SEXED UP! Oshkosh 4/17/08 *now with pics!*

• 19 Replies

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
SEXED UP! Oshkosh 4/17/08 *now with pics!*
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
Where's Allison, she needs to post the setlist, as I do not have one.

Um, highlights.....

Crowd was HORRIBLE. 80% of the kids were there to see Jack's, and there were groups of them shoving themselves to the front of the line and drinking alcohol out of energy tea bottles and stealing t-shirts and being annoying and shoving people and being dumb and smelly.

Even the Ben Folds fans were kind of misinformed and lame, we got accosted for chanting SUCKS after the BEN FOLDS part of the chant. Seriously people, do your research. Most of the Jack's fans left anyways after thier set. But those who stayed just kinda of stood there during Ben, not knowing any songs except maybe Luckiest. And Bitched Ain't Shit. SO glad he brought that gem out.  ::)

Opening college band was meh, with thier gay sign.

Ben Lee was funny and witty and Australian.

Jack's Manniquen (I totally spelled that wrong but don't care) was way too f*cking loud and way too emo and here's every intro to every song they played "This song is about girls, and friends, and drugs, and alcohol, WHOO!"
TOTALLy a rip of of Ben's style. I mean, I give the dude credit for all the energy he had and banging on that shiny new piano, especially with his feets.

Ben came out and played a pretty standard setlist, except he banged out BATTLE OF WHO COULD CARE LESS with the band. Talking to Jared and Sam afterwards, they said they're playing alot of older stuff and haven't even been rehearsing them! Amazing cause it sounded AWESOME. And not just that song, but every song. It's been awhile since I've been THAT close to the stage and THAT close to the speakers and STILL it sounded great. Not all loud twangy piano with drowned out vocals like Jack's.

Ben refused to play Girl for Allison though. We tried.

OH! There was a VEERRRYY long Narcolepsy durning which Sam was rocking it so f*cking hard his glasses took a stage dive off his face, bounced off the drums, and went flying. They were okay. Errant Dog opened the show and Effington was in the encore, and Hiroshima was in there and Free Coffee, but no Bitch Went Nuts(or Nutz, whatever, I hope it's Nuts on the album, Ben's trying to get all trendy in his old age) or Brainwashed, of course.

We booked out to the back of the huge ass arena but Ben had already gone, Jared and Sam were out there but even they were in a hurry to leave (it was midnight at this point).

So yeah, Allison, fill in the blanks!

I took some sh*tty pics of my cell because there was a STRICT no camera policy. Even took some short video. I'll post it up tonight it they're any good.

Offline Allison

Re: SEXED UP! Oshkosh 4/17/08
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »
HAHAHAHAH SEXED UP.... ooooohh, yeah.

Can't say we actually tried for that song. But for some stupid reason, that probably relates to Mel, I couldn't get it out of my head pre-show. Ugh. Stupid song.

Here's the set list!

1. Errant Dog
2. Gone
3. Hiroshima
4. Bastard
5. Landed
6. Free Coffee
7. Annie Waits
8. All U Can Eat
9. BATTLE OF WHO CAN f*ckING CARE LESS. the f*cking was added by me.
10. Zak and Sara
11. Lullabye
12. Still Fighting It
13. Narcolepsy
14. Fred Jones Part 2 (solo)
15. The Luckiest (solo)
16. Bitches Ain't Shit
17. Army
18. Rockin the Suburbs
19. Kate
20. Philosophy + Inc Mirsilou
Encore:
21. Effington
22. Underground
23. Not the Same

Oh and Ben Lee's set list, if you're interested;

1. Into the Dark
2. Numb
3. What Would Jay-Z Do?
4. Gamble Everything for Love
5. Let Go, Give In, Give Up, Surrender
6. American Television
7. Catch My Disease

and yeah, no camera policy was pretty rough, specially cause we were in a freaking GYM, what's it gonna hurt? Ugh. Anyway. I would have filmed Battle if it hadn't been for that. But you know, my camera was in the car.

Jared said, when I asked, that they didn't practice any of these old songs, they just play them. Which has got to mean that Jared and Sam listen to Ben's old stuff, cause they had the harmony bits spot on. It was basically amazing. I think we all had seizures.

boys asked me how many set lists i have- 20. well. not set lists. last night was show 20. i've only been taking sets since show 4. and i didn't take one at the myspace gig, cause that'd be pointless. and i lost the one from Purdue in Indiana, somehow. but they said something about "that guy who's been to 50" and i said, "oh justin, i know him now." "nice guy." so there you go. uw-oshkosh-bgosh was a good show even if most people were there to see jack's. who all I could hear was vocals and no freaking piano.

