All You Can Eat
Prison Food
Trusted
Jesusland
Still Fighting It
You to Thank
Landed
Bitches Ain't Shit
------------------------- (Ben Goes Solo)
Brick
Boxing
The Last Polka
Army
------------------------ (Band Return)
The Ascent Of Stan
Where's Summer B?
Rockin' The Suburbs
Philosophy
Not The Same

-------  (ENCORE)

Narcolepsy
One Angry Dwarf

Re: London 13th December - set list.. etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »
Just got back myself. Another great show similar in many ways to the concerts he did earlier this year in the UK although I don't think he took any requests tonight.

I was very happy that Ben played Narcolepsy for the first encore. Narcolepsy was one of the first Ben Folds songs that I really got to know. When I first heard Narcolepsy I hated it but after a while it became a fave. As Deano said in the Birmingham thread earlier, I find "Ben's shows more like collectable trading cards - after you've been to a few gigs you know you'll get a lot of songs you've already heard before, but you also get one or two rarities that make it even cooler...." Well I've never heard Narcolepsy live before and I've seen Ben 6 times now. Hearing Narcolepsy live tonight was great. I wonder what the majority of the audience thought because they did seem a bit quieter at the end of Narcolepsy.

That leaves only Hiro's Song to complete my "trading card" set. I've never heard that live and would love to hear it one day.

Hope everyone else enjoyed the concert as much as I did...

Offline gettinoldtoofast

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:42:07 PM »
he hasnt been changing the set up that much when he has the band.  the only song on that list he didnt play at the philly show i was at is boxing.

glad ya had a good time and glad that lindsay is feelin better.
Sometimes im so full of shit that it should be a crime...

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 11:49:30 PM »
"Boxing" and "Where's Summer B?" are both songs I wanted him to play in Birmingham... Ah well - any Ben song live is a treat...

Offline Damian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:03:59 AM »
That leaves only Hiro's Song to complete my "trading card" set. I've never heard that live and would love to hear it one day.

I've had that one!  V Festival, whatever year he played that...

Still never heard "Where's Summer B?" live though.  Seems to happen at virtually every gig I don't attend!  Glad the London show was good...

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:51:53 AM »
morning all

yeah, the setlist looks similar from the US fall shows, but 2 completly different set list in two nights in the uk (for obvious reasons)

How did lindsay look?? 

i wasnt dissapointed i didnt see the band as i have seen them twice this year together , so a solo set was a great change.

glad you all had fun

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 01:09:17 AM »
<cut>Still never heard "Where's Summer B?" live though.  Seems to happen at virtually every gig I don't attend!  Glad the London show was good...

FWIW - heard "Where's Summer B?" live three times now - twice in London and earlier this year in Manchester. Kalamazoo  :o was the rare highlight from that particular show.

I'm sure you will eventually hear "Where's Summer B?" if you go to a few more shows although I very much doubt I will ever hear Hiro's Song now unless I go to see Ben in Japan. Now that's an idea...  :)

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:13:27 AM »
You could try requesting it... ;)

Are you sure that's the only song you've never heard live, or is it just the only album track? I mean, I know that sometimes he plays rare songs, but he does have a hell of a lot of often un-mentioned B-sides or rarities ("Clueless", "Bizarre Christmas incident" and "Make me mommy" are just three random examples). If you got every last one of his songs into 6 shows, you must've been pretty lucky!

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:29:56 AM »
ive heard bizzare christmas inicdent live, at a ben solo , allbeit on a bootleg. i do beleive that it was his first solo he did that i think at the end of 2001 in boston i think it was. the bootleg is still flying around etree i thinks

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 01:42:51 AM »
You could try requesting it... ;)

Are you sure that's the only song you've never heard live, or is it just the only album track? I mean, I know that sometimes he plays rare songs, but he does have a hell of a lot of often un-mentioned B-sides or rarities ("Clueless", "Bizarre Christmas incident" and "Make me mommy" are just three random examples). If you got every last one of his songs into 6 shows, you must've been pretty lucky!

