April 24-25, 2008...COR: really April 25-26…Spokane and Pullman, Washington

• 33 Replies

Offline TrashSpork

Batteries-check…MiniCam-check… SD cards-check… pen & notepad for setlist –check…earplugs-check(I’m pretty vigilant about hearing protection regardless of the source of emission…be it Mr. Folds band or stray machinery on the street. Friday’s show at Gonzaga is general admission seating which will make it interesting…Tomorrows at Washington State University is assigned and I have what I hope is a pretty good seat on the floor. I promised a certain “ChudleyCannons” that I would take good notes….I’ll do my best (she has set the bar quite high hasn’t she!)  and post them in this thread.  ;)
I like toast!

Offline Allison

Re: April 24-25, 2008…Spokane and Pullman, Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
I'm holding you to it! :P

Set list - and then any random bits of information Ben spews is all I require. :P
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline TrashSpork

Re: April 25-26, 2008…Spokane and Pullman, Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
Ben Folds at Spokane Washington April 24,2008 April 25,2008

Something with the Stage wasn’t quite right. Kinda Spinal Tap-ish as Ben Lee had some problems with the jack plug in his guitar…It kept clipping and not sounding right. Ben and Jared remarked that they were getting shocked from time to time by the mikes as I guess there was a ground problem somewhere. Made for some funny remarks along the way when the electronics acted up. Ben Lees set was fun. The crowd liked him quite a bit from the applause and the number of people who went to buy his CD.

Ben Lee 7-740 PM. 9 tunes. I'll list them later.

Ben Folds 8-947 PM

1.  Errant Dog
2.  Gone
3.  Bastard
4.  Free Coffee
5.  All you can eat
6.  Annie Waits – during this tune or the earlier one “Tambo Man” and “The man who invented time” were hurrying
                          to adjust Jarred’s Bass Amp to hopefully stop the electric shocks I think?
7.  Hiroshima
8.  Landed
9.  Lullabye
10. Battle of who could care less
11. Zak and Sara
12. Bitches aint Shit – This was the most popular song with the crowd but I think there was a few who were still shocked
                                by it. Ben messed up the synth break in the middle so they started part of it again. This isn’t one of
                                my favorite tunes  but Ben had fun with it so I enjoyed it.
13. Losing Lisa
14. Theme from Dr. Physer (the entire instrumental)
15. Brick
16. Ben left stage and on his way out asked Sam & Jarred to play the theme from “Barney Miller” but instead they
     played  some instrumental with “The guy who invented time” playing Ben’s Piano. Ben came back and joined
     them ½ way through on his red Nord synth. (I guess this was Ben’s bathroom break?)
17.  Narcolepsy…with the occasional “Brown” note thrown in on his Nord synth. Each time he threw in that low Brown tone
                         he had a mischievous look on his face! He didn’t tell the crowd what he was doing but I and some others
                         knew.  The tune also was that extended version he does from time to time.

18. Army
19. Kate
20. Rockin’ the Suburbs
21. Underground
22. Not the Same
--------------Left stage then came back for the following tune------------------------------
23. Effington
24. One angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

I didn’t take any video of this night as I was sitting stage right and had good view of his keyboard and hands but I think the video would have not turned out too well. This Spokane show was general admission and the one tomorrow in Pullman is assigned seating and I think I’ve got a good seat. The arena security and staff were nice and didn’t have an issue with cameras or the like. Ben stated that this was the first time he and the ban performed in Spokane. The crowd liked him. I estimate around two thousand were there but I could be wrong about that. Ben also remarked during the show that he and tambo man were getting over some awful colds.

I like toast!

