first track i've put on is you don't know which sounds pretty genuine to me

Offline greggraham

Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »
f*ckING HELL YOU DON'T KNOW ME IS ACE! well ELO style

Offline greggraham

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »
sorry for three posts in a row, just to add... thinking about it, from what i've heard so far and from the live versions in general i imagine the press will hate this album.

can anyone confirm that cologne is the same as the version they heard at the studio filming the other week?

Offline pianoman

• Yep, I still exist.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 04:24:16 AM »
this is f*cking hilarious. "if we all could be so free........... coffee."
any idiot who thinks it's all the real album just has to read that paste article. Thanks for keeping us entertained until september ben.

Offline caats19

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »
guys.  i don't get why the .org is such an enigma to you guys.  the big joke is that we all hate ben. tho truthfully, most of us think SFS was his worst album, there's still some that like it but prob still partake in the joke.  as you can see, a lot of the board wanted to hear the new stuff. 

and we're not hoping it's real because it's shit.  if someone said that...it's probably a joke. joke? you know those?

Offline PAUL LLEWELLYN

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 05:20:02 AM »
caats. Okay, I get it. There's just so much "hate" going on over there that to a newbie it seems a little off. I'll have another look-see.

Offline caats19

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
for the most part you just gotta take everything about ben with a sarcastic tone. sometimes, sometimes we just hate him.  the thread about the new stuff was actually kinda genuine discussion about ben(for us anyway).

Offline Drawed

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:20 AM »
anyone wanna upload the tracks to wokeup? *glares at sony's lawyers*
If you can ball like me, it ainít make no difference what team you at

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
yeah where on earth are you getting the idea that we (the .org) believed the album was real? we WANT ben's new album to be good, that's what i think people are misunderstanding here. we're not looking for cheap fodder to further dissect, we actually just want this artist who has written material that most of us love dearly to make music that we enjoy again. silverman took a lot of flack, and that's where all the animosity really comes from. that and the fact that ben is trying way too hard to be funny lately, whereas he was much more charming before when he wasn't trying so damned hard.

and i have to say that i really enjoy hiroshima, cologne (though the lyrics are very iffy), you don't know me (a LOT), and even way to normal. which are the most legitimate tracks on there, perhaps excluding wtn. so things look good.

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 06:11:26 AM »
Andy were you asked to remove the link or were you just playing it safe?
Because it's one hell of a hoax if Sony's lawyers are in on it.

Offline greggraham

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »
ok this is getting out of hand!

a) all the songs on this album ARE ben folds - his voice and piano is on EVERY track. they haven't been made by anyone else, its him.
b) would he really go to the effort of writing, recording and leaking loads of tracks that aren't actually on the album just for a laugh? i doubt it.
c) they're all pretty highly polished, they don't sound like demos (unless ben does REALLY good demos)
d) sony made andy remove the download like

so i think we probably actually have some of the album here.
i'm prepared to eat my words but i just can't fathom ben actually recording all these songs just to release them for a laugh.

for the record, i like most of the tracks a lot (three listens in)
and if these aren't on the album then at least we have some extra tracks, but i still think they're probably mostly legit.

/ over

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 06:42:31 AM »
Jeez, take one day off and, to quote a great scholar of our time, shit gets real.  Seriously, someone PM me and point me in the direction of the tracks.  I want to be in on the discussion and/or joke. 

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:53 AM »
i do not at all believe that ben completely re-wrote free coffee, brainwashed, and the bitch went nuts. nor do i think dr. yang or the frown song are going to be on the album. i just think this might be a pretty elaborate joke on ben's part. the guy's got his own studio, he must have tracked these when he was doing the whole album. i dunno if he originally intended to do this fake leak thing, but they have a very "ben's just screwing around making poop jokes in the studio" vibe to them. three or four of the songs are produced enough to seem real though. if the song way to normal's a joke, it's a joke with a pretty great chorus.

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »

b) would he really go to the effort of writing, recording and leaking loads of tracks that aren't actually on the album just for a laugh? i doubt it.

Yes.

Offline greggraham

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
if we do get another 10 brand new tracks on top of these 9 i'll be well happy as I like these lot, so fingers crossed i guess.

but i just don't think everyone should assume this is definitely a joke