What are you listening to?

• 2027 Replies

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1980 on: October 12, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »
monsters of folk
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
« Reply #1981 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
monsters of folk

Yes. I've been loving that cd.
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline Jono11

« Reply #1982 on: October 13, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
I can't get into that CD. I can't stand Conor Oberst.

Listening to Ballad of a Thin Man--best Dylan song ever.

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #1983 on: October 13, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Enrique Bunbury does a really really good cover of that song

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #1984 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
new Built to Spill. so far so good.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline melissa

« Reply #1985 on: October 13, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
flaming lips' new album, embryonic.
i don't quite know what to make of it yet.  needs a few more spins.

Offline Jono11

« Reply #1986 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »
Just caught them on Conan. Don't have the album yet. The song sounded a lot like some of the other stuff. Gotta be in the mood for that stuff to listen to it.

Just heard Jimmy Fallon and The Roots slow-jam the news. That was f*cking great.

Offline melissa

« Reply #1987 on: October 14, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »
Just caught them on Conan. Don't have the album yet. The song sounded a lot like some of the other stuff. Gotta be in the mood for that stuff to listen to it.

Just heard Jimmy Fallon and The Roots slow-jam the news. That was f*cking great.

ah, The Roots... the only good thing about Late Night nowadays.

Offline Jono11

« Reply #1988 on: October 14, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »

ah, The Roots... the only good thing about Late Night nowadays.
You so negative gurl. Jimmy's funny a couple times a night. Especially when he slow-jams the news with the Roots and says "it's time to put down that remote and wrap your hands around the Johnson *very slight pause* file." And the important thing is, he's not ruining SNL sketches anymore.

Offline Seth

« Reply #1989 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

Those couple of tracks they released a few months ago sounded promising for the new album.  Haven't gotten it yet, but definitely on my list.  You're right though... I always have to be in the right mood to listen to the Flaming Lips.
The-artist-formerly-known-as-crimsontide029

http://www.last.fm/user/crimsontide029

Offline Jono11

« Reply #1990 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
I meant to say that it sounds a lot like some of the OLDER stuff, but I typed "other" because I was drunk on wintry mix.

Offline Allison

« Reply #1991 on: October 14, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
I meant to say that it sounds a lot like some of the OLDER stuff, but I typed "other" because I was drunk on wintry mix.

I figured, and I agree of course. Unfortunately for me I was introduced to The Flaming Lips through Yoshimi and easily grew to love Transmissions, and I even like At War With The Mystics, but I can tell that Embryonic is going to take a while. I think Consequence of Sound did a perfect review of what Embryonic is. "Itís a new direction for a band thatís done a pretty good job at that re-invention thing so far. I still canít help but have that feeling, though, that some fans will feel a little left out. So is it worth it? For the experience at least, absolutely." http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/10/13/album-review-the-flaming-lips-embryonic/
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Jono11

« Reply #1992 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:24 PM »

I figured, and I agree of course. Unfortunately for me I was introduced to The Flaming Lips through Yoshimi and easily grew to love Transmissions, and I even like At War With The Mystics, but I can tell that Embryonic is going to take a while. I think Consequence of Sound did a perfect review of what Embryonic is. "Itís a new direction for a band thatís done a pretty good job at that re-invention thing so far. I still canít help but have that feeling, though, that some fans will feel a little left out. So is it worth it? For the experience at least, absolutely." http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/10/13/album-review-the-flaming-lips-embryonic/
From that one song, it's not that much of a reinvention at all. It's just going back to square one, which is fine, I guess.

Can't imagine how you could enjoy At War With the Mystics, though. That album is 100% poop.

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #1993 on: October 14, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »
I've said it before somewhere else but Embryonic is one of the most sonically amazing records out right now. It's so f*cking immense and random, but it works so well. It's a lot to digest, but some of the sounds being created just blow my mind...

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #1994 on: October 14, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
Portishead- The Rip