Frally's put out an album.

• 137 Replies

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
Re: Frally's put out an album.
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 03:10:41 AM »
  What is he in now, Bleur? Hahaha.

Even I cracked a smile over that  ;D.
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »
this is ben.

thank you perth girl and the rest of you who took that adelaide sunday mail article for what it was.

i think its generally best if i keep my head down and work and let all the stuff about my personal life blow over but i got a bunch of calls and emails about this article you're talking about, the first being from frally who was pretty bummed and taken by surprise.  she did an interview about her music and the actual article spent little time on that.  she never said any of that other crap, and certainly didn't expect them to take half their copy space on my lyrics.  i'll take a moment to set a few things straight for the few people who have heard it from the wrong places.

its interesting to watch disinformation at work.  i've said very little and so most of the information about the divorce has been sheer speculation.  much of it on the internet.  one source was a stalker who posted as 'fhfyoga' on benfolds.org last year.  he isn't/wasn't well and he is dangerous and he meant to hurt people.  we were all on constant alert and there was even a week where fleur and her daughter juliarose had to move to a hotel.  once we'd identified who fhfyoga was we found he was an everyday professional type, prominent in his field of work.  within weeks of this coming to light he and his wife split, he left his firm and disappeared.  he'd set up elaborate fake email addresses etc.  there's more to the story, but we'll leave it at that.  the posts he left on that site seem to have been the source for a good deal of the ugly stuff that spread from there.  boy did he love that benfolds.org site. perhaps he still pores over the postings under a different name, but then again, there is really something wrong with anyone who obsesses over someone else and then spends time ripping that person apart.  i try not to pay attention to it, but gratuitous negativity that finds a home often snowballs into something much more ominous as we found out last year.

although i would prefer to keep my personal life private, let's clear this up and do a fact check for the very confused adelaide sunday mail/

*  nobody 'ran off' with anybody.  we settled out of court on 'irreconcilable differences'.  not 'adultery' or 'abandonment'.  most intelligent people realize that nobody knows what happens between two people other than those two people.  we tried our best for years to keep a marriage together for our kids but in the end it wasn't even best for the kids to keep trying.  i don't regret the glowing dedications to louis and gracie's mother - they represent my doing everything i could to make it look and feel okay - to do what i hoped was the right thing. isn't that what we all try to do? i like to think so.

* my wife fleur is not and has never been a yoga teacher.  she was the managing editor of a major west indian newspaper, and speech writer to politicians/investment groups.  we obviously didn't meet in april.  we married in november last year and had a ceremony at our house with family in january.

* frally and i were married in 1999, two months before our children were born.  we separated and filed for divorce in 2006 and our divorce was granted by the courts in 2007.  i'll leave you with the facts and the math but I can already tell you none of it equals 9 years except the age of my twins.

*  the article's 'evidence' that my album is about frally and divorce consists of song titles and is pure conjecture. there's no way they've heard any of the songs but the single which they transcribed the lyrics to in an article that they told Frally was to be about HER music.  how disrespectful.

* my trip to Adelaide was NOT promotional as they said, It was to visit  louis and gracie who spend a couple of months a year there with australian family.  we are based in Nashville and live only a few blocks away from each other so that our kids can easily get from house to house.  if i've 'run away' its nice that i had less than a mile to go!

* its michael brauer not brower and as they cited his credits they didn't mention that he's mixed my records for years now.  that might have begun to paint a kinder picture of our post divorce relationship which wouldn't have served the sleazy tabloid piece too well.

it has also been suggested that i lost custody of my kids.  i never lose contact with them.  we're very close, i have them three days a week while i'm not touring and we talk on the phone/internet all the time.
i take them on tour some.  this fall touring will be a little heavier than its been so i'll be flying back to nashville to have the kids sundays-tuesdays while the band and crew get long weekends watching "unbeatable banzuke" on the tour bus in the parking lots of various hotels across our fine country.

and there you have it.  nothing else to tell.

i'll post again next week about album and tour related stuff.  boy i got some shit to tell you.

ben

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Thank you for clearing that up. Some mags are just rags and definitely stir up useless controversy.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to post.
We can't wait for the album  - it sounds great so far.

