Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
"Cause when you're being f*cked with..."

I f*cking love Ben Folds sometimes...

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
so here's what i think is gonna go down...
ben put together this 9 track album cause he knows how mad it would get us.  he took forever in the studio cause he was recording a handful of crap tracks to release to the public in addition to his real songs... the only songs i believe to be real right now are you dont' know me, hiroshima, and cologne.  he released those with the album so that it would be somewhat believable as a fake leak, and because he knows some of us hardcore people have been waiting forever for it.  having a fake leak can stir up interest-- after all, death cab had a widely accepted fake leak and their album went to number one.  the songs that aren't real are very repetitive and go against what we've heard about the album.  of course, this leak is gonna get eaten up and a million people are gonna have it and think it's the real deal and he'll come out sometime later and tell us all how he fooled us, cause he likes to do that.  and then we'll get the real deal in like, a couple months, and all the live songs will be on there plus a couple of good ones we haven't heard yet.  and we'll all be happy.  but then have a cool ass fake leak album.  the origin of these tracks is also mysterious too, so why should we trust it? come on now, some of them are worse then the radio jingles from SFG.

so for the next month, i'll enjoy the real ones and the questionable ones that are decent (frown song, free coffee, and dr yang are terrible.)
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline Allison

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
I've packed my files away in a folder, in my Ben Folds music folder.... but I'm not loading it into my itunes. I didn't listen to a full copy of any of them. Cause. I don't wanna. Waiting for that CD to arrive in the mail... September 29th. Cause goodness knows that's what pre-ordering is for. Day early arrivals in my mailbox!

That being said, Kidney I think your theory up there is very plausible.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
so here's what i think is gonna go down...
ben put together this 9 track album cause he knows how mad it would get us.  he took forever in the studio cause he was recording a handful of crap tracks to release to the public in addition to his real songs... the only songs i believe to be real right now are you dont' know me, hiroshima, and cologne.  he released those with the album so that it would be somewhat believable as a fake leak, and because he knows some of us hardcore people have been waiting forever for it.  having a fake leak can stir up interest-- after all, death cab had a widely accepted fake leak and their album went to number one.  the songs that aren't real are very repetitive and go against what we've heard about the album.  of course, this leak is gonna get eaten up and a million people are gonna have it and think it's the real deal and he'll come out sometime later and tell us all how he fooled us, cause he likes to do that.  and then we'll get the real deal in like, a couple months, and all the live songs will be on there plus a couple of good ones we haven't heard yet.  and we'll all be happy.  but then have a cool ass fake leak album.

sounds like a likely turn of events.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
Someone explain to me where these tracks came from in the first place? Who found them, where were they originally hosted, etc....

do we even know?

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
then again, if they are all real, we have a really freaky album that dips in quality hardcore.  ben's obviously a smart dude though-- he knows crap songs when he hears them, and a couple of them are definately crap... and he knows the internet is a huge leak and everyone gets their albums that way... it's like we're all being set up, but obviously a ton of people are gonna download this... you can bet there's gonna be alot of music news coverage on this.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline Allison

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
the thing is, not many "blog" sites or music sites really have a sense of ben's humor unless they're a more devoted fan.... few, if any, probably know about the whole levitation ordeal, or the improv everywhere bit.... they might've a clue if they saw the myspace broadcast....

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »
I'm so confused.  If this is real, it's essentially a disaster.  I think it's a joke, and I hope I'm right.  It does seem like Ben's humor to do something like this, and yet at the same time it's distressing me because I can't imagine someone taking the time to make a fake album.

Offline Allison

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:10 PM »
Meh. They've got a bit of time off. And who knows. They're full of surprises.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
Having now listened to Way To Normal, this has to be fake.  LOL @ the dramatic vocals..."IS THIS THE WAY TO NORMAL", it sounds like it HAS to be self-parody.

Offline Allison

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:11 PM »
I got a kick out of the album artwork too. For a photography man. hahahaahah. with the little X marks the spot bit. I got a good laugh.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »
This reminds me, when a crappy version of the last CD of the German Rock Band "Die Ärzte - Jazz ist anders (Jazz is different)" got leaked. Everybody was guessing, that the songs were all fake, but in the end they eventually were the right versions (though in better quality). Nevertheless, the cd was a big success and it is still listed at number 5 in the top 100 after more than 30 weeks.

Offline PAUL LLEWELLYN

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 12:21:55 AM »
Funny stuff. TBWN is very funny. I really hope too many people don't think that this is the real deal.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 12:43:57 AM »
the .org want to believe that it's real, for the most part.  but, that's generally because they want to think that Ben produces shit.  hell, if they actually enjoy this album, that'll be the end of the site as we know it.  they won't have anything to talk about.  perhaps they could reminisce on the "sh*ttyness of silverman". 
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline PAUL LLEWELLYN

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
What is it with the .org? I don't get it. Was it set up by Ben haters? Am I missing some history?