The Chemicals are Wearing Off (or, hey there)

• 18 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
The Chemicals are Wearing Off (or, hey there)
« on: August 21, 2005, 12:03:46 PM »
Hey everyone!

I see some old, familiar faces around here.  Warm and fuzzy feelings all around.  There are also lots of new folks, which is good.  Life and message boards go on, I guess.

I just thought since I dropped in from outer space I should acknowledge my random entry and mysterious departure.  Hi!!  I can't say why exactly I stopped coming to the boards... shit got busy I guess.  I still love this place and I still love Ben, I just can't go thinking about it 24 hours a day anymore, which I suppose is a good thing. "Not that there is anything wrong with that!" 

So, let's see... what has happened? Well, the biggest thing I guess is that I am a married woman now.  Bet you never thought that would happen.  PFF and I tied the knot in a beautiful wedding last April after a mere 10 years of courtship.  Marriage is great.  Our daily lives have not changed, but said 10 year courtship pretty much prepared us for growing old together.  And my beautiful shiny ring acts like a disco ball when the light is right.  We are still in LA, and he is finding a lot more steady work these days. 

I wish I had 2 and a half years of good gossip, but basically I'm just the same.  Older, but I don't look it yet.  Mouths drop when I mention my age, and I'm just now at the point where I'm not insulted at how old everyone thought I was.  Ben still rocks my word, but I am less consumed with it.  I forget to preorder stuff, I don't chase bootlegs, I still get all the article alerts, but only guiltily file them away and force the thoughts about my fallen website to the back of my mind.  That said, I still HAVE to go to both shows every time Ben comes to LA.  I can't skip one.  Two shows are better than one!

Anyway, hi everybody.  I miss you guys.

JBJ

DrAlexHaleIII

Re: The Chemicals are Wearing Off (or, hey there)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 12:43:20 PM »
Hi there, welcome back.

You don't know me. I'm a newbie. Hehe. I'm also a post whore with a heart of gold ;)

Some know me as Alex, others know me as... um... othrs don't know me. But if they did, they'd know me as Alex. Not Al. And Certainly not Lex. Maybe Ally... No, not Ally.

Anyhow, I'll wrap this up before I get too boring...

Welcome back.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 06:24:02 PM »
guten tag.  I seem to recall you being on the .org "back in the day" as well?  I was a bit of a lurker then. 

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »
welcome back, Jane...i'm assuming thats your name.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Martino

• you get smaller while the world gets big
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:42:23 PM »
I think it's great to be married and still ckeck the good old boards of the burbs.
I hope that when i'm married i'll still be as much fascinated with ben's music than i'm now, and if i'm still ckecking the boards by then, i'll change my nickname and reply to this very thread...(if it's still in existance)

welcome back!

Offline Bruised

• sHAm On!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 02:32:48 AM »
welcome back, Jane...i'm assuming thats your name.

where'd you get the idea that her name was jane?!

welcome back

tAnK
"Life barrels on like a runaway train where the passengers change, they don't change anything, you get off someone else can get on" -ben

Offline Emily

• "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 08:33:44 AM »
so i guess i'm not the only old face swinging back to say hey...

congratulations on your marriage, jbj, that's fantastic news.

most of y'all probably have no idea who i am, but i was the original board mother hen. if you are from back in the day too, well then, hey, 'sup?!

my news isn't perhaps quite so momentous as jbj's, but, um, i'm moving to new york in a week. this being the good old internet it doesn't really mean much in terms of me being/not being on the boards, but meh, i figured i'd let you know anyway :-)

*hugs* all round

em xxx
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Offline the_in_betweens

• often misunderstood.. .
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:48:08 AM »
Hi Emily! Happy Birthday!

Hi JBF (I'm using her new married initials)! And no people, her real name's not Jane. This much I can assure you.

I'm neither getting married nor moving, but it's nice to stop in and see that some old friends chose the same occasion to do so.

Cheers to all,

TIB
"There is no doggie heaven!...or...to put it another way...there is." --Homer

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 12:13:48 PM »
Well, as we're on the subject of 'oldies' with news - I've got a new job! About effink time, I can assure you.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:47:22 AM »
a job? but surely you just sit in your magical tower.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 09:47:48 AM »
How could I resist posting on a thread started by JBJ? Especially with Em, TIB and Andy contributing?

That's some serious "star" power on this thread.

~Fan, the Suburbs' original married elder statesman

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »
Well, the biggest thing I guess is that I am a married woman now.
BOOOO!  ;)

Wire me money before I reveal her name.
I forgot my password & my old email account is borked, so here I am as a newbie. :)

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:59:24 PM »
It's Laura.  I make no secret of that, though I answer just as easily to Jane or JBJ.

It's so great to hear from all of you, old and new.  (No, Fan, that was not a crack at you. But I guess THAT was.  Just for old time(r)s sake.)  No internet entity could ever make me smile like these red pages.

Emily--I would say moving to New York is HUGE news!  And Andy, congrats on your job!  Tibbers!!!!  It's been too long!  Fan, not as long, but still too long, right?

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 04:00:58 AM »
Wire me money before I reveal her name.

It's Laura.  I make no secret of that, though I answer just as easily to Jane or JBJ.

I really wish I hadn't wired that money now...

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »
It's so great to hear from all of you, old and new.  (No, Fan, that was not a crack at you. But I guess THAT was.  Just for old time(r)s sake.)  No internet entity could ever make me smile like these red pages.
So true. So true.

Fan, not as long, but still too long, right?
Right. Glad you got to see the shows. I waved at you and PFF when my wife and I were in California last month.