BUT. that guy, you can tell he's a bf5 fan, totally has some of ben's old shticks in his routine. Like standing on the keys and stuff. After they were done, i looked over, and went. HUMMMMM I WONDER WHERE HE GOT THAT ONE!?

and those girls that were pissed about "ben folds" "sucks" were so confused when I explained it to them. beckys. blah.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
stupid beckys!!

and battle of who could f*cking care less.  hot damn.
in another note... why does he seemingly only pull out cool shit when i'm not there? 
not cool, benjamin.
although, i did get eddie walker, emaline, time, and short bus benny.

... ok, i take the above statement back.

btw, i'm gonna be REALLY bummed if he plays Girl for you.  that's my song, bitches!
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
It's good to be "that guy." What a fantastic setlist, though it's a shame you had to share the night with such a crappy crowd. I can't believe they whipped out BoWWCL! That's one of my all-time favorites. You guys are quite lucky.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
Hah, got my pics off my phone onto my laptop this morning before work. They are so sub-par it is not even funny. But, alas, I will upload them somewhere (and the video clips of Luckiest and Army(?) that I took to YouTube if they sound okay) sometime tonight if I have time.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »

Um, highlights.....

Crowd was HORRIBLE. 80% of the kids were there to see Jack's, and there were groups of them shoving themselves to the front of the line and drinking alcohol out of energy tea bottles and stealing t-shirts and being annoying and shoving people and being dumb and smelly.
...edits...
I took some sh*tty pics of my cell because there was a STRICT no camera policy. Even took some short video. I'll post it up tonight it they're any good.

I would agree that is annoying crowd behavior and disappointing camera policy...however the set list doesn't look too shabby.
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »
if you're really bothered for my full little journaly thing about this here day.
Brooke came to get me. We headed up to Oshkosh, got there around 3, and there was already a line. But not exactly the kind of people I suspected to see at a FOLDS show... and literally within seconds of us arriving who other than Jesus123 (from the .org) shows up after. Flash from the past. Well. Not really all that much, saw him at the Summerfest/Mayer gig. Chris/Benfolio joined up with us not too much later. And I called a friend from high school to tell her I was there. And eventually we found each other, and I guess the Johnny Depp movie was being filmed in Oshkosh at the time- and right outside Natalie's apartment. So she wakes up to gunshots. And Johnny Depp.

SO this was the Ben/Jack's Mannequin gig. Everyone in front of us in line was there for Jack's Mannequin. I prayed to the gods of piano rock that the JM (john mayer? :P) piano would face the opposite direction. cause those emo kids were getting on my nerves. not kidding. They cut in line, whined a lot, and were there at 9:30 AM. WTF. I don't show up that early for Folds gigs. And Brooke and I together are pretty ridiculous when it comes too following Mr. Folds. Anyway. So there were these kids that were begging and pleading for the event staff's shirt. Which, Brooke pointed out that Ben looked like Jesus on it. (as in Jesus, the Christ, not Ryan Day) So, Chris, Brooke and I blended the name to be Bejeesus Flist. Ben+Jesus, Folds+Christ = Bejeesus Flist. I'm gonna have to make a mockup of this for you to really understand. But it had one of those sunburst things in the background, and it was all black and white, with the smirky shot of Ben that's a recent publicity shot from last summer.

There was NO PHOTOGRAPHY - like they'd keep your camera. Which was a shame, had a great location. Cause, the gods of piano rock heard my prayers and did have JM's piano on the other side of the stage. THANK YOU. Cause all those emo kiddies went to stage left, and brooke, chris and i without problem, were front row (with the barrier) right behind where Ben's piano would later be. I could see the spike tape. not a theatre nerd. promise.

First up was The Smack. Which was a cheesy on campus band. I thought the bassist was decent. I couldn't tell you much about the drummer. He sounded good where I was at. And the guest appearing saxophonist was good too. BUT. the lead guy made me want to punch babies. Seemed really c*cky and thought he was cool shit. Which shit is right.

Then it was Mr. Ben Lee. Who's set was a bit short cause of all the other stuff. But it was as follows-
1. Into the Dark (which is one of my favorites from AITNS)
2. Numb (one of my favorites from RIPE, he was playin my set list, without knowing it!)
3. What Would Jay-Z Do?
4. Gamble Everything for Love
5. this song I didn't know "Let Go, Give In, Give Up, Surrender"?
6. American Television
7. Catch My Disease (which people finally recognized)

-- Mr. Lee threw in a lot of funny things. Like for Numb he had his ipod to run WASO in the background. Then he had "meaningless instrumental bridges" it was a good time. He was more interactive I think this time in comparison to when we saw him in September.
-- Random thoughts on Ben Lee: It always makes me think how weird it must be for him to go from being OMFG famous in Australia to WTF in America. He only has 2 mil plays on last.fm. Kweller has 4. Bf5 has 6. Solo Folds has 9.

