Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline Laura

Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »
so where are these tracks, and are they worth listening to?
I almost gave in to positive thinking, but sarcasm came to the rescue

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
Remember last week or thereabouts when the "possible" songs on Wikipedia for WTN included something like "The Happy Dentist Pulling Teeth"? Perhaps the guys planted that there in order to make these seem legit...?  ??? ;D

Offline Drawed

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »
...are they worth listening to?

yes, quite.

Ben Folds = The Ultimate Cheeser
If you can ball like me, it ainít make no difference what team you at

Offline Laura

« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »
so where do i find these mysterious new songs?

Offline fluid

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:36 AM »
In benfolds.org there is a blogspot link there go there QuoteOutOfContext.

It sounds like Ben. In that case, great way to stir up your fans Ben! If this is indeed fake, this is the best fake leak I listened to. I think.
all i have is my one good trick.

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »
the owner of the blogspot got a cease and desist apparently.

Offline fluid

« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
Glad I got it before the cease and desist. In that case, does this mean the said songs are indeed part of the album? That worries me because the only good song there is You Don't Know Me. The rest (whether they are fake or as I've read here in this forum and others as well was that Ben did a one hour studio session and leaked it as a gag) are not that good. At least melody-wise they are Ben-ish. But enough of that.

What does this cease and desist say? Is it because of the YDKM, the only legit sounding song in it?
all i have is my one good trick.

« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »
Just listened to Hiroshima for the first time.  Does anyone else realize that the tune of the chords in the chorus are identical to those in "No One" by Alicia Keys?  It's all I can hear.  Worst!

BTW, none of these tracks are "fake".  It's just questionable whether or not any of them--even the ones people are calling "real"--are actually intended for the album.

Cologne, Hiroshima, and You Don't Know Me definitely stand out, but none of them sound like they have finished mastering.

My guess is we have a mix of "joke" recordings and nearly finished mixes  that we'll hear in their final form when the album comes out in September.

Very exciting!

« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »
Remember last week or thereabouts when the "possible" songs on Wikipedia for WTN included something like "The Happy Dentist Pulling Teeth"? Perhaps the guys planted that there in order to make these seem legit...?  ??? ;D

nah. that was a bunch of people from the dot org messin' around.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:40 AM »
What does this cease and desist say? Is it because of the YDKM, the only legit sounding song in it?
Even if Ben did leak it, it's possible Sony would send a cease and desist anyway, because record labels rarely care what the artist thinks.

Offline Drawed

« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
Just listened to Hiroshima for the first time.  Does anyone else realize that the tune of the chords in the chorus are identical to those in "No One" by Alicia Keys?  It's all I can hear.  Worst!

That is a slight variation on one of the most common chord progressions... like, ever (I-V-vi-IV).  I can assure you that AK didn't make it up, either.

« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »
Of course, you are correct.  I think it's just something about the singing/audience participation in the chorus that adds to the similarity.  I just can't help but hear that stupid song in my head.  Needless to say, it's not a pleasant thing!

Offline Laura

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
even if this is completely fake, or if it's just a gag from ben and the guys,  i gotta say i love the cover

Offline Drawed

« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »
Maybe someone recorded Ben's voice and then used a program to make his own voice sound like Ben's (like in Mission: Impossible 3) and then made up dumb songs and sang them and then recorded the instruments or made them on a computer and then put them together and then put the tracks on the web.  :D

Offline Laura

« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »
you'd think if they went to all that trouble they'd at least use the melodies that everybody is used to...free coffee and brainswascht were extremely different from the live versions he did