Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline greggraham

Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
off topic, but... where can i get (at least a list but preferable the actual) RTS b-sides? I have hiro's song but what else is there?  :)

Offline Michal

« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
There's Hiro's Song, One Down, The Secret Life Of Morgan Davis, Make Me Mommy, and Girl. I believe that's all of them. Hiro's song is from the japanese release of RtS while the rest are from the 2 RtS singles.
~Michal

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
This is getting out of hand indeed....has no one seen THIS yet?

http://bsfolds.livejournal.com/621.html

Offline Allison

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
Yeah. I saw that. Along side partner org project: http://acelze.googlepages.com/benwatch

funny for a minute.... and then not. my favorite part tho is the sledge bit.

or how's this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Way_to_Normal

or check the comments on: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/07/ben-folds-talks-new-album-and-release-date.html

yeah, but you've gotta consider the RtS b-sides when you say that.  he did all of those in a few days.  it's not like Ben doesn't know his way around the studio and he's got plenty of capable men working with him.  they could easily shit this out in no time, imo.
In no time? Who knows? They've been working on this album since last fall. FALL. It'll have been a year. These could just be the things they were shitting around with in the studio. I mean. come on. Yeah, cleaner than Fannie Packs... but they still had that on NBP.

Quit f*ckin around, I wanna rock!

Ben claims to have a new song in his head every day. If that's true this is no problem for him. And he seems to have been flowing with creative juices recently, what with being okay with Rock this Bitch all over again.  And back in November of 2006 Lindz was talking about that they'd done demos already. So in my opinion this album's been in the brains for nearly two years. And when you own your own damn studio - why the hell not?
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »
read back what you just wrote alison and consider the reality of it. that would be a f*cking lot of effort just for a 'joke'

and all you saying he wacked up these tracks in half an hour, uh uh. :o they'd take much longer than that to record (hours and hours), and then there's the matter of writing the melody, lyrics, some structure, harmony etc. you can't just shit them out (and especially ben considering the lack of SFS b sides and struggle to write original music for OTH)

but even if you don't think it's possible, just look at it this way--
paste magazine said free coffee has the altoids.  our free coffee doesn't have them.  paste has heard the album.  who wins? shady recording or paste magazine?  not to mention, this leak came from a shady post on a shady forum.  not all that convincing.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
i think this is being over analyzed. ben has his own studio, he's a relatively clever guy, and probably whipped up each of these songs in less than an hour. this is most likely a joke. i don't think there's a "concept" or "hidden meaning". i just think ben's f*cking with people.

I agree!  I just listened to the whole thing--parts of it made me laugh out loud!  I definitely think it's Ben with way too much time on his hands.

You Don't Know Me is great, though!  I, too, thought it was probably the single, until I heard "Why the f*ck would you want me back?"
(did you notice he works "errant dog" into these lyrics, and the whole question of why she would want him back?)

I guess this is why I like Ben Folds, although sometimes I wish he would quit trying to be a novelty act...

Offline Kyle

« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »
I listened to all of it.  I think it is a mix of unfinished songs, b-sides, and a few fake songs and I like them more than Silverman.  So much more fun.  The Jimmy Carter line is hilarious.  It's not the final versions of any of the songs.

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2008, 03:49:40 AM »
I'm confused as to why some people are writing off Cologne as possibly part of this big joke idea.  I was at Ben's studio filming a music video for this song exactly as it sounds for 8 hours.  Ben, Sam, Jared, and Tambo-man were there, as well as a full filming crew.  For this reason i would be willing to bet this song has as good of a chance of being on the "real new album" as You Don't Know Me.

And here is a little tidbit for what its worth...

While Jared was training us how to lipsync to the song in the studio Sam came in and started taking pictures/filming (earlier youtube post in this thread).  We listened to the entire song and then Sam started laughing.  He looked at Jared and said, "It made it in!" Jared was unsure what Sam was talking about, so Sam said, "The 'F*ck You'!".  And they shared a smile.

