SFS, TOO MELLOW?

• 26 Replies
Re: SFS, TOO MELLOW?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 03:55:33 AM »
Yes SFS has a melodramtic vibe over it, it's different than RTS, that album just tottaly rocked.

I feel this album brings more of a tought with it, it makes you stand still and think things trough, I do not feel you can listen to a song one time and be in love with it, you really need to sit down and listen and listen again and again and again. It's an album that takes more time to understand and to love. But I do not think it's to mellow, I am totally in love with this album and with the different feeling that it carries.   :)
Belgium, the land of chocolate, beer, fries, Brussel waffels... and ME

Offline whiz_kid

• wooooo
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 03:08:09 AM »
yeah i second that
there's an old joke
i just made up
how many of me would it take
to screw up your life?

Offline Martino

• you get smaller while the world gets big
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 06:29:43 AM »
wow now this is what i call a declaration of love towards an album
i definitely agree with you

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »
 :)
Belgium, the land of chocolate, beer, fries, Brussel waffels... and ME

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 04:14:05 PM »
idk i really liked sfs-

i read somewhere that the mellowness was in response to fathering his children....haha now that they are getting older, and ben is getting older, it should be interesting to see where his music goes and if it does change a lot. and if it does...can u compare it to the way his kids grow up? and the way he grows up with them? hmm...jus and idea.
“You can oppose yourself and edit yourself all you want, but there's still a little freak inside you that wants to talk.”

- Ben Folds

Offline mr_steve100

• you're godd*mn piano's so ***king sh*t!
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »
SfS isn't 'too' mellow, but I think is mellow - more so than the other albums.  And like others have said, and now I come to think of it, it's really great to hear different styles in each of the albums.

I don't know, does SfS have a sad sound to it?  Certainly not a cheerful album like RTS, and not as down (in my opinion) as TUBORM.  SfS floats slightly higher than mid-way of those two.
I like SfS though - the upbeat sadness of it does indeed make me stop and wonder.

I'll stop talking out my arse now.

steven
Ben Folds - Pirate Joke song.  If you've never heard it before, I'm sure you'll wet yourself.  Find it here:
www.secondshot.co.uk/other/BF_pirate_joke_song.mp3

enjoy

ZipDaze

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 04:52:28 PM »
Evaporated. Missing the War. Cigarette. Selfless, Cold and Composed. Brick. Smoke. Fair. Stevens Last Night In Town. Battle of Who Could Care Less.

what exactly IS mellow?

Is "Trusted" that much more mellow than "Kate"?

Is "Philosophy" mellow? Sometimes. No way man, "Philosophy" rocks. Except for that part where he's all falsetto and talking about the building and shit. Hmm...

SFS, TOO MELLOW? Nah. SFS, GREAT.

Offline foldsie

• all is fair in love...
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 05:39:52 PM »
i totally agree.
“You can oppose yourself and edit yourself all you want, but there's still a little freak inside you that wants to talk.”

- Ben Folds

Offline Kathlemur

• you're livin' in a fantasy world
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 08:26:11 PM »
SFS is a great thinking album.
i can cry with it. and i can smile to it.

but i say, if you want something more like WAEA, go listen to it. dont say that ben should do something more like it. let him evolve himself to what he wants to be. like radiohead, if we didnt let them do what they wanted, we'd prolly never had great albums like Kid A, or OK Computer.
end

~Lemur
"my feet stink, and so does your question"
-darren

Offline smellthesmoke

• ... and in a way I guess I was.
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 10:26:20 PM »
SFS is one of my favorite albums that Ben has ever released, whether solo, with the Five, with Majosha, whatever.  A lot of that has to do with the fact that I went to the promotional show (Jan. 27, 2005) in Durham, NC and saw/heard all the tracks live before the CD even came out.  I think my attraction to the album has a lot to do with that.  I've been to several of Ben's shows, both with and without the Five, and I can't think of any other time where the set list at the show was as influencial on how I feel about the album Ben was promoting or playing at the time.  I mean, don't get me wrong - the other shows certainly kicked ass in a major way, but the style of the shows didn't make me see the album in a different light, really.  The live performances of Silverman's tracklist are so much more energetic, alive, and whatever the lack of mellow is, compared to the studio tracks.  I can easily see how someone not having seen these tracks performed live (and I don't mean on TV) would consider Silverman mellow, but having seen him play all the tracks before the release, I can think back to the show and remember just how kick-ass 'You To Thank', 'Jesusland', 'Trusted', 'Landed', and 'Gracie' - yes, I said 'Gracie' - were.  Can't wait for next week - OMO in Virginia.  -sigh-

Sham It
Being poor was not such a drag in hindsight.

Offline octavia

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 12:58:58 AM »
I think SFS is pretty mellow, but that doesn't mean the songs aren't strong.  Personally I much prefer it to RTS, because I'm just not keen on the production on that album - I think with the exception of a couple of tracks the production sort of spoils some potentially excellent songs.  SFS seems quite different sytlistically to RTS; and to his stuff with BF5, which I have to say I prefer overall.  They had such excellent chemistry.  But then I suppose it's a bit like comparing McCartney's and Lennon's solo stuff with their Beatles material.  Sometimes it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Offline Gina

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »
I've been to several of Ben's shows, both with and without the Five...

SO JEALOUS! I am yet to see a Ben Folds show..woe is me  :'(

I think Songs for Silverman is mellow...but that's in comparison to Rockin' The Suburbs and the BFF stuff. I agree with "lieziewiezie" in saying that SFS is an album that you really have to listen to again and again to fully appreciate it. I mean, when I first got the album, the only song that I'd listen to was "Landed." It took about 1 week of constant 're-play' of 'Landed' for me to finnally start actually listening to the other songs! :P It is a bit mellow, but it's the way that you interpret what he's saying that makes it either a happy-mellow song, or a sad-mellow song :) And either way, it's good :p Not as good as the other stuff though, I have to say...

I love "Prison Food" though. Great song - melodically and lyrically.

Hmm...did what I just typed make sense? Meh...it's 11pm here...I'm going to bed!
I should warn you, I go to sleep...