Ben & Amanda

• 146 Replies

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
Re: Ben & Amanda
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
blasphemy!
everybody should listen to the Dolls.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
I agree. It didn't make everybody feel better! It made everyone who listens to the Dolls feel much, much worse that someone exists out there who doesn't!

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »
blasphemy!
everybody should listen to the Dolls.

...I wish they weren't so weird.

Offline melissa

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »
but that would make them a completely different band though.

Offline whenlabratsgobad

• Sham On.
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2007, 03:13:05 PM »
I saw the Dolls in concert last spring...I just didn't know anything about them beforehand.  I had seen Ben in the same place a month earlier, so I spent most my time saying "Yeah, they're good...but Ben's better."

That was actually a really good show, now that I think of it.  CD101, the alternative station in Columbus, has the occasional concerts with a bunch of bands for pretty cheap.  I think that one was Rock Kills Kid, The Sun (a local band), Dresden Dolls, and OK Go.  Note this was right before OK Go did the treadmill video...I had to leave two songs into their set though, thanks to my friend's curfew.

Oh yeah, and the cost for that show?  Five bucks.  CD101 Day is pretty sweet.

Offline Allison

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
OH GOODNESS that's ridiculous. 5 bucks. I'd have killed to see the Dolls and OK Go. Boo to you Steve, Boo to you. I think you owe me five bucks.

And. Yeah, Ben owns the keys a bit more than Amanda does, at this point, but I think part of that might just be that she's on a keyboard. The videos of them playing together are just. OH GOD. That's all. Take that as you will.

I hope the dolls are on The Vacation, because that'd make me more than a happy camper. One of my lj friends was at the Amanda birthday party (which, did you know Jared was the bassist at?) in Nashville, and got to meet her and all that, and then Amanda emailed her yesterday. Apparently, if you write Amanda with your email address she'll email you back. f*ck, how cool is that?

Ben. Learn from your friend. Email me. Ha.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Fongolia

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
I've got a long-winded story on my Dresden Dolls experience last summer while in Toronto, rehashed from my blog: 

I paid close to 45 bucks (crazy service charges!) for the Dresden Dolls/Panic at the Disco! concert. At the time, I had never actually heard of the so-called headliners and left after the D-Dolls finished their 45-minute set to catch a bus and rush north to Bloor Cinema where The Dresden Dolls were presenting a sort-of film festival "thing". In their own words: "F*CK THE BACK ROW! A Night of Short Films and Dadaist Vaudeville with The Dresden Dolls & Co". Now I paid $10 for this show and take a wild guess which show was unbelievably great, unique, bizarre, and shocking and makes anything else pale in comparison?? I thought I'd be checking out a couple short films for an hour, then Amanda Palmer would play some solo stuff and I'd be in/out in 2 hours. Wrong, wrong, wrong. By the time the night was out, I'd spent nearly 5 hours at this "show". The show included some wonderful little films and music videos, a thoroughly engaging performance by The Lollipop People, a ragtag orchestra that evoked the sounds of The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (that's a plus, if you're not sure), and a man lighting his penis on fire. I can only imagine the collective jaw dropping of the crowd as the delirious guy on stage with scenes from The Devil's Reject on the screen, ripped off his dress and, I repeat, lit his penis on fire. Two hours later as Amanda Palmer hit the stage, people were still talking about "it" in embarrassed guffaws and it was universally declared that that was the pinnacle moment of the evening and could not be topped. Then the entire audience went into a hushed trance as Amanda played through solo piano songs and soundtrack covers, which as someone obsessed with both films and cover songs, was absolutely brilliant.  Later in the set, her hitherto unidentified "Special Guest," which was quite possibly the worst kept secret since The Crying Game, joined her on stage. Lo and behold, it's Brian Viglione, 2nd half of the Dresden Dolls playing guitar and a snare drum. Highlights included covers of Rainbow Connection, Science Fiction Double Feature, Pink Floyd's Mother, Favourite Things... actually there were no highlights because the whole thing was brilliant.  I figure there were less than 200 people present in the crowd, which made for a very intimate show.  They were joking around, talking to the audience, taking requests, and messing around-- imagine having a private performance of the Dresden Dolls in your living room. I mean, who really listens to the random yellings of fans? The Dresden Dolls, that's who. Afterwards, they came to the lobby to chat with fans, take photos, and sign stuff.  I doubt there were too many people who didn't come away from the experience thinking that they quite possibly are the greatest band in the world.  Damn, what a show.

I figure with the way Amanda and Ben have bonded since last August (i.e. random call-up -> guests on tour in Australia -> now the solo album) plus the Dresden Dolls general proclivity towards unique art rock experiences (i.e. the F*ck the Back Row shows, writing/performing in a Dresden Dolls play last year), they'd be gung-ho about a  Ben Folds fan experience as special guests.  I've never seen a band or artist so open and communicative with their fans.  Yes, Amanda will read your e-mails, every comment on her blog, their fan forums and actually respond sincerely.

Offline melissa

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
amazing!  thanks for that.

i really hope the Dolls appear on the BFE.  that would make me happier than anything.

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »
i better get listening then huh...
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline Allison

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »
Happier than anything? Really now?

I can only come up with a few other names, though, that would make me just as happy to be included on this vacation.

Offline melissa

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2007, 07:19:44 PM »
well, i sent her an e-mail.  asked her on the behalf of all Folds fan to join him on the "Ben Folds Experience cruise/tour/what the hell it's going to be."   :)  i'll let you know when she replies.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2007, 01:51:20 AM »
I can think of loads of people Ben could invite. Everyone he's ever collaberated with for a start. A lot of them might be too "big" to do it, but you never know.

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2007, 04:15:56 AM »
COUNTING CROWS

and alex the songs wont work :'(
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline Allison

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »
Well Ben's the headliner, no matter what, so, the ones that are "bigger" than Ben probably aren't going to tag along. And it also depends on what their album releases are like, and all that. Depending on their touring because of that. Like, I can imagine that Rufus'd still be supporting Release the Stars in February.

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2007, 01:01:35 PM »
i'm really dying to hear the stuff that ben produces... maybe amanda will inspire ben to write some new good stuff... also, she'll probably be on his next album, dont' yout hink?
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.