"On my way" - Kweller

• 14 Replies

DrAlexHaleIII

"On my way" - Kweller
« on: July 22, 2005, 04:35:49 AM »
Okay, so it's not exactly a Folds album, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this... Basically, I bought a new MP3 player a couple of weeks back and as a result, bought f*ckloads of Ben-related CDs from Amazon to fill it up with. One of them was "On my way" by Ben Kweller. I inserted the disk into my computer, but for some reason, the disk will only load in some weird player (not my usual choice of realplayer) that it installed itself and I can't save the tracks and upload them to my MP3 player. Has anybody overcome this problem?

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re: "On my way" - Kweller
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 05:32:29 AM »
I'm assuming it auto-loads when you put the CD in?
Hold shift when you insert it, and that will prevent it from auto-playing. Then open realplayer and you should be all set.

~A (assuming you're on Windows)
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:39:29 PM »
........to be honest...

i miss ben kweller's "sha sha, sha do" days....those were the best.
“You can oppose yourself and edit yourself all you want, but there's still a little freak inside you that wants to talk.”

- Ben Folds

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 04:07:08 AM »
I think it's a protected disk... I've tried playing it on realplayer, but the programme doesn't recognise it... My dad came up with an idea, however, to connect the speakers to the input (microphone) and record the album as MP3's. If that works, I'll be doing the same with a DVD or 2...

Offline mr_steve100

• you're godd*mn piano's so ***king sh*t!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 04:14:41 AM »
Yeah , I think the disc is protected - I bought Athletes second album and it would only play in its own music software player.

But your dad's got the best idea.  Maybe, if you have the correct software, you might be able to change what you record to a setting called "what you hear" (i.e. all the sound that comes out of your speakers) - but this choice depends entirely on what soundcard/software you have.  I've got a Creative SoundBlaster Live and they have that option.  The reason I suggest this idea is that you might get less noise compared to plugging it through the microphone jack.

Ben Folds - Pirate Joke song.  If you've never heard it before, I'm sure you'll wet yourself.  Find it here:
www.secondshot.co.uk/other/BF_pirate_joke_song.mp3

enjoy

Offline pano

• my idea of faith
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 11:04:19 AM »
avoid the mic input of your soundcard - whatever model you've got, it's crap. i'd use your standard hifi cd player and connect it to the line-in of your soundcard - either direct or through your hifi, doesn't matter. you might need an adapter or a special cable but it's worth it, believe me. for recording you can use an editor that came with your sound card/pc. a good freeware alternative would be audacity: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/. record the whole album, start to finish, and cut it into pieces/songs afterwards with cut/paste. it's easily done once you got going, and quality will be much better...

cheers, pano

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:24:06 PM »
life is so much easier with iTunes

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 12:25:50 PM »
........to be honest...

i miss ben kweller's "sha sha, sha do" days....those were the best.

according to kweller himself, his new album is supposed to be more like sha sha

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 12:54:08 PM »
according to kweller himself, his new album is supposed to be more like sha sha

I hope that means it'll save to my PC...

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll get my dad to have a look at this all with me later.

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 03:27:42 PM »
really? i thought it was a lot different....

idk i still miss those days....

but thats ok.
“You can oppose yourself and edit yourself all you want, but there's still a little freak inside you that wants to talk.”

- Ben Folds

Offline smellthesmoke

• ... and in a way I guess I was.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »
Both albums had moments where they shined, really, and where they were dull.  I can't complain about OMW though, because there IS a kick-ass harmonica solo.  Damn... I haven't heard that album in a long time.  Guess that's going in the new CD/MP3CD player in my car next.

Sham On
Being poor was not such a drag in hindsight.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 02:35:25 AM »
You just made that post to boast about your new gadget, didn't you?  ;)

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 04:43:01 AM »
post to boast. thats good. lol

- Ben Folds

Offline smellthesmoke

• ... and in a way I guess I was.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 09:51:43 PM »
not really... more to point out how awesome the harmonica is on 'hear me out' than to boast, but hey... i do like the new gadget!
Being poor was not such a drag in hindsight.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:19:24 AM »
Lol... There is a dog that lives round the corner from my house that has a really retarded bark that sounds exactly like a harmonica. It also barks at my dad and we call it Harmonica dog. Then, one day I was showing my sister the noise it made and I did a perfect impersonation of a harmonica.