Tried requesting Hiro but had no luck so far and I'm not sure Ben is taking requests anymore. I'm sure there are many rare songs I've not heard live but I have heard all the ones I really want to hear with the exception of Hiro. Of the three you mention, I've heard Bizarre Christmas Incident but not the other two.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 01:50:21 AM »
ive heard bizzare christmas inicdent live, at a ben solo , allbeit on a bootleg. i do beleive that it was his first solo he did that i think at the end of 2001 in boston i think it was. the bootleg is still flying around etree i thinks

Yep - you're almost right and I was there  :)

It was back in December 2001 at the Bowery Ballroom in New York. It was the first time Ben played solo and probably the best show I've ever seen. Ben started off quite nervously without his usual backing. After a few songs he appeared to relax and the crowd really got into it and everyone had a great night. The Bowery Ballroom bootleg is really good quality and well worth downloading if it's still around.

Offline paddy247

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 02:01:01 AM »
 :-\ Bleurrghh... show so good, me so sleepy..! Had to get up uber-early to come into uni, but now I'm here I can reminisce about last night. Fantastic gig, can't help feeling though that maybe Ben and Jared felt a bit harassed by the bum-rush of fans while he was getting into the car last night. Hope the guys weren't too bothered!

Jared mentioned Lindsay went home early for sleep, but last night he looked on top form - not holding back in the slightest. Really have to hand it to him - that's pure dedication. Got a few comments on our dancing from Jared too - didn't seem to mind us distracting him at the front.

The support was great  - one of the guys (Felix) was sitting out front when I arrived, very friendly and kind. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Set list was great - so good to hear Where's Summer B? Merlin - I would've loved to hear Kalamazoo. Will be going to the Manchester gig too though, so looking forward to any possible changes to last nights gig.

Must mention that it was nice to see Ben being so observant about the "ionic" columns last night .... won't go any further, because I expect you'll hear that mentioned pretty soon by another member...!

Must get back to the drone! You all must post up any pics / recording from last night!

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 03:10:55 AM »
What an amazing night!
I was there from 3:30! I managed to hear a run through of Jesusland which is when it suddenly hit me that the drums meant Lindsay must be better! About 4:30, the Maccabees guitarist arrived and we talked to him for a bit then I gave him my Naked Baby Photos and Super D covers to get them signed and back came my covers "To Sam, Ben Folds"  :D. I also got a setlist at the end (they changed the set a LOT... they were planning on playing Zak & Sara, Fred Jones, and Cooler Than You, which to my disappointment they didn't. Also, they planned to play Not The Same as the finale, and One Angry Dwarf before the encore!). I, with many others, waited outside the stage door for Ben for about an hour. I met Jamie Cullum and had a photo taken, and about half an hour later, Mr. Folds  ;D. I was the first one to spot him but I didn't get a photo :(. I asked him for a lift, and he said "Yeah I guess, a face lift? A tummy tuck?".

Favourite moments of the night were the entrance of the band with that awesome music playing, Lindsay singing in 'Bitches Ain't Shit' (the British accent does it for me :P), Ben screwing up in Boxing, and finally being part of the Army harmonies!

Offline solemnface

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 04:38:26 AM »
It was an excellent night, loads of people singing and a good set list. I too would love to hear hiros song but he does not seem to be taking requests at the moment.

I went to the Cambridge show earlier in the year and he was taking requests as he played missing the war when it was shouted out.

Treated myself to the DVD and a flaming piano t-shirt, come back soon Ben!

Offline bezley

• Life was simple then...
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 06:25:41 AM »
Absolutely inspired show! Probably one of the best I saw this year of Ben, if not THE best. Great choice of songs, especially Last Polka, Prison Food, Where's Summer B?, Boxing, and NARCOLEPSY!!! I couldn't believe it when they played it as a band. I would never have expected that. Amazing. Yes I agree Ben's shows are like collectors cards. Actually in another thread I recently posted the similarities between a Ben show, and a Kinder Surprise.
I also got a DVD and flaming t-shirt. I seemed to be the only person that noticed it's not just flames...It actually reads BEN FOLDS LIVE if you look carefully hidden amongst the flames. Maybe because I was on such a high, and starting seeing things ;)
I started staying behind, but couldn't miss my train. I've met Ben twice before though, but it was mainly for my friends. However WAS JAMIE CULLUM THERE? I would loved to have met him!