Chapel Hill, NC

• 21 Replies

Offline sham.on

Chapel Hill, NC
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »
WHAT a way to lose my Folds virginity. "How," you ask? From the sixth row(and thank you again and again Taylor and Allison), that's how.

The only words I've been able to find to describe it are "surreal" and "magical", which sums it up pretty damn well. Eef was an awesome opener, although I wish he had gotten a chance to play more. I think he only played five songs. But he was charming and talented and completely won me over(I bought Clem Snide's live album right after the show).

Anyway, Ben and the lads were mind-blowingly amazing. I was quite pleased with the set list, especially The Last Polka.. I wish that I had thought to record it, but I was WAY too 'in the zone' to think to do that, hahaha. That's understandable, right? Underground was particularly lovely to hear too. As far as improvs went, he did the usual 'calling-Jared-Jose Hernandez' thing, "the brown note", Rock This Bitch(In Chapel Hill), and a synth jam.

Let's see, a few odd things.. he f*cked up the beginning of Jesusland, stopped, and proceeded to tell us to pretend like we had just recognized it when he started playing again.. of course, a guy a few seats down from me yelled out "JESUSLAAAAAAND!" before he started playing again. So, Ben being Ben, said something like, "Why, yes sir, I'll play that for you!" and then started back up. Though one of my favourite moments was when he was making random comments during Bitches(which I managed to record!) while the crowd sang.

Sam was effing amazing, as was Jared. I was pleased to get a few shots of Sam 'in motion', but was almost too far away to get many descent ones of Jared.

I'm sure that there is something important and/or entertaining that I've failed to mention/remember. It was just SO much to take in at once.. everything a swirl of sounds and lights and amazing-ness.

Right. The videos turned out a bit better than the pictures(for some weird reason), and, luckily, I managed to grab six good videos. Sorry if some of the pictures are a bit odd-coloured or else cropped to shit; I did my best to clean them up.

Photos: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/TonyBoney/Ben%20Folds/Memorial%20Hall%203-28-07/
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Dunloprimrose

Oh, one more random story; I nearly got an autograph.. not that I almost got to meet Ben, but-- well, let me explain. After the show, as everyone was piling out of the auditorium, a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked if she could buy one of my markers(I have a few mini Sharpies clipped to my bag). So I obliged and traded one for a dollar. I asked her if she knew where to wait for autographs, but she said that she had a backstage pass(.. HOW she got it, I didn't ask). So I nodded, smiled, told her to enjoy, and headed off to buy a t-shirt/CD. After buying said items, I meet back up with my mum who had just returned from the restroom and she said that she had asked 'the lady you sold the marker to' to get me an autograph. Cue me choking on a mouthful of water. So we waited around for a bit.. skipping the boring bits and getting to the point; we didn't see her again, so no autograph for me. Not that I think she didn't get it, just that there may have been another way out of the building. Ahh, well. It was a nice thought.

All in all? I'm an even bigger fan now(.. which is almost scary, haha) and canNOT wait to see him live again.

--Carly.
"god bless both the internets"

last.fm  /  LJ

Offline happybecca

Re: Chapel Hill, NC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »
CARLY!!!!!!!! that was my boyfriend nick who yelled jesusland and thank you for witnessing that because we didnt know if we were dreaming!!! haha, youre the best.

respond to our PMs and also...you think anyone had that on film??
holla

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »
haha, great review, Carly. Glad all you had a good time.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline sham.on

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »
.. wait.. O_O You're the chick that was standing next to me?

Hrm, hopefully so! Just keep an eye out on YouTube and the tour page.. I wish I had caught it, but I was paranoid that my camera battery was going to die at any minute. Way to not be prepard, self.

last.fm  /  LJ

Offline happybecca

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »
no thats cool... no worries, we didnt get it either for the same reason..... way to be prepared two selfs.  :P :P

you were great..... we will def. see you again. We now both have memberships so next time you need help with tickets (although, you should probably just be a member already.. ;), you know you wanna) give us a shout. you are the first ben folds fan that knows more about him and his stuff than we do.... we saw ya singin, didnt miss a beat..... and we seriously know our shit.... we love him. you are cool with us for sure \m/
holla

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »
Sweet. Welcome to the boards. We're a FoldsFamily here. Awww...

