philosophy - in concert

• 6 Replies
philosophy - in concert
« on: April 14, 2005, 06:10:10 PM »
Hey all, next month I am playing Philosophy in my High School Talent show, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on improvising, especially for an alternating ending instead of the Inc Miserlou part. Thanks.
- Nick
Come pick me up, I've landed.

Offline Brian Golley

• Peace and harmony, man.
Re: philosophy - in concert
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 09:14:32 PM »
i think you should definately do the section inbetween the two really high parts from the ben folds five and ben folds live version. but apart from that i dunno. u could try dr pyser

Offline pippajane

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »
Listen to the original recording on Ben Folds Five (the album). It's got a completely different ending, no Misirlou. Some of that ending is in the Ben Folds Five Keyboard Signature Licks sheet music book (you can get it online).
you've got to learn to live with what you are

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 08:53:10 PM »
i think you should go into Dr. Physer like Ben does...it sounds really cool
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:08:10 PM »
The concert was awesome! We played philosophy and my friend sang and danced around onstage, and then at the end I transitioned into One Angry Dwarf 200 Solemn Faces. We were limited on time, so we did the first verse, and then I did the crazy solo. The crowd loved it. Thanks to Jake Thaw for the transcriptions :)
Come pick me up, I've landed.

Offline m_D_t

• Bass In Yo' Face!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 02:16:32 PM »
I think it would've been cooler if you went into Bad Idea. That's a short song, and you surely could've done it in the time allotted.

Or even just broken out and started yelling to the audience, "For those of y'all who wear fannie packs... come on..."

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »
Ah I love performing philosophy. I played it with mixtures of Miserlou, Dr Pyser and Super Mario. Performed it at my last secondary school music concert couple of years back, then at a theatre, and most recently last year for my A-level music performance exam! I had to give the examiner the sheet music of it, but had to tell him that I wouldn't be following it exactly! I think he was pleased that i was performing something different, rather than sticking to just classical. Had to play it on my college's beautiful baby grand. It got me an A in the end! Thanks Ben!