I've listened for it many times now and I am still unsure but I think if you listen to the very end of Cologne on the very last "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" you can hear someone say, "F*ck You".  I've tried turning up the song very loud to hear it, but actually I think it might be more clear if you turn it down and just keep you ear close to the speaker.

Can anyone else hear this?  Am I only hearing it because I want to believe its there?  Let me know!
I know it's Pit.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »
I've listened for it many times now and I am still unsure but I think if you listen to the very end of Cologne on the very last "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" you can hear someone say, "F*ck You".  I've tried turning up the song very loud to hear it, but actually I think it might be more clear if you turn it down and just keep you ear close to the speaker.
Yes, it's there at 5:42. Sounds like Ben.

If you wear headphones and turn on Vocal Booster in iTunes, it's quite noticeable.

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »
I was without Internet for a few days (why does so much always happen on the Internet when I'm without it?!), but I found a link so I gave this a listen.

"Bitch Went Nuts" might trump "Inner City Pressure" (Flight of the Conchords) as the comedy track of the year.  I'm tempted to title this album Bullshit from the Internet.

"Cologne" is the real thing, or at least, the same thing we heard at Ben's studio.  You know what gets me though?  How is it over 6 minutes?  When we were filming, it seemed like 2 or 3!  I can't find what was cut, if anything, so maybe I just have a poor concept of time.

As a legit album, obviously it sucks, but that's not what it is.  For a fake album, it's genius.  He's essentially Banksy'd his own work.  It feels like a .org joke; maybe this is Ben's way of saying he gets it.  It's definitely a clever jab at the Internet.

Offline Allison

« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »
I'm confused as to why some people are writing off Cologne as possibly part of this big joke idea.  I was at Ben's studio filming a music video for this song exactly as it sounds for 8 hours.  Ben, Sam, Jared, Tambo-man were there, as well as a full filming crew.  For this reason i would be willing to bet this song has as good of a chance of being on the "real new album" as You Don't Know Me.

And here is a a little tidbit for what its worth...

While Jared was training us how to lipsync to the song in the studio Sam came in and started taking pictures/filming (earlier youtube post in this thread).  We listened to the entire song and then Sam started laughing.  He looked at Jared and said, "It made it in!" Jared was unsure what Sam was talking about, so Sam said, "The 'F*ck You'!".  And they shared a smile.

Can anyone else hear this?  Am I only hearing it because I want to believe its there?  Let me know!

Oh I was just stirring the pot for more conspiracy theories.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
Oh I was just stirring the pot for more conspiracy theories.

These are all absolutely 100% the album. As I understand it the reason that these songs sound so different is that Sam is actually now in charge of the band. He found some compromising photos of Ben and Jared, and is using the power of blackmail to get Ben to publicly deride himself. Eventually, the label will get fed up and cut Ben loose, whereupon Sam intends to disolve the band and step in to a lucrative solo contract.

Just look at him on stage. He'd got explosives in the front-stage monitors to make sure Ben & Jared keep smiling and playing...

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline Allison

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
^ Best conspiracy theory yet.

Offline wee_lou

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »
ahhh this whole thing is so confusing!!!

i d/l'd a 6 track thing from pirate bay which  is titled "way to normal" but when you open it in itunes, the album title is "doublin' "
it also features 'long way'

sorry if this has been already posted, i've just read this whole topic and .org's topic and can't remember if its been posted!

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
read back what you just wrote alison and consider the reality of it. that would be a f*cking lot of effort just for a 'joke'

and all you saying he wacked up these tracks in half an hour, uh uh. :o they'd take much longer than that to record (hours and hours), and then there's the matter of writing the melody, lyrics, some structure, harmony etc. you can't just shit them out (and especially ben considering the lack of SFS b sides and struggle to write original music for OTH)

It isn't just a joke though. It's also a brilliant piece of marketing. When the story actually breaks, be that when the truth about it comes out it'll be in the music press and all over the file-sharing communities. I'm not saying Ben did this to sell more albums, I'm saying Ben could have convinced the record company to pay for another week or so of studio time for the publicity it'll bring.