Ol就ew Orleans

• 6 Replies

Offline NickD

Ol就ew Orleans
« on: September 02, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »
Thought I should at least stick up some sort of thing regarding Katrina. I know these boards remain somewhat free from politics and such, though by no means is it not topical, so I'm surprised there isn't already a topic on this. Basically, and universally I'd imagine, thoughts are with those who have to suffer from continuing fear and those who, well, didn't make it.

Regarding the lawless streets, it's appalling. It's a tough job for the police and I wouldn't be too quick to condemn them on their policies (such as shoot-to-kill). Relief effort has been slow, I hear, and yet I fail to understand why. I also can't understand why the rescue services wouldn't react as quickly as they could. But from what I hear, people are angry, as you might expect. Seems to be lack of communication in any case...clearly my thoughts are confused in this respect. The news are reporting this just like they always do. Like spakkers.

Hope no one hear is effected by this. Though I doubt they'd have much chance to relate all this if they were.

Offline Drag

• I'm a llama!
Re: Ol就ew Orleans
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »
I really wish I lived closer or I would go down there and see what I could do.. These people will really need our help in the next few months.  Can you imagine having to find places for thousands of people?  I would guess theyre going to have to start building some evacuee tent cities.  Something like this really shows how easily our "right" culture degrades into lawlessness and human nature takes over.  All of this is so incredible...

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 07:42:36 PM »
yeah, i hope no one on the boards has been effected, but i do send my best to everyone down there in Louisiana. its a nice thing that they added a "donate" button on the official site.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 08:43:18 AM »
As the boards's gulf coast/south louisiana ex-patriot, thought I'd better check in.

Yes, it truly is tragic. Since Sunday all I have done other than work is watch 24/7 coverage and think about how awful this is. Well, that and pour through message boards and satellite photos to get any tiny speck of news about his grandparents' area or his families' homes. All of my family members from south Louisiana are accounted for, and from what I understand their homes are habitable. My husband's family from New Orleans (and one aunt/uncle from Miss) will face something entirely different in the coming months. We are still waiting to hear from the uncle and aunt. Their area is without power and phones, though we have not heard any reports from their area and don't think the damage extends too badly other than trees, power lines, etc.

His maternal grandparents did not evacuate New Olreans, and after days of worrying, we learned last night that they are safe in San Antonio. They were air lifted off their porch on Thursday and flown there. I think they were in a shelter Thursday night, but now they are in a hotel. We knew they made in through the hurricane, but had not heard anything since the flooding began. I can't describe how good it felt to hear the news last night that they were safe. His mom kept assuring us they were fine, that they had a generator, plenty food, water, and medication, but as time went on I knew it was horribly dangerous for these elderly people with health issues to be in that environment. Then we saw satellite photos of their neighborhood submurged, and we were going nuts!

Right now we are estatic knowing they are safe, but my heart bleeds for everyone affected by this disaster. The dead, the displaced, those who lost everything all along the gulf coast. And the city of New Orleans--I don't even know where to begin.

From the images we've found, the area where his parents and one uncle lives looks unaffected. (Unaffected by wind and water but certainly still affected by the collapse of the city surrounding it.) Both grandparents neighborhoods look completely unihabitable. For others we are not sure.

Two couples, my parents good friends from college, survived the hurricane only to see water rushing quickly into their homes. Somehow they got out and made it to Baton Rouge, their only plans now to stay with my parents until... until what we do not know. But these are people with friends and family who can put them up, people who have the means to survive and rebuild, to last for a while without jobs. What about all those other people?

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »
my thoughts are also with the victims- it is a terrible disaster that we all need to acknowlegde- i just wish bush would have done more sooner, however u guys dont want to hear what i really think about him...

my thoughts are with the victims as well as their faimilies.
You can oppose yourself and edit yourself all you want, but there's still a little freak inside you that wants to talk.

- Ben Folds

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »
JBJ
Glad to read your update here. You know I've been thinking about you and your family throughout all of this.

~Fan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
Being in the UK, when I first heard about hurricane Katrina and the flooding my initial, nonchalant thought was, "oh, it's another hurricane - looks pretty bad." Wasn't until towards the end of last week I realised, after watching the news, how absolutely horrific and devastating the situation is.

George Bush's reaction seems to have been pretty similar to mine!