How to write an nwc-composition

• 9 Replies

Offline Martino

• you get smaller while the world gets big
How to write an nwc-composition
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:13:29 AM »
Dear fellow burbians

there are so many very talented transcribers amongst us. So hopefully, one of you can explain to me how you write an nwc file. Do you just hook the piano and the pc up with a midi cable, or do you write the song "manual"?
I'd love to "write" some music in the noteworthy composer but i simply don't know how...

Offline 8bit

• Hi, I'm 8bit and i'm a happy camper today.
Re: How to write an nwc-composition
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:13:48 PM »
I write it in all with my computer keyboard, because i don't have a god enough sound card to connect my piano keyboard to my computer >_<

Offline oneorzero

• "Won't you let me explode?"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
I write it in all with my computer keyboard, because i don't have a god enough sound card to connect my piano keyboard to my computer >_<
You know there are MIDI to USB converter cables.  I think that's what you mean by that.  Like you don't have a MIDI hookup on your soundcard.  I'm sure you have USB though...I would sure hope so at least.  I just did a quick froogle search here:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=MIDI+to+USB+cable&btnG=Search+Froogle

go check it out. 

===

As for the original question for NWC composition - I was hoping this was going to be a little tutorial on how to do it, haah!  Maybe you should put a question mark in your title so it's not sooooo misleading, hah!  I'm not real experienced with it but I think what most people do is they first use their MIDI keyboards (by that I mean digital pianos) hooked up to their computers (with USB or MIDI) and just play through the song.  It notates it all in the program and then the go through and "manual" as you called it.  They just touch up any little mistakes and such.  I could be wrong, but I think I've read that before.
"In a karaoke supernova..."

Offline Jake

• Melbourne's our bitch
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 12:07:35 AM »
My very first transcriptions (ben kweller) I did entirely by manual entering in notes. But now I use my midi-usb cable to play all the notes in. Here's a step-by-step guide to using NoteWorthy Composer (if you have a midi cable).

NoteWorthy Composer for dummies:

• Install NoteWorthy Composer
  • Install midi cable driver
  • Plug in midi cable
  • Open NoteWorthy Composer
  • Press Ctrl+N to create a new score
  • Select the Piano template under the 'General' tab (or whatever type of score you want to create)
  • Enter file info if desired (this can be changed later)
  • Open Tools > Options...
  • Click the 'Record' tab and select the input device (should be the driver you installed). Click OK
  • Make sure this button is active
  • Select the staff you wish to insert notes (staff highlighted blue)
  • place the cursor after the clef and press "K". Then select the appropriate key signature and click OK. Repeat for other staff
  • place the cursor after the key signature and press "G". Then input the appropriate time signature and click OK. Repeat for other staff
  • When keys are pressed on the keyboard, they will be inserted in the staff with their length as selected
  • Once all notes have been entered, make any required changes manually.
  • Select Tools > Audit Bar Lines (inserts bar lines)
  • Select Tools > Automatic Beam (beams quavers etc.)
  • To listen to what's been entered, click F5
  • Select File > Save As... (if you wish to save as .nwc or .mid files)
  • To add extra staves, press Ctrl+A
  • To change staves instrument sound, select staff and press F2. Select the 'Instrument' tab, and select the instrument from the list and click OK
  • To change a staff to percussion, select staff and press F2. Select the 'Midi' tab and change the channel to 10. Open file DRUMREF.NWC if unfamiliar with percussion midi relations

That's the best I can come up with at the moment. I might alter it later.
Jake. The famous Australian stunt musician.
Melbourne's our bitch.mp3

Offline Martino

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »
thanks a lot, with a midi-usb cable you mean a cable with a midi plug on the one end and a usb plug on the other one?

Offline oneangryman

• I'm a llama....I mean, i am a rockstar!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:13 PM »
thanks a lot, with a midi-usb cable you mean a cable with a midi plug on the one end and a usb plug on the other one?

Despite what “Midi to USB” sounds like it’s actually a printer connector on one end, with a cell phone antenna connected to the other. Since your too lazy to click on the link above ****http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=MIDI+to+USB+cable&btnG=Search+Froogle*** I am sure you wont want to actually hookup the cable up, let alone transcribe a song. ;D

Anyway, thanks Jake for taking the time with the step by step process. In fact I have a cable ordered and cant wait to contribute to this site. I know I emailed you before, but thanks for all the work *transcription* you do!!!

ROCK OUT WITH YOUR……….OUT \m/

Offline Martino

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:41:53 AM »

Despite what “Midi to USB” sounds like it’s actually a printer connector on one end, with a cell phone antenna connected to the other. Since your too lazy to click on the link above ****http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=MIDI+to+USB+cable&btnG=Search+Froogle*** I am sure you wont want to actually hookup the cable up, let alone transcribe a song. ;D

you're a funny man...very funny

Offline oneangryman

• I'm a llama....I mean, i am a rockstar!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »
 :)  lol, just having a little fun.

I saw your "lonley x-mass eve" transcription.... keep it up!

Offline Martino

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:54:46 AM »
sorry there, didn't mean to snap, had a shit day so i was pissed off at everything and everyone.

\m/

Offline 8bit

• Hi, I'm 8bit and i'm a happy camper today.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 03:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the MIDI-USB info, i had NO idea they existed. I think i'l look into getting one. Manual NWC takes forever to do anything, even if you use it a lot.