BARBICAN - 1/06/2005

• 47 Replies

Offline ~M

BARBICAN - 1/06/2005
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »
As with last night, a thoroughly enjoyable show, with plenty of surprises in the setlist. I didn't keep a copy of the setlist this time, as I am hoping someone else did.

I got plenty of good pictures tonight

I will post a few pictures right now, and again, excuse the size.

Clem Snide was again incredible.

Expect better reviews soon...

Expect more later...

Offline Carolyn

Re: BARBICAN - 1/06/2005
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:06:01 AM »
O right so you can post on here but you don't have time to text your little sister!!!!

Offline James H

• "Awwwwww Mummy, I don't want to be a lawyer"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 01:29:46 AM »
The set list was as follows:

In Between Days
Gone
Cooler Than You
Purple Haze (!!!!)
Jesusland
Bastard
Still Fighting It
Carrying Cathy (audience request and very well done - beautiful song!)
All U Can Eat
You to Thanks
Landed
Rock This (Barbican) Bitch ("The Barbican is NOT your bitch, it is a respectable place")
Zak and Sara
Bitches Aint Shit
------------------------------------
Solo:

Emaline
Evaporated
Army
-------------------------------------
Band back:

Where's Summer B?
Rockin' the Suburbs
Annie Waits
Popcorn
Late
Philosophy
---------------------------------------
Encore

Not The Same
One Angry Dwarf

Phew!!

J...

PS.  We waited for quite a while for Ben to come out after the gig, and when he did there was absolutley no joy with getting signatures/photos.  He was pretty much protected by a couple of beefy security people plus Joe De L. He did apologise though and said he usually would stop but he really couldn't.  I think this is mainly due to the fact that he has a broken rib, and looked in shit loads of pain. 

What an amazing two nights performance if he is suffering that hard.  Incredible.
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline ricahrd

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:53:43 AM »
My favourite one had to be Still Fighting It, it was amazing.  Still the whole thing just knocked me completely.  If only you could buy that entire show on disc, then I'd be done!

who was the support act again, I didn't catch his name?

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 01:59:49 AM »
Hey all, I was lucky enough to go to the gig last night! How great was the show? I was front row so had a great view. Bitches ain't shit - now that was good!

Please post more photos - they were very good. Did everyone notice that there was a audience microphone on the stage? Hopefully there will be a soundboard bootleg (dreams!) - checking all the usual places!

Anyway - just thought i'd say hi and praise ben!

Will

Offline ricahrd

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 02:03:20 AM »
Did everyone notice that there was a audience microphone on the stage? Hopefully there will be a soundboard bootleg (dreams!) - checking all the usual places!

Yep, at times I wished I was the sound engineer!!

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 03:26:05 AM »
Wow! a fantastic gig.  One of my all time favourites ever, and I go to a lot of gigs, inc' seeing BF 5 times.  Definately the best gig I've seen Ben do, second best was when I saw him on the WAEA tour, which was a long time ago; that time he broke a piano string!!!

The acoustics in the hall were amazing, it really made it special for me.  Plus we managed to rock the place which is hard to do in a classical concert hall!

Please post more pictures!!

Offline mercutiostwin

• er... yeah.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 03:48:23 AM »
dang that set list was so much better than the hammersmith... was hoping for more improvisation n stuff! Ah well, maybe next time in a few years.
I got da funk...

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 04:44:08 AM »
dang that set list was so much better than the hammersmith... was hoping for more improvisation n stuff! Ah well, maybe next time in a few years.

Thats what I thought too.  I wonder if the barbican gave him more time on stage.  He was on for 2 hours which must be a pretty normal concert length for there, whereas most rock venues would only give you 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 hours normally.

Offline ~M

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 04:51:24 AM »
More photoage coming... Again, sorry for the size.

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 04:56:20 AM »
DONT APOLOGISE ABOUT THE SIZE!
nice to see Ben big:P

wish i was there but so glad i was at hammersmith :)
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline Jesuslanded

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 05:47:21 AM »
FanTASTIC show!!!!

The first time i've seen Ben and it was quality. My camera was rubbish as all my photos are blurred, but he is a little video of Ben's stool throw at the end (no sound). Im gonna have to buy a better camera. Hope someone recorded it.

P.S. The Barbican is not my bitch!!!!

Offline Fred Jones

• Let's do the album cover now
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:50:41 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics, Hippy!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Barbican show, and it was nice that Ben and the boys went off-piste and started taking requests. I can't believe I got to hear 'Evaporated' and 'Carrying Cathy' - two of my favourite Ben songs ever.

It was also great as I had people with me who weren't that familiar with Ben but left as fans!

I'd say on balance though that the Hammersmith show was the better of the two - mainly because it seemed so much louder - being more of a rock venue, I guess, they had the technology to whack up the volume. Did anyone else think the sound was a bit quiet at points during the Barbican show? I guess the 'Rock Governor' must have pushed his button at those points to stop us rocking the Barbican bitch too much...

Offline ~M

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 06:53:13 AM »
Yeah, sorry I didn't get to see you again Conor, We basically arrived 5 minutes before Clem got on stage, and the no mobile signals in there didn't help in the slighest.

Offline mercutiostwin

• er... yeah.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 06:54:52 AM »
That drummer is really very good, can be funky can be technical can be cool. Only problem is that he reminds me a lot of my PE teacher. Not a bad incarnation of the BFF drummer!
I got da funk...