April 20th, 2008 - Duluth, MN

• 55 Replies

Offline Allison

April 20th, 2008 - Duluth, MN
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:29:43 AM »
This my friends, has to be one of the best shows I have seen. Ben seemed to be really into it, and played us a huge set list. After all the misadventures (read; had no where to sleep/slept in a parking lot in duluth for three hours, and that was it) it all came together. Even though, we JUST got home and we left Duluth HOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRSS ago. And the deer in rural Wisconsin seem to want to JUMP in front of my vehicle. Which isn't really that smart of them, but no worries, didn't hit any of them.

1. Errant Dog
2. Gone
3. Jesusland
-- Then Ben told us that this was the furthest North they think he's ever played, in the US, and then proceeded to tell us a story about back in the day of BF5 they were playing a gig in northern Wisconsin and it was apparently -40. (I wonder if Ben's ever actually experienced -40, or just once it becomes -5 it jumps to -40....... there's a difference between f*cking cold and HOLYf*ckINGgodd*mn cold. anyway) and ben said that that was "f*cked up" and he and someone who's name I can't recall were hauling the piano out of their yellow bus into a club they were playing, but had to leave it half way and the cars were passing it by, and then when they did get the piano in the club the hammers were frozen so it sounded "icy" but then as the show went on they melted and the piano steamed, and then cause the hammers were now wet it was a dull sound.
THEN Ben told us he wanted to take a picture of us. (I had seen that he had carried something extra on stage) So he took a picture of center, I doubt his camera was a wide enough angle to capture where we were - our regular left of keys location, but anyway, and then he hopped down into the pit and took a picture, well, Jared took the picture of Ben with the audience guys that were there. He said he wants to do it at every show, but who knows if that's true. But here's a way to find out if you're going to a gig. If there are randomly new and exciting light fixtures in front of Sam's riser, and they are facing the audience, and you're feeling like you want to be in a picture of Ben's, position yourself in front of them. THEN back to the show.
4. There's Always Someone Cooler than You
5. Hiroshima
6. Free Coffee + shaker again
7. Annie Waits
8. You to Thank
9. Still Fighting It
- Then we were informed that 4/20 is Joe Costa's birthday. So someone with a camera, even though they weren't allowed in, from the audience - a Craig character I had talked to earlier- jumped on stage and filmed us singing Happy Birthday to Joe Costa, which Ben informed him to put it on youtube later. However. I don't think it happened, cause the battery to the camcorder was in the audience with us.
11. Craig I Need You improv (where Ben said Rock this bitch once, so maybe it counts as RTB, probably..... though the lines were "Craig I need your camera..... Craig, I need your shirt.... Craig, I need your body fat...... Craig I need your .... giggle... big fat dick" and so forth.)
12. Bastard
13. Landed
14. Pyser
15. Zak and Sara
16. Narcolepsy (which someone yelled for Bitches Ain't Shitas Ben was starting the song and Ben sang some little ditty about how it's not proper edicate to yell for a song when someone's already started the next song, though he appreciates the knowledge of their "broad repertoire" and then that meant as punishment they weren't gonna play it. ..... for another 20 minutes)
17. Alice Childress
SOLO:
18. Fred Jones Part 2
19. Cigarette per mine and Brooke's request - which Ben made that ooo, a difficult one look, and Brooke actually, mid song, had to tell ben what the next chord was. And it's not that long of a song. He did explain the entire thing before he played it. It was nice of him.
20. Luckiest
Band Back:
21. Lullabye
22. Losing Lisa
23. Bitches Ain't Shit
24. Underground
25. Rockin the Suburbs
26. Kate
27. Not the Same
(somewhere up there Jared looked at Sam and said "wow".... Brooke and I had been saying that from the point when Ben sent them away, we'd though the show was near over with Alice Childress......)
Encore:
28. Effington
29. One Angry Dwarf

And then Ben was less anti-social, and actually really friendly. Me and my sisters took our family Christmas card photo with mr. folds last night. hahaha. and Jared says hi Andy.  It was good times. I hadn't talked to Ben in so long. And I apologized for thinking he was angry. He laughed. good. good. Now. I am thinking about sleep. until tomorrow.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Re: April 20th, 2008 - Duluth, MN
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:06:06 AM »
WOW. That is a ridiculously long set list. Did you happen to get a video of cigarette??
I know you're in there, I can see you. You're saying you're okay, I don't believe you.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
that setlist is massive.  energy must have been abounding.
thanks for the call during Cigarette.   ;D
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Brooooke

• "I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »
that show was so f*cking personal.  i hadn't felt audience interaction like that in soooo long.  And ben was sooo happy.

I AM HAPPY!

Offline Allison

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
no video, there were no cameras allowed last night.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
Me = even more jealous of you than I was to begin with. Which I didn't think was possible.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Allison

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
i have hopes that your time will come. especially if you move to the midwest. cause this behavior of mine is really only possible when you're central in the states.

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »
If the setlists are anything like that in Europe, I will be very, VERY happy. Sounds like you had an awesome night! I'm jealous.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
i have hopes that your time will come. especially if you move to the midwest. cause this behavior of mine is really only possible when you're central in the states.

I'm working on it. If it does happen it'll be in a little over a year, so that's not too long of a wait.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
To everything everyone has said about this show, I wholeheartedly agree. This was the best Ben show we've been to and it was even better because we got to meet so many of you. I got a bunch of pics from St. Peter and Duluth that I'll post eventually.

I can't wait until the next show - we're thinking VA and NC...

Have I said you all rock yet?

Offline Allison

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:04:49 AM »
Yah! Join the fun in VA and NC.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »
Jeez.  We might as well cal the Wolf Trap show BurbCon-o-Rama 2008, lol. 

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »
Me and my sisters took our family Christmas card photo with mr. folds last night.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Picking Ben out in photos with his fans on the net has a "Where's Waldo" feel to it that I enjoy. :)
Oh...and I already commented in another thread about it but that set list is amazing!
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2019854&l=3e1b6&id=123700160

it's the last photo in the set. I'll up them to photobucket for a higher res than facebook ups at when i return to school this weekend.

and Burb convention it is!

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
Ben's worst nightmare used to be allison.  now, it's allison AND her two younger sisters. 
she's multiplying, Ben.  RUN!   :P
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/