Then Jack's Mannequin. I only know that one Bruised song. They played it. The lead guy talked about how Folds is one of his heroes. You could tell he'd been a Ben Folds Five fan. He stood on the piano keys, and stuff like that. Though, I kept thinking he was going to have a seizure how much he ran around the stage. I don't know about their sound guy- but really? there was not enough piano in the FOH mix. Not enough at all. Maybe they don't know how to mic their piano. That's possible. It's a pretty tricky business.

Then we waited for Ben. We saw on the back, er, Chris did, of these VIP passes, that Ben was only supposed to play for an hour. We were way bummed about that- most expensive gig of Ben's in a long time. But we were happily rewarded with a full set.
1. Errant Dog
2. Gone
3. Hiroshima
4. Bastard
5. Landed
6. Free Coffee (so great to have the distortion pedal working again. it sounds a lot better that way)
7. Annie Waits
8. All U Can Eat
9. BATTLE OF WHO COULD CARE LESS! (OH BROOKE, CHRIS AND I JAMMED. And I think we all pointed at ben during 'you're my hero i confess')
10. Zak and Sara
11. Lullabye (it was cool to hear as a full band, but the clapping doesn't catch on then)
12. Still Fighting It
13. Narcolepsy (we started to panic here, thinkin the show was near over)
SOLO:
14. Fred Jones Part 2
15. The Luckiest
Band Back
16. Bitches Ain't Shit
17. Army
18. Rockin the Suburbs (Johnny Depp Rocked the suburbs... yo.... ben at some point let us know that they too woke up to gun shots from the movie being filmed.... not sure where it fits in the set list, cause it was short, and I didn't write it down)
19. Kate
20. Philosophy + Inc Mirsilou (It was so good to hear again. I missed you Philosophy!)
Encore:
21. Effington
22. Underground
23. Not the Same

It was a pretty standard show from Ben. Though, that BATTLE was RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING. AMAZING. Jared and Sam's back up vocals were spot on. We were sure they'd rehearsed. That and tales of Alice Childress at other shows.

We then walked around to the backside of the venue. Pretty sure we saw Ben's tail lights on his escape vehicle. But talked to Sam and Jared. Sam gave me some shit again about "thinkin ben was mad" ahaha.  When I asked Jared to sign my set list he asked if I had a closet full of them. NO (just a papersleeveprotector thing of them). I did inform them it was show #20. Then they referenced Justin who's been to 50. I'm no where near that. But he's had near 10 years head start. Asked Jared about them rehearsing these oldies. and no. I guess they're just expected to know them. I would imagine that would be a lot of listening to your boss on cd. Wouldn't that be weird? On the road with Ben, and you have his first album playin in your ears so you can get Alice Childress right?

Then we gave up on Ben, and said goodbye to Chris. On the drive home was the creation of Sared and Jam, with some BF5 rock out on the hour drive back to Tosa.

I'll update on the other shows later. It's near 4 am now. and i has shit to do tomorrow before I leave for Brooke's... for cloud cult. TWICE, bitches.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:25:31 AM »
I think he talked about waking up to gunshots right before Hiroshima? He said "I didn't know Oshkosh was so dangerous, I woke up in the hotel this morning to gunshots. Turns out they were filming a commercial... or something..."

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
Pics are FINALLY UP..... http://www.geocities.com/blueneon80/Oshkosh

No, I will not change the names, and no I will not create any more than that lame list view.

But I will add a link to the main page of my website.

ENJOY MY sh*tty CELL PHONE PICS!!!!!!

Offline Allison

Re: SEXED UP! Oshkosh 4/17/08 *now with pics!*
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
These are a SHIT TON better than my cell takes.

I actually kinda like the stool toss one.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:28 AM »
I seem to have good luck catching the stool mid-air.

Offline Allison

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »
that's talent!

so what do you think of this Beejesus Fhlist picture?

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »
HAHAHAHA! i don't know how late i am to posting on this, but since i was a small child i have spent many holidays, funerals, weddings, religious whoo-ha, and the occasional weekend in oshkosh, wisconsin with my boring and horribly dull relatives.

...and when i read sexed up, i burst out laughing.

thanks for making this day great!

Offline Allison

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
But Oshkosh is a big ol' college town? I haven't been there more than twice though. Despite it only being an hour north. Granted for all my family things I go either up to Door County or down to Chicago-burbs.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
oshkosh has three main parts:
1 the college town
2 the suburban/historical district
3 the ghetto

all of which are boring