Change Forum Width
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 09:37:11 AM
+  Ben Folds Message Board - thesuburbs.org.uk
|-+  General
| |-+  News (Moderator: Andy)
| | |-+  The Other Post From Ben
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: The Other Post From Ben  (Read 30269 times)
benjaminscottfolds

« on: August 28, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

Hello!

I'm trying to write with properly with caps starting... today!

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that I don't hate the benfolds.org people.  When I posted that fairly serious note last week I had just needed to point out that compounded gratuitous negativity posted on the internet can have an effect on things that happen in real life.  That's why there are laws regarding defamation of character, libel, slander etc.   Its not to protect egos but to protect livelihood, family and friends.  Sometimes stuff that seems funny on the net, not matter how much of a sense of humor you have, holistically doesn't have funny effects.
So please!  Criticize the music all you like.  I would never want to imply that I have a problem with people stating their musical opinions.
A miles' worth of things to say about it all come to mind but its a waste of words.  Just know I'm fine with people ripping my music apart.  And I'm not angry with the .org people. 

There is however, one thing left while I'm hanging out that I'd like to clear up.
One guy on the ".org" who seems really concerned about some comments I made in the New York Times a few years ago about Wayne Coyne and Tori Amos.  I've done thousands of hours of interviews and yeah, that has always stuck out as to me as one of my lesser proud moments in phone interview world.  I cringed as it came out of my mouth and I cringed when it was printed.  I happened to be talking to Scott, the Lips' manager around that time and I nearly apologized but I gathered he hadn't seen it so thought maybe it would be better to blow over and not draw attention to it.  Tori stays too busy to notice or care.

Wayne and Tori had both turned down doing a song on the William Shatner record I produced and the next day I found myself spouting a very ill conceived half assed theory to a journalist that just came out all wrong.  Basically, I was trying to make an abstract (and feeble) connection between the working class in society and a figuratively named artistic working class, both who feel the need to please and entertain.  The upper classes socially and artistically would then not be as concerned with making people happy and might be free to make their art.  The working class would take any project on, because you don't turn down a gig, but art would be a byproduct - the artist often being unaware that they'd created something worthy of hanging in a museum. 

Shatner could be said to be the type to just take the gig, working class artist,  and go with it and yet he's made this splash in pop culture that must be art on some level, though he and sometimes we aren't aware of it.  Wayne and Tori are more aware of spending their time on art specifically.  I repeat, this was a bad theory and in truth I was more disappointed in their turning down the Shatner record than I knew until I heard myself spouting crap.  Its called human and I highly advise against it since there are those of us who are probably perfect out there behind a screen name.    Anyway, Wayne certainly has done his share of ripping into others - check out what he's said about Beck.  So he certainly could at least sympathize with my having been careless in my 6th hour of phone interviews one day.   Actually, Wayne had a few not so nice things to say about Ben Folds Five's cover of a Lips song but he left me a phone message years later apologizing - he says he likes the version now.  I'm glad.  I loved the song and that's why I spent time rearranging it.  Not to make fun of it, but to point out how versatile a good song is.

Wow.  See?  I meant to make this brief. Wayne and Tori both know I consider them both to be geniuses and Tori has always been amazing to me.  I did ten minutes of phone interview nonsense that's remembered in infamy yet I probably did hours telling people I thought they were amazing.  We're all fine and have moved on.  I hope that guy on benfolds.org can let it go.  He should be happy someone spent that much time on the subject just because he bitched about it a few times - A few minutes of internet fame before embarking on a life in a cubicle.  I extend for a handshake.  Hell, even a good ol fashioned man hug!

So... what else... The next US tour is going to be quite a bit different.  I thought since touring business is abysmal in the US right now I'd just hire extra people and up the production.  We're even having a production MEETING tomorrow and a week of rehearsals.  This is really strange behavior around here.  But we're having a fine time and the ideas are flying.  I have to stop coming up with production ideas for the fake songs though until we're finished with the songs on the real album and the medley of cover songs.

I've been doing homework today.  I just finished signing a thousand posters of myself to go into a special package.  There's something really wrong with that - not the package, but looking at yourself for that long.  I gave fifteen or so magazines the 'top ten favorite songs' lists they asked for.  I'm reading "My Life" by Fidel Castro and I'm waking up around 4am because I'm jetlaggin' pretty badly having just come in from Japan. 

We've been planning something for Chapel Hill on Sept 18th that I'm told we have to wait a few more days to announce.  There will be those who shit.  I know I will.  Very excited but I gotta hold it in a few more days.  I've been maintaining my caps rule this time!

