Ben's ear

• 10 Replies

Offline el steve bo

Ben's ear
« on: April 28, 2006, 08:50:30 PM »
I was just wondering, does anyone know whether or not ben has perfect or relative pitch? I think he would have to, to be able to pick up so many instruments so fast, but I wasn't positive. someone maybe might have posted on this before, but I couldn't find it.
I'm not suffering of insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
Re: Ben's ear
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:29:24 AM »
Explain your self man!!!

I dont exactly know what you mean as i am not familiar with those terms?

Offline dranscht

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »
I don't think perfect pitch is a necessity to pick up multiple instruments; musicality is. If you're a good musician, you can parlay that using whatever medium you need to, but if you're not, having good pitch isn't going to help.

Perfect pitch, ads, is being able to hear a note without any reference point (such as a piano or tuner) and say, "oh, that's an..." Ab, for example.

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 09:39:27 AM »
I think Ben has relatively good pitch, if not perfect. For all the songs he improvises, he's got to have a decent sense of it.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »
In terms of improvising, he's been playing the piano for however long he has, so he knows the relationship between notes really, really well, so that's my guess as to hwo he does improvising

I really don't think he has perfect pitch though. If you listen to some of his live stuff, he doesnt always stay in tune sometimes.

I just think in general, that he is an amazing musician, with an obviously very musically inclined mind, and that helps him with everything he does.

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:16:20 PM »
In terms of improvising, he's been playing the piano for however long he has, so he knows the relationship between notes really, really well, so that's my guess as to hwo he does improvising

I really don't think he has perfect pitch though. If you listen to some of his live stuff, he doesnt always stay in tune sometimes.

I just think in general, that he is an amazing musician, with an obviously very musically inclined mind, and that helps him with everything he does.

I meant the singing. The way he improvises some of his vocal lines are great. (See: Pirate Joke Song). And having perfect pitch has nothing to do with going off key... if your voice is strained, you may not be able to hit a perfect high A. It's all in the ear.

Offline elements_of_rock

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 11:35:01 PM »
I think it has been mentioned by Ben before, but I don't remember for certain, that he did say he doesn't have perfect pitch.  Dranscht is correct on how perfect pitch doesn't have anything to do with being able to pick up so multiple instruments; musicality is.  I can back that up from personal experience.  I don't have perfect pitch.

Oh, and if you listen to the Ben Folds Live recording of Best Imitation, before he starts to play he hits a G octave with the left hand to get the first tone for the voice, before the piano starts in with C.

-Dale

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 03:13:48 AM »
Thanks dranscht  - i now know what it meas - you learn somethin everyday - as long as your not afraid to ask i  say! ;D

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »
really I think the multiple instrument deal is because of the piano.  It's a hell of a lot easier to pick up other instruments once you're fairly decent at the piano. 

Offline Liv

• Show me the mosh pit
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 11:08:19 PM »
I don't think perfect pitch is a necessity to pick up multiple instruments; musicality is. If you're a good musician, you can parlay that using whatever medium you need to, but if you're not, having good pitch isn't going to help.

I think Ben has relatively good pitch, if not perfect. For all the songs he improvises, he's got to have a decent sense of it.

And having perfect pitch has nothing to do with going off key... if your voice is strained, you may not be able to hit a perfect high A. It's all in the ear.

Mmmhmm, AMEN to all that. You've left me with nothing else to say =P

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 12:41:35 PM »
well, i can understand not hittin a high A, not many people, especially males (except for falsetto, which ben doesnt use too much). But even with a strained voice, perfect pitche lets you replicate the note with ease. You can be standing there, someone will say, "Sing a D flat" and you do it. What im saying is, that if he had perfect pitch, he would know what note to sing before he gets there, and wouldnt even need the piano for it. The piano would just be an aid, and with the possibility of having perfect pitch and a piano, and still being out of tune sometimes, i seriously doubt he has perfect pitch, buit just has a really, really good ear, and has a lot of musicality in general