Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
OK. Just finished with Bitch Went Nutz... Started "Brainwascht"...

My vote - this is obviously Ben joking. (At least the first 2 I've heard...).

I highly doubt Ben's official release will include lyrics about Dick Cheney, and he's using his "joking" singing voice a lot...

Think about it - hasn't he had a lot of time to tinker with his MySpace photos/etc.? I think he's teasing us. Which is great. This is certainly the Ben Folds I got into in '97. (God, has it been over 10 years?  :P )

Offline cdonovan

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
Wait where do we find these songs?
I'll never make partner at this rate
Not with Jane F***ing Fanda Jr. as my date

Offline Eric

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 12:36:39 PM »
all i want is to be able to listen without thinking that i'm ruining the surprise of the actual release. also... my parents won't let me download "questionable" stuff. if it was Ben himself that put this stuff out there, then it's ok. but the fact that it's a mystery as of right now takes away the choice to download. :(

come on ben. come clean.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »
There's a noticeable difference between the three songs we know are real (You Don't Know Me, Hiroshima and Cologne) and the other tracks. Ben's voice sounds distinctly different, as if those three tracks were professionally produced and the rest were recorded and produced quickly at home.
The Frown Song sounds pretty damn good... Thoroughly enjoying the "album" - I really hope it's a joke by Ben though - I'd be upset if someone who wasn't him had leaked it.

Offline Drawed

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
I think the cover art is fake too... the font/style is just like SFS, and he hasn't been following that theme on his others... doesn't make sense to use the same thing on 2 out of 8 cd's... or even 2/3 if you only count the regular studio albums.
If you can ball like me, it ainít make no difference what team you at

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
Didn't Ben get kind of cross about people reviewing half-finished tracks downloaded from the Internet? Is this some kind of revenge?
Andy said the above on the front page.

What if. The songs he's been playing at the gigs are the fakes? We know he hates reviews on half finished songs recorded on cameraphones...

Although I think that's even more ludicrous to suggest than these being fakes, but hey...

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »
has anyone else noticed that a couple of the suspected fakes "steal" their main piano riffs from other Ben related songs.  Or at least sound alot like it.

For example, the main riff on Dr. Yang is very similar to the first InterFM jingle from SFG...just try to hear the  "Don't touch that dial... it's got Jam on it!!!".  And Brainwascht has a very similar riff to "Backstabber" by the Dresden Dolls, and that of course is a Ben Connection.

It may be a stretch, but it could be another clue towards the fakery.

Offline Drawed

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »
What if. The songs he's been playing at the gigs are the fakes?

That's what I first thought before everyone said that these are the fakes...
If you can ball like me, it ainít make no difference what team you at

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
This is all so very interesting.  Thank goodness for the internet.
I know it's Pit.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
What if. The songs he's been playing at the gigs are the fakes?

That's what I first thought before everyone said that these are the fakes...
The whole altoids thing would be a cool way to ensure it gets around the net too...

Perhaps there are two of every track on the album :)

Offline Allison

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »
Didn't Ben get kind of cross about people reviewing half-finished tracks downloaded from the Internet? Is this some kind of revenge?
Andy said the above on the front page.

What if. The songs he's been playing at the gigs are the fakes? We know he hates reviews on half finished songs recorded on cameraphones...

Although I think that's even more ludicrous to suggest than these being fakes, but hey...
I wish he didn't think my Canon is a cameraphone. my phone doesn't even take video! thanx.

and. if the whole i'm gonna play these old rock this bitches to real songs so y'all think they're the new ones, and then put out a new album with similar titles would be absolutely ridiculous.

man. do we like conspiracy theories or what?

i wonder how long til this tread hits the top 10.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »
and. if the whole i'm gonna play these old rock this bitches to real songs so y'all think they're the new ones, and then put out a new album with similar titles would be absolutely ridiculous.
But - and this is the thing - there are definitely two versions of at least two songs. So one of them is fake - unless they recorded/produced them that far, binned them and started again.

You Don't Know Me = Amazing.

Offline Allison

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
Right. But why continually preform the fake ones? Seems like a lot more work than f*ckin around in the studio to shit out a fake song once and never play it again.

That being said... I want to yell for a fake at my next gig. Whichever is the fake. If "Way to Normal" isn't a real one (i'm out on this one) I'd love to yell for it at a show.

Whatever the case may be, Ben Folds and Co FTW, cause they've got us all befuddled and enthused.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline flutterbee

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
Sorry to be abit stupid, But can someone fill me in if we have heard this song Way to Normal elsewhere?

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
the live versions of TBWN and Brainwashed are both a lot better than these recorded ones though, both musically and lyrically - i have a really hard time believing he'd play better songs as a joke and the real songs would really be this bad. but that's just my opinion over here.