Offline caats19

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
i'd like to point out that the .org has never condoned that one psycho stalker and all his posts/threads were deleted. and anyway, EVIL MASS MEDIA

Offline DrewMG

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »
iawtp.  when ben contacted steve (of benfolds.org fame) to delete those threads, me and the other moderators deleted them right away.  we may poke a lot of fun at ben folds these days, and i'm sure ben doesn't particularly care for us as a result, but we did as he asked with no hesitation.

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »
Have you tried getting the newspaper to write a retraction or take the articles down? I sent you a message.

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
What a pleasant surprise to come back from lunch to find a note from Ben on our illustrious boards, even if it is under less than auspicious circumstances.

I thought the interview with Frally was unfair to her and to Ben - it should have been much more focused on her album and career, instead of sensationalizing her personal circumstances. I've not listened to her music before, but my interest is piqued now.

The husband and I are of course counting down the days until October, which will see us practically driving across the country for eight shows (holy shit - eight shows! Thank the gods we got raises this year).

And obviously September 30th can't come soon enough... hopefully we can get Ben, Jared and Sam to sign a copy after one of those eight shows :)

Anyway, to Ben, if you read this, thanks for taking time to comment - we love you, love your band and love your music.

Offline Ive Landed

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 11:17:53 AM »
dear ben,
thank you for taking the time to clear all this shit up. i try my best not to read stuff like this, since so many rumors were started last year. i can't wait for your new album. i hope to meet you sept. 30th about a week after my 21st and then die happy.
since you probably are gonna read this...your music has changed my life for the better, for real, your music came into my life right after my nana died and got me through lots of tough times. thanks.
-christine
'You know what hope is? Hope is a bastard; Hope is a liar, a cheat, and a tease. Hope comes near you; kick its backside. Got no place in days like these.'

-Christine
www.last.fm/user/iheartsuds

Offline Allison

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
Well. Phew. I'm not sure what is better, Ben clearing up this shit. I was surprised how scandalous that article made you seem. Though, I still think I'm going to call you Bleur. Except with the really strong-fake French accent. I'm so glad all my French training has turned into something.

Or that I got to update the homepage. (you have no idea. that was thrilling. and terrifying. I was so scared i was gonna f*ck that shit up and have bad links and sound stupid....er) That was new. Not exactly the information I wanted to post in there, but whatever. You'd better come back with that album information as promised.

we tried our best for years to keep a marriage together for our kids but in the end it wasn't even best for the kids to keep trying.

Your kids will thank you for ending it, someday. Believe me. Granted they're a bit younger and probably had less an idea of what was exactly going on, but kids 99% of the time know that Mommy and Daddy aren't getting along very well. Though, my parents kept it on longer until I was 17, and they should have split when I was 5.

Interesting little tidbit. That 'article' about Frally's information has changed. Not a whole lot. But hey, they at least capitalized the B in Ben this time.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Brooooke

• "I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »
ben, thank you for taking the time.  thank you for everything!

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
I think my parents should split. My mom and step-dad that is...even though they are already divorced they still live and pretend they're still married. Eh, they have their ups and downs. Luckily, I'll be out of here soon for college. Not that anyone needed to know all that.
Thanks for linking it, Allison. I probably would have avoided this thread if it weren't for that.
And thanks, Ben. I appreciate you clearing things up.
Glad that's over.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Allison

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Thanks for linking it, Allison. I probably would have avoided this thread if it weren't for that.
I needed whatever excuse to post something actually worthwhile on the homepage. That little "add news item" bit of the page was calllllling me. okay that's a little far, but i really did have an urge to post something.

That being said, I just went back and re-read this thread. Seeing as this thread is from Oct 07. I forgot that the burbs wore a dress. ahaha. that made me smile.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
I forgot that the burbs wore a dress. ahaha. that made me smile.

Haha, I forgot about that too! She's adorable.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline makiko

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
Ben, thank you so much for taking your time to post. I really love Frally's beautiful songs... so I emailed to adelaide sunday mail. They had been changed the title of the article, but there is still a lot of disinformation. They should write a retraction...

Offline Allison

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
I forgot that the burbs wore a dress. ahaha. that made me smile.

Haha, I forgot about that too! She's adorable.

It's a red dress. The only question is, what time period is it from?
And fun fact, you can edit/save changes the home page article. Good, fixed some of my comma splices.