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
Re: April 24-25, 2008…Spokane and Pullman, Washington
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:56:18 AM »
Sweet, OAD.  \m/

Lovin' the old school stuff they're bringin back, said it before and I'll say it again.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
Kate.
I hate the east coast and midwest for existing.
and i wish i were closer to washington. even though oregon borders it, it's much too far to walk...
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Allison

You know, I think he's only playing out Errant Dog, Effington, Hiroshima and Free Coffee now. He was goin on about  secrets the other day- and I'm thinking he realized that they'd played eight of them already. (granted, who knows what You Don't Know Me is like now) but. I gotta say, I miss Brainwashed and Kylie. Sniff. Kylie came up on my shuffle today... and I remembered how much I love that song.

And Chloe, I'm hurt that you hate me for my existence. :'(

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
i also hate the midwest for their hoarding of Ben.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

No, see, here's the solution. Y'all move in. We'll create a real life Effington, IL cause it doesn't really exist.

Offline melissa

oh that's a great solution.  we'll pool our money together and buy an acre of land in the middle of nowhere and create a commune.

Offline Allison

hell yeah. :P

though, the only brainwashing that'll be going on in our commune is the song.

Offline TrashSpork

Ben Folds and Ben lee April 26, 2008
Pullman, Washington

Main things to note from this show:

Ben lee accidentally started his set at 7 but the tickets stated the show started at 7:30. He didn't catch this until he tried to end his set & someone from the tour ran up from behind the stage & told him he had to play for another 20 min or so. The mistake made for an even better set by him that the one in Spokane. I have video of some of it...the best part being when Mr. Lee invited a guy on stage to play guitar and they both made up a song together. The young man (Craig I think?) (his name was Brian) was quite enthusiastic. I'll try to get it up on youtube soon.

I was sitting in front of an "air drummer" at the Spokane show. At the Pullman show I was in the front row between 4 "air piano players". It's nice to see that enthusiasm in the crowd. I took plenty of video...I'll see how it turns out and dump some of it onto youtube soon.

Ben and a good portion of the tour have some crud/cold that they are all trying to get over. This is confirmed by Ben stating it during the show and also from the woman selling the Ben merchandise in the lobby. My theory is that all the shaking of hands without liberal use of Purell immediately afterwards gave someone a momentary case of the "Butt Hands" (Thats a term a paramedic I worked with a few years ago used to call it) and that got the bug going round the group.

Set list (beginning might be out of order)

1.  Errant Dog
2.  Coffee
3.  All U can Eat
4.  Landed
5.  Annie waits
6.  Lullabye
7.  Hiroshima
8.  Still fighting it
9.  Battle of who could care less
10.Brick
11. Losing Lisa
12. Fred Jones (solo)
13. Luckiest (solo)
14. Narcolepsy (with "Moby" as special guest on keyboards?...funny bit I caught on video)
15. Army
16. Kate
17. Zak and Sara
18. Rockin' the Suburbs
19. Underground
20. Not the Same

There was no encore...which shocked the audience...so it was sort of an anti-climatic ending to the show that had many remarking on their way out that it was the first show that they had ever been to where there wasn't an encore. I would take this fact to mean that Ben was probably not feeling all that good. Hopefully his wife will velcro a jumbo size bottle of Purell to his sleeve before he leaves the house. (Remember to wash the hands Mr. Folds!)

I'll repost when I get the video up.

I like toast!

Offline melissa

he must've felt pretty bad.  that's a surprisingly short set list. 
so, this craig fellow...  i'm wondering if it's the same craig from allison's show.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
No, see, here's the solution. Y'all move in. We'll create a real life Effington, IL cause it doesn't really exist.

Ooh, sounds neato! I'm in!
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Allison

Nah. not the same Craig. I've been talking to the Duluth-Craig via youtube.

And the set's only one song short - the encore; his average was about 21 for most shows this tour- except duluth.

he didn't seem sick then- i hope we didn't get him sick by his standing out in the cold with us.

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
While the town of Effington, IL doesn't exist, there is a town called Effingham, IL.  And if you are coming from the South, Effingham is on the way to Normal, IL.  They are less than two hours apart.  Fun fact.
I know it's Pit.