Sheffield 8th July

• 37 Replies

Offline Euan

Sheffield 8th July
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:04:50 AM »
Date now fast approaching.  As Andy suggested on the front page, anyone fancy a meetup while we're there?  Never been to Sheffield before so dont know wheres good or where anything really is. But yh, i'll be around before and even a few hours after the gig, if anyone fancies a meet/drink/whatever?

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
Re: Sheffield 8th July
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:56 AM »
I'd be up for that as am travelling up on my own anyway. Never been there before either though.

Offline Euan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
Yeah im goin it alone aswell. 6 mental megabus hours from edinburgh. If i arrive without shooting myself - anyone in Sheffield know of a good pub nearby or whatever. Dont know what time suits everyone but my bus gets to sheffield meadowhall for 16:30 so after stumbling around trying to find out where the f*ck i am, prob be city centreish for bout 17:30. And then again back at meadowhall for like 2am or some stupid time in the morning. Gonna be a looong day.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:53:15 AM »
I'll be there in the afternoon - taking a half day at work so I don't have to run!

I used to use the megabus - 5 hours - when Ben was in London. I never thought I was capable of strangling strangers until I used MegaBus.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:04:12 AM »
Yeah im goin it alone aswell. 6 mental megabus hours from edinburgh. If i arrive without shooting myself - anyone in Sheffield know of a good pub nearby or whatever. Dont know what time suits everyone but my bus gets to sheffield meadowhall for 16:30 so after stumbling around trying to find out where the f*ck i am, prob be city centreish for bout 17:30. And then again back at meadowhall for like 2am or some stupid time in the morning. Gonna be a looong day.

Meadowhall is miles away from Sheffield city centre. You would be best getting on a Supertram from there to the city, but you should find your way round no problem.
Wish I was going to Sheffield now too, but I am going to the Nottingham gig on Monday and dragging the long suffering hubbie along. ;)
And you can see the daisies in her footsteps

Offline Euan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 05:22:39 AM »
I never thought I was capable of strangling strangers until I used MegaBus.

Well luckily you guys dont qualify as total strangers. But yeah thanks for the graphic description of the emotions I am now looking forward to experiencing.

So does anyone know of anywhere that would make a good meetup place? Hopefully nearish to the academy cause i now have a rough idea of where that is. Just need to find out the nearest supertram stop now. Anyone any ideas??

Offline Deano

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
So does anyone know of anywhere that would make a good meetup place? Hopefully nearish to the academy cause i now have a rough idea of where that is. Just need to find out the nearest supertram stop now. Anyone any ideas??

I don't think any of us have a clue about Sheffield at all... I know the venue is near the train station so it must be fairly central. Anna might know somewhere as she's somewhat local, I'll point her in the direction of this thread when she gets back from London...

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:52:21 AM »

I don't think any of us have a clue about Sheffield at all... I know the venue is near the train station so it must be fairly central.

Hi
I live fairly near Sheffield (12 miles sounth)
Click on this link, and then click Map of Sheffield City centre which should have all the tram stops on it:
http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/maps

As for a venue - the Academy itself has several bars, so I would suggest you all meet there - look on the Sheffield Carling Academy website. If not, just meet there as a starting point - you'll soon all find a bar you like and move onto - Sheffield has millions!

Wish I was coming too and could meet you all, but I'm at the Nottingham gig tomorrow instead as a Monday was more convenient....can't wait!

Enjoy on Tuesday!
And you can see the daisies in her footsteps

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 04:24:26 AM »
You could meet at the millenium gardens. They're fairly near.

Offline Euan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 06:10:54 AM »
I quite like the sound of meeting at the academy itself.  Should be easy enough to find hopefully.

Offline Euan

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:48:59 AM »
This meet hapenning then. Dont know what times people are goin, but I reckon I'd be around for 17.30 at the latest, which I know means only an hour or so before the gig but still better than doin nothin alone beforehand.

Offline Deano

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 06:49:14 AM »
PM me your mobile numbers and we can meet outside the venue I guess then.

Offline Euan

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:56 AM »
PM'd, same for anyone else, if u wanna fire me a PM we can exchange mob numbers or whatever.

Offline Deano

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »
He played Tom and Mary. And Emaline. And the Japanese radio jingles. And the theme from Peanuts (Anna spotted that not me). And a couple of improvs (Rock this Bitch, The Piano Hurt My Hand, Carling Academy). Loads of other stuff of course.
Philosophy was awesome and went completely into Pyser at the end with the Pyser ending rather than going back to Philosophy. Bitches Ain't Shit is back. BOWCCL, Kate (why do I always have crushes on girls mentioned in Ben Folds songs... I need to avoid meeting anyone called Kylie), RTS, Jesusland, Errant Dog, Fred Jones, Kylie, Free Coffee, Benny Hit His Head (Hiroshima, but he seems to be calling it that now). Andy has a full setlist but didn't text it to me yet.

Was cool to meet Andy, Mrs Andy, Euan and Anna (we finally actually managed to meet up!).

Offline Allison

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
TOM AND MARY?

WHAT?

I thought he haaaaaaaaaaated that song.

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!