Anyway, I said I'd come by and post and so here I am.  Thanks for reading.  No hard feelings to the benfolds.org unless that's what you want in which case you can all go smoke a ten foot dick?  Is that in the spirit?  God bless you all.
Love,
ben
general_apathy (Chloe)
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

now here it is, your moment of zen

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »

Yay! As promised, another post from our boy Ben! Thanks a lot. Things get taken out of context way too much...people are so sensitive (and rightfully so, I guess...or not. I don't know). Thanks for clearing even more stuff up. You don't know how much we appreciate hearing from you.

Oh, and nice job with caps!

My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.
Ive Landed

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

I've been doing homework today.  I just finished signing a thousand posters of myself to go into a special package.  There's something really wrong with that - not the package, but looking at yourself for that long.  I gave fifteen or so magazines the 'top ten favorite songs' lists they asked for.  I'm reading "My Life" by Fidel Castro and I'm waking up around 4am because I'm jetlaggin' pretty badly having just come in from Japan. 

You have no idea how much I want that poster! I can't wait til 9.30. I'm more excited about that day than my 21st birthday on the 22nd. Yay Ben! You are so awesome! Cheesy
Hope that damn jetlag goes away soon. That must suck.

'You know what hope is? Hope is a bastard; Hope is a liar, a cheat, and a tease. Hope comes near you; kick its backside. Got no place in days like these.'

-Christine
www.last.fm/user/iheartsuds
speedy_the_drummer

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »

We've been planning something for Chapel Hill on Sept 18th that I'm told we have to wait a few more days to announce.  There will be those who shit.  I know I will.  Very excited but I gotta hold it in a few more days.  I've been maintaining my caps rule this time!

BEN FOLDS FIVE REUNION SHOW!!! I'm calling it right here, right now!!!
general_apathy (Chloe)
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

now here it is, your moment of zen

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »

BEN FOLDS FIVE REUNION SHOW!!! I'm calling it right here, right now!!!

If that happens, it must be recorded, as I live no where near NC. By the way, Ben, in that tour meeting or whatever, you should consider playing in Oregon. Just a suggestion. It's been so damn long. If not, I'll just have to catch you when I'm in college somewhere closer to where you'll be...

My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.
speedy_the_drummer

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »

i live in richmond! not far at all!
Deano

It'll be done when I get round to it....

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »

medley of cover songs

We best get that in London Cheesy
Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »

Up the production you say? You always needed a light show that was fine tuned. Or maybe that's just my OCD kicking in. But really, something consistent or intelligent, would be way appreciated. And not something that's as good as the in house guy or girl happens to be. There have been some great ones across the shows I have seen, and some pretty terrible ones. Am I the only one paying any attention to that? Maybe. But I assure you the rest of you notice on the subconscious level. Anyway, production meetings can be essential. Actually, they are, unless your director's an ass. I hope not.

Production for the fake songs! Hell yeah! Cheesy

September 18th is which day of the week?? A Thursday. Hum. Shitting? Didn't we get that done and over with with Narcolepsy?

Now that you've mastered capitol letters... next up. The difference between its and it's.

I so missed this cause I was watching Obama deliver his acceptance speech.

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

"A spark that's gone is not a spark to mourn, you can't resuscitate a person who was never born."
smoking_panda

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »

I hope this production business doesn't take away from the randomness of your shows, something I really appreciate about you and your live concerts. Same reason I love Guster.
melissa
YaBB God

Explain it to me again and again, like i care.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:37:02 PM »

if september 18 is as big as you claim, i just might have to spend another few hundred dollars to see you.  damn you, ben!  
pay my bills?  please?

btw, CAPS are overrated.

and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/
Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »

You know, all this William Shatner talk is infecting my brain. I spent a lot of time with "William Shatner" yesterday. If Mel hadn't already told you, his biography is pretty amazing. It's hilarious at times, and totally depressing at times. And really, gives Has Been even more meaning.

I'm hearing him dictate things in my head. It's odd. Maybe it's the allergy medication plus reading the entire book in two days... but it's messing with my head. And I miss Boston Legal. :|

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

"A spark that's gone is not a spark to mourn, you can't resuscitate a person who was never born."
Brooooke
YaBB God

"I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »

Hmmmm.

TrashSpork
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »

Cool...Mr. Folds posts again!

I like toast!
melissa
YaBB God

Explain it to me again and again, like i care.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »

You know, all this William Shatner talk is infecting my brain. I spent a lot of time with "William Shatner" yesterday. If Mel hadn't already told you, his biography is pretty amazing. It's hilarious at times, and totally depressing at times. And really, gives Has Been even more meaning.

Up Till Now was a fantastic read.  read it in a day and cried my eyes out listening to Has Been right after.  it's so much more powerful now knowing his life experiences.  that man has experienced more in a month than i can wish to experience in my life, i'm sure.

and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/
caats19

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »

way to get called out !gas!panic! .org represent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: