Gerrrrrwhat???

• 13 Replies

DrAlexHaleIII

Gerrrrrwhat???
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:54:36 AM »
I was searching on Amazon for Thievery Corporation as they collaberated on a track with my favourite band, The Flaming Lips, when I stumbled upon this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EQ46E6/qid=1146588753/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-8178180-0171649

Check out track 9.

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
Re: Gerrrrrwhat???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »
Sounds great - who are fear of pop?

Are they on myspace alex? - is this tone of those bands that -"were not trying to hard" check us out!!!

No seriously i love that track and i think not just shatner's lyrics (Which form my perspective are 100 percent true in my experience)but Bens arraingement of that song are great.- funny the damnest places you can find these things - i betcha no one credits foldsie for being on theivery corp album... Good find!

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 12:58:30 PM »
Shit man, I thought you were being serious for a second...

Do you reckon this is a remix or something, or what?

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »
I guess the only way to find out is to kill the lead singer, and take the others in for questioning.

And since when is your favorite band The Flaming Lips and NOT BEN FOLDS FIVE!?!????

Just joking. But seriously.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:50:51 AM »
Since last Monday when I saw The Flaming Lips live which was the single greatest experience of my life. As I'm never likely to see Ben Folds Five live, they have no way of catching up to The Lips as I can never see them live, so I might as well face the facts; BFF totally rocked, but it's not very likely they'll ever release anything again (and if they do, it's not likely it'll be "new") and I'll never see them live, so, in a way, them being my favourite band is a pointless endeavour for me, with no rewards and nothing to look forwards to. I still love 'em, of course, but the facts had to be faced at some point or another.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 02:33:07 AM »
As a Lips and BF fan, I was wondering how many others out there in the 'Burbs had a similar tastes. It's been a good six months for me, seeing both Ben and FL live in London. Definitely two of the best live acts ever, though for different reasons. I've managed to convert friends to both of them just by taking them to see them live. Hmm, it'd be my fantasy double bill to have them tour together.
Everywhere I go, damn, there I am.

Offline johnny_ultimate

• Smile, like you've got nothing to prove :)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 06:09:26 AM »
Im a pretty big Flaming Lips fan and a huge Ben fan. Unfortunately, the Flaming Lips are playing with Bob Dylan around 2 hours away from here, and when Bobbie comes here you have a very very very slim chance of getting tickets. So I will be missing the Flaming Lips this year.  :'( Someday, maybe, Someday.....
Back and forth... forever ))<>((

Offline elements_of_rock

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:58:21 AM »
I was searching on Amazon for Thievery Corporation as they collaberated on a track with my favourite band, The Flaming Lips, when I stumbled upon this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EQ46E6/qid=1146588753/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-8178180-0171649

Check out track 9.

Hi everyone, I going to try and provide some (accurate?) insight into this "finding"...

First of all, I'm also a huge fan of Thievery Corporation, so Officer Alex, that track you're looking for is "Marching The Hate Machines Into The Sun" from the album The Cosmic Game.  First track on the album, and fantastic.  I love it!

I'm over in Europe right now, so decided to wait to order the new TC album Versions when I get back to Canada in about a month.  So I hadn't really paid much attention to the track listing since the album isn't really a priority for me right now.  I was quite surprised to see "In Love - Fear of Pop" as track 9.

Two years ago, after looking hard, I found some rare vinyl on eBay.  When Ben released Fear Of Pop, he commissioned a few remixes.  Thievery Corporation was one of the bands.  It was released as a single on vinyl.  So here's my guess - track nine on Versions is the same track I have on vinyl.  Presumably, when they wrote the credits for the CD, they are calling Ben & William "Fear of Pop"...  I don't have time to check right now, but are they not credited as that on the Conan performance as well?

In Love has been remixed by Thievery Corporation, Chukwa, and Charlie Dark.  These (also instrumentals) are the tracks I have collected on vinyl.  I am not certain, but believe they were once available on Kyle's BFF Clubhouse (for those of you have been following BF/BFF closely, long enough to remember it when it existed...) I just never got around to downloading it.

I'm not too keen on the Chukwa and Charlie Dark mixes, but the TC track is cool.

-Dale

Offline ads

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »
Check you PM Alex!! and yours elements - is it the same track???

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 08:21:48 AM »
Could well be... could well be...

Thanks for that ;)

Offline elements_of_rock

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Check you PM Alex!! and yours elements - is it the same track???

Hey ads, nothing new in the PM, can you try sending again?

Thanks,
-Dale

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 09:30:49 AM »
Did you check your e-mail? That's where mine was...

Offline ads

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »
Sent to your hotmail again elements, gotta say i still love the poniacy of the original still - hardly any of the shat in it to , it has less meaning unfortunatley in this version - could imagine it playing in a shop though - or a wine bar.

Offline elements_of_rock

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
I guess that clears things up.  It's the same track which has been under discussion.  Ads, I share your thoughts on less meaning in this version.  In most cases, the original can't be beat, and hey, we're dealing with Folds & Shatner here, that's talent in a class of its own.

Thanks Adam & Alex.  Rock on.

-Dale