert more "unique" and like an "event" with "props, etc"...I am good friends with one of Sam Smith's friends (BF current drummer), so maybe that could be my connection.

I wanted to see what y'all think about it and if you have any similar stories (can be for any concert, not just Ben). Since I am such an avid BF piano cover-er, I thought maybe he could call me up on stage to "play a song" but then really I just propose...(hmmmm, although would I rather play a song?...jk!)

Then there's always the other part of my brain saying to just propose in a 1-on-1 setting, to be more intimate/etc. She does love BF too, though.

Thanks so much for reading and replying if you do. ANY feedback is appreciated!!!

-Ben (yes, that's my name too)

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
Re: Help! Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
I think Ben might be cool for it, but you'd probably have to go through an assload of stuff to try and ask him.

Even then he might not go for it, but I'm fairly sure he'd be cool with it.

Hopefully he'd respond to this thread.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »
In my experience, people are fairly cool about this sort of thing and happy to facilitate it. What would probably be the problem is that it would require approval from the "orchestra", the conductor and Ben. So by all means try it, but be aware that it might just be too many people to all agree, whereas if it was a Ben gig, it's his decision. Or his tour manager's.

Offline morgan_davis

• The more you know, you know you don't know shit.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »
You are right--that's a good point. I am going to call the Symphony on Tuesday and see what they have to say...will also be talking to my friend of Sam's tomorrow. Wow, I'm nervous just thinking about doing this. It would be insane if it actually worked out somehow. Thanks for replies so far!

Offline J-dog

• How many of me would it take to screw up your life
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Make sure you let us know how it goes!!  ;D
And best of luck!
J-diggity

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
I would be surprised with an orchestra gig, but I guess it never hurts trying.

If it does go down/they allow cameras in there, and you're on stage, I'll tape it if you'd like.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!