05-05-31 Hammersmith, London *SPOILERS*

• 46 Replies

Offline caliban10

05-05-31 Hammersmith, London *SPOILERS*
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »
Well heavens to betsy, good gosh-o-mighty, etc. There's something about a sold out theatre singing "bitches can't hang in the streets" in unison which sent a shiver down my spine.

It just feels like Ben Folds has gotten a leetle beet more popular in the UK since the show with Divine Comedy.

Please post the setlist (don't forget both versions of Jesusland) and which trackers your recordings will be on cos I would like to have a copy of this one if at all possible.

And obligatory star spotting: Colin Firth, 2nd row balcony. Any others?

Offline Fred Jones

• Let's do the album cover now
Re: 05-05-31 Hammersmith, London *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:39:01 PM »
Just got home - what an amazing gig! The rocked-up Jesusland was hysterical.

And full credit to ScrewedHippy, who was about to get up mid-gig to go to the loo, when Ben said 'This is a song about my brush with the armed forces', and he had to sit with an excruciatingly painful gut just so he could sing along to 'Army'.

If tomorrow's Barbican gig is even half as good as tonight, people are in for a treat!

Offline paddy247

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 04:25:32 PM »
Matt Lucas was backstage too!

Offline ~M

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »
I SWEAR I SAW MATT LUCAS. Up on the balcony. Walking down the aisle. I thought 'that looks like matt lucas'. But then wandered what the hell he was doing at a Ben concert. All I saw was the back of his head, so... maybe it was him.

EDIT: You were backstage?

Offline ~M

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »
Just got home - what an amazing gig! The rocked-up Jesusland was hysterical.

And full credit to ScrewedHippy, who was about to get up mid-gig to go to the loo, when Ben said 'This is a song about my brush with the armed forces', and he had to sit with an excruciatingly painful gut just so he could sing along to 'Army'.

If tomorrow's Barbican gig is even half as good as tonight, people are in for a treat!

Also full props to Fred Jones! Not only for the beer, but for the ticket. You rule! Hope to see you tommorrow!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:35:13 AM »
I can't stop smiling! What a performance! I just love the feeling at ben folds concerts, that everyone else in the room feels the same way as you about the music, all united together! There's definately something different with the atmosphere of a room full of ben folds fans compared to any other concerts I've been to (except of course Faithless) Twas glad that he played some old stuff as well, the new album is most definately growing on me though. Ooo can't wait to see him again tonight! Wagamama is close by to the Barbican isn't it? Pre-show dinner :)

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:42:08 AM »
Such a great show!  I'm so jealous that he can throw a stool at the piano and still make it sound more in tune than I ever could!

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 06:41:18 AM »
Well im home!!
missed the last train to harlow tho hadta get a tube to epping and get a taxi from there, was cool to meet fellow burbians and of course to meet ben WOW i wont shut up about it!!! and of course gig was so amazing!!!! wonder if kel heard my call when ben played rock this bitch lol, my dads now a fan SO amazing, loved every second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wana do it all again, i wana see him all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline mercutiostwin

• er... yeah.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:30:23 AM »
nah he didn't play rock this bitch - i shouted for it but i think he didn't "hear" me!
i had a good time.
I got da funk...

Offline Hanny

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
i heard sum1 shout it tho :P
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 07:37:11 PM »
Astounding. I've been a fan for 10 years and unbelievably this was the first time I've ever seen Ben live (and my 1st post here).
If anyone else was in the first cramped hammersmith and city train back to kings cross afterwards, I empathise with you, although was anyone else tempted to restart the harmonies from not the same or army to the bemusement of the 25% of people in the carriage who hadn't been at the gig?

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »
It was my first Folds gig after being a fan of his for many years and it was awsome  - when the crowd was harmonising on "Not The Same " I didnt join in fully because I just wanted to hear how good it sounded - amazing feeling

and in response to the last thread, me and my mates had a quite a few beers by the end of the gig and we had no problem singing on the tube.  Most of the folds fans were smiling and the rest were scared I think...

also...

If anyone has anymore pictures that would be great as Im thinking of getting a professional printer to blow it up and then framing it! ;)

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 01:23:47 AM »
Hey guys, I thought I'd post some photos from tuesday night, as I have quite a few...
sorry if they take a while to download.. they're worth it! (especially the last one  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Offline Hanny

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 03:02:36 AM »
im still in awe about the whole thing!
woke up by darling mother screaming at my sister this morning and i was dreaming about it lol, soo happy :)

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline NickD

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:19:13 AM »
Was even better than I guessed and the hopes were high. Matt Lucas was indeed there. We saw him tottering out the exit 10 minutes before Ben. Somehow he managed to walk right past 15-odd fans without anyone calling out "my fatties" to him.