Okay, enough with that nonsense. (Besides really, we're a swell welcoming bunch!) I'm glad you had a great show, and I did read elsewhere, on the lj comm, that people did meet him after the show, but maybe they got special priveldges or something. All this is making me go... Ooo. Monday. Yyyyyaaaayyy! There's also a set list on the lj comm..... floating somewhere. Unless I read it on last.fm. Can't remember. Anyway. It's out there, somewhere.

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
Awesome man. I still haven't been graced with a ben concert yet...someday

Offline sham.on

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
Argh, batteries. And your poor camera's screen! Ouch. Do you know how your pics turned out yet?

Well, thank you! So were you two. =) And, yeah, I'm joining the fanclub asap, but thanks for the offer..

We should try to meet up next TN/NC date! I don't know any Folds Fans around here, and it'd be awesome to have someone to go to gigs with other than my mum.. she IS awesome(I don't mean to brag, but, seriously. How many people's parents do you think listen to Ben Folds?), but she's still a mum, haha.

Ahh, don't make me blush.. I just obsess about music too much, is all!  :P

One more thing.. I'm curious; how'd you come across the'burbs?

last.fm  /  LJ

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
One more thing.. I'm curious; how'd you come across the'burbs?

I think I came across it at the .com message boards...someone mentioned the suburbs.
either that or it was just from googling ben folds
either way, happy I found it. it's a wealth of ben folds knowledge. people know what they're talkin bout.

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:31:27 PM »
Thanks for all your stuff, Carly!  You had a great view of his hands (watching Rock this Bitch)!
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline sham.on

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »
Wow, replying can get confusing.

celtic745; Your Folds day will come.. and, DAMN, will you love it.

Allison; True. We're a FriendlyFunnyFunctioningFoldsFamily(.. yeah, I'll stop now).
Thanks! Yeah, it sounds like you either had to have a pass or loads of luck(must have used up my little bit of luck in getting the tickets).. ah, well. I'll do my best to catch him next time.
Oooh, that's right. I hope it's a f*cking amazing show! How many shows will this make that you've seen? Nine or so, yeah? Brilliant.

SinginShoe: No problem! I'll do anything I can to spread the Folds Love. And, yes. Yes, I did. I was quite pleased about that. The thing is, since I was spoiled as far as seats go for my first gig, now I'm sure I'll get all whiny if I don't get such good seats next time around, haha.

last.fm  /  LJ

Offline Allison

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »
Ha. Try 12. Yyyyess... WINNER = ME.

I'm so stoked. I wasn't until today either. I gave up Ben for lent (did I tell y'all that?) so I haven't heard Ben's voice, besides my ringtone, since mid-February.

Yyyyeaah.

Offline sham.on

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 10:36:42 PM »
.. O_O oh, wow. Yeah, you're just all kinds of awesome.  \m/

Hrm, I don't remember you posting it on here, but I did read it on your LJ.. I'm impressed, too. I don't know if I would have enough will power to give up Ben for so long!

last.fm  /  LJ

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:54:21 AM »
Oh, one more random story; I nearly got an autograph.. not that I almost got to meet Ben, but-- well, let me explain. After the show, as everyone was piling out of the auditorium, a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked if she could buy one of my markers(I have a few mini Sharpies clipped to my bag). So I obliged and traded one for a dollar. I asked her if she knew where to wait for autographs, but she said that she had a backstage pass(.. HOW she got it, I didn't ask). So I nodded, smiled, told her to enjoy, and headed off to buy a t-shirt/CD. After buying said items, I meet back up with my mum who had just returned from the restroom and she said that she had asked 'the lady you sold the marker to' to get me an autograph. Cue me choking on a mouthful of water. So we waited around for a bit.. skipping the boring bits and getting to the point; we didn't see her again, so no autograph for me. Not that I think she didn't get it, just that there may have been another way out of the building. Ahh, well. It was a nice thought.

Did she have blonde hair? Because my friend Beth had a backstage pass, but I dunno why she'd asked for a marker (unless it was because your mum had asked beforehand, etc., etc.). Beth is the (now ex-)wife of Ken Mosher (Squirrel Nut Zippers, studio recording of "Army") and she knows Ben from back in the day. Also backstage was Robert Sledge.

Offline Allison

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 10:13:04 AM »
Sledge was at a Folds solo show?

Doesn't that seem weird? I mean. Uh, doesn't it? I think it'd be akwardlike.