Ben's Dad, Randy Newman and "I'm gonna take off my pants"

• 1 Replies

Offline TrashSpork

Ben's Dad, Randy Newman and "I'm gonna take off my pants"
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
If I read this earlier on I must have forgotten it...anyhow I either read (or reread it) it yesterday
and it gave me a chuckle.

...from the Official Biography listed here on the burbs site - Rockin' the Suburbs - 2001...
...words...words...words...ah the part that made me laugh at the end...

"As for comparisons to other popular piano men, if you must, we suggest Randy Newman, the under appreciated American national treasure whose poignant songwriting and memorable characters have much in common with Folds' ordinary heroes and victims.

"Yeah! I remember seeing him on Saturday Night Live, and he played that song 'Pants'" muses Folds. "He kept singing, 'I'm gonna take off my pants.' At that point in time I said, 'Yes! That's what I want to do when I grow up.' And my dad got up from his chair and said, 'I wish he'd take off his pants and shut the f*ck up, already.'""
These stories where Ben reminisces about living with his parents really crack me up. I found the song pants on youtube and heard it...Yeah that line "I'm gonna take off my pants" does get repeated often. I could imagine my dad saying the same thing Ben's dad said about it.
 :)
I like toast!

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
Re: Ben's Dad, Randy Newman and "I'm gonna take off my pants"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:41:56 PM »
lolz.  Sounds like my family.  I remember asking for a Super Nintendo and being told that the NES I had was "super enough."