Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »
you really think the live version of free coffee is less musically interesting? i think it's a lot more interesting than this album version. this version sounds like jesusland with worse chords. i like the live version's chords quite a bit, plus it has that weirdo trippy bridge.
I don't know - it does sound a hell of a lot like Jesusland - even the drums start at the same point... But yes - Free Coffee (Live) is very clever - I like it, but it's very dull. Chorus, verse etc etc, all very samey. Clever, but samey.

the bitch went nuts wasn't that great originally but this one sounds like rent-a-cop, which is all i need to say.
I'm whispering through my doughnut.

Perhaps it's hope as I'm really not overly keen on some of the live tracks...

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
Since weíve got a thousand theories already, hereís mine:
The album is about public humilliation, people wanting each other to fail, right? I think that by posting what some will call a mediocre album on the internet for everyone to download before it hits stores would make the album itself do poorly. Even fans that worship Ben might not purchase the nine songs if they feel they are not worth the price. Ben would fail, and his loving fans would be the ones responsible. Isnít that funny?

Idunno. It makes some sense to me. Either way the record will do just fine. Iíll buy it on vinyl and everything (if it comes out on vinyl, lets not start that rumor yet). And Iím not saying Ben would do this sort of prank, but he did make me and everyone at James Madison University shit our pants once.

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »
Also I should note that I don't think Ben Folds failing is funny unless he planned it all. Just sayin'.

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
So Ben put this out there because he wants himself to fail?

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
No, because we'll find out whether they're real or not by then.

Offline Allison

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
Gotta say the fact that SFS had no b-sides (except Bitches, which ended up on SSSG anyway) was kind of sad.

wasn't Side of the Road an SFS B-side? (Also, you might be able to count the strings version of Landed.)

I always think of Side of the Road with SfG. Which is about when I came into my appreciation of Ben. So perhaps it was? And the strings version of landed was available on the dual disc version of SfS, so I don't think it fully counts.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Eric

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
i hate that stupid dual disc  >:(

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
Gotta agree with the hope, misguided or not, that at least some of the new stuff we're hearing will make the album.

I LOVE Way To Normal and these versions of Cologne/YDKM/Hiroshima (I didn't even really care for the live Hirosh, but this one sounds much fuller). I love them enough that I could live with these versions of Free Coffee and The B**** Went Nuts. (I want the old Brainwashed back though...)

I might even be able to live with Dr. Yang...

There's just a lot of energy and soul in here that I haven't heard in his post-RTS solo stuff, and I'll take a pound of flawed but heartfelt over a sack of bland anyday.

Man, he should just stick everything on the album, duplicate titles and all. Make it a double if necessary. I'll even suffer The Frown Song if necessary, long as it's safely quarantined at the end...

Offline Allison

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »
i hate that stupid dual disc  >:(

Why the hate?

I myself have the DVD/CD bookpackage lot thing of Silverman.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Eric

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »

Why the hate?

I myself have the DVD/CD bookpackage lot thing of Silverman.
i too have the dvd/cd one. which is why i hate the dual disc. i don't have Landed with strings :(

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
Free Coffee (Live) is very clever - I like it, but it's very dull. Chorus, verse etc etc, all very samey. Clever, but samey.

... what exactly is the structure of this version, then? i'm hearing some choruses and verses there.

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
I am thoroughly enjoying this entire ordeal. haha
Oh Ben.

Hey, remember the Kate lip-synching madness a few years back?
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
i think this is being over analyzed. ben has his own studio, he's a relatively clever guy, and probably whipped up each of these songs in less than an hour. this is most likely a joke. i don't think there's a "concept" or "hidden meaning". i just think ben's f*cking with people.

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
i just think ben's f*cking with people.

Well said!
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline Emerald (Sabrina)

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Well, I just found a torrent of 6 of these songs (I don't know why I couldn't find the 9) and guffawed like an idiot for about 10 minutes straight.  These songs are most definitely Ben.  I mean, the voice is absolutely his, and you can hear where at times it edges toward genius and he has to reign it back in to stay...  well, to stay with what he was trying to do.  

1.  Download and install yourself a program like BitTorrent.  
2.  Google the obvious plus the word "torrent."  
3.  Download the torrent.  
4.  If you're asthmatic, grab your inhaler.  
5.  Listen to this little gem.  

"I wanna live in a land where there's free coffee..."  Oh, Ben.  I love it.