Slam Book

• 335 Replies

Offline the_in_betweens

• often misunderstood.. .
Re: Slam Book
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2002, 11:10:56 PM »
1. What was the first BF/F song you ever heard?
Think it was SFTD, played on tape by the girl I had dumped a month earlier.
2. In what order did you obtain the BF/F CDs you own?
WAEA, Eponymous, TUBORM, RTS, and last but not least, the ever-fantabulous JBJ collection
3. When was the first time you saw BF/F live?
Around April, '98.
4. How many times have you seen BF/F live?
Five.
5. Most recent show?
Bowling with Ben, Eagle Rock, CA, 10/18/2001
6. Other bands or musicians you love
INPO: Cake, Radiohead, Bad Religion, the Strokes, Everclear
7. Do you have a Ben related website?
No.
8. Favorite member of the five including Ben?
Ben.
9. Favorite member of Ben's touring band excluding Ben?
Glen Phillips. Ok, maybe that's a stretch... ;)
10. Have you ever met Ben/had something signed by Ben? How many times?
Yes, once at BWB.
11. Did you contribute to Crystal's pressie to Ben?
No.
12. Where did you grow up? Where do you live?
LA / San Diego.
13. What do you do? (student, profession)
"Scientist." Have degrees in Computer Science and Cognitive Science, thus absolutely proving that if "science" appears in a title, it must not be a science.
14. Farthest you've ever travelled to see BF/F?

15. How long have you been a BF/F fan?
Four years.
16. Is Ben or BFF your favorite musician/band, or one of many?
Favorite.
17. Five of your favorite BF/F songs
INPO: Philosophy, Alice Childress, DCYP, Fair, Eddie Walker
18. Males: You want to be Ben, true or false.
Maybe in my next life?
19. Your favorite B/FF song at this very moment. ONLY ONE. We all know it could change at any second.
Let's go with the live "Free Bird Jam / Really Bad Idea" off of JBJ's CD. Somehow the energy is just insanely infectious. Maybe more fitting to call it my current favorite "track" rather than "song."
20. Working on a theory here. Did/do your high school activities include marching band or cheerleading? Any others you care to mention?
No, but theatre, and I too sang in a boy's choir for six years as a kid.
21. What did you/are you/will you study in college?
Computer / Cognitive Science
22. Single? Attached? Married? Kids?
Newly attached to someone you may have heard me fret about a few months ago (pre-attachment) on the late "Star" thread. Feeling very giddy and gooey about it all. You know, like my heart decided it now pumps maple syrup instead of blood.
23. If you could have dinner with a character from a BF/F song, who would it be?
"You" from "Not the Same." The only thing better than eating with Ben would be eating a Ben metaphor for himself.  ;D
24. Why did you choose your screen name? If it's your real name, why did you prefer to use it?
"Philosophy" really speaks to me, and TIB fits my Gemini nature. I tend not to relate to things per se, but to the way they connect to each other--the stuff you can't see or touch, but holds the universe together.
25. Too many questions in this list or not enough?
Works for me...any more and I might not have made it through.
"There is no doggie heaven!...or...to put it another way...there is." --Homer

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2002, 11:35:58 PM »
Oh, you people make me smile.  ;D

As for my theory, I'm not scientific enough to actually tabulate the results - perhaps that should be passed on to TIB, since he's such a "scientist."  But here's what I'm alluding to:

We all know that a very, very large number of Ben/BFF fans have a background in music, whether it be marching band, choir, or any other background in music... but I found it odd when I found out that Kristina and I were both cheerleaders, as was Emily before she realized it sucked.  Then, while I was stalking Greyseal  ;), I read her say she used to be a cheerleader... so I just wanted to include it in my little poll.  Has anyone so far NOT been either involved in music in some way or cheerleading? Of course, this is not to discourage anyone who doesn't fit the theory from submitting their answers...

So the moral of the story is...? I have no idea.  Former cheerleaders are just as nice, smart, and plagued with self-doubt as everybody else, I guess.  ;D

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2002, 11:55:51 AM »
JBJ
I would be someone so far who is/was neither a musician or cheerleader.  The only instrument I play is the radio/turntable/CD player.  ;)

Offline greyseal

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2002, 12:28:33 PM »
oh, but that is a wicked instrument to wield ;)
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2002, 03:10:00 PM »
Tosses Ben Folds Fan some pom poms and a couple of spoons.  There, cheer, play, belong. Ssshhh.

Offline greyseal

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2002, 03:17:02 PM »
You know what?  I found my old cheer pictures last night from JUNIOR HIGH.  LOL, I was putting some items away and stumbled upon them.  The items?  Uh, Ben pictures!  Yeah, I have no sense of organization.  Ben pictures from 2001 with cheer pictures from, uh, 1993!

Incidentally, I had some seriously thick bangs.

~grey
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Kristina

• And you're all dressed up like The Cure.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2002, 10:20:13 AM »
wanna start an online cheerleading scrapbook?

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2002, 06:11:32 PM »
Yeah, that's the only thing I want online MORE than current pictures of me... pictures of me from ages 14-16. :P

Offline Kristina

• And you're all dressed up like The Cure.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2002, 09:40:33 AM »
oh that dreaded awkward stage . . .!

Offline Emily

• "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2002, 03:24:49 PM »

Probably Brick

Er... WAEA first... I know that much...

5. Most recent show?

I've NEVER seen them/him live! EVER! *sob*

Garbage (andy, shut up), eels, at the moment cake, santana, the stones... there's loads more but I'm drawing a blank.

I just work here. :-)

Robert

um. I dunno. I like Snuzz's name. although I think pronouncing it 'snooze' is silly.

10. Have you ever met Ben/had something signed by Ben? How many times?

never. :-(

yep

London and the south of France. I currently live in Bradford.

Second year Peace Studies student.

will you *stop* asking about that already?

just over a year

one of a few

magic, still fighting it, air, eddie walker, evaporated (in no particular order)

Females: You want to be Frally, true or false.

utterly false.

19. Your favorite B/FF song at this very moment. ONLY ONE. We all know it could change at any second.

eddie walker

20. Working on a theory here. Did/do your high school activities include marching band or cheerleading? Any others you care to mention?

I was a cheerleader, briefly, but I hated it.

conflict resolution

in lurve. :-)

23. If you could have dinner with a character from a BF/F song, who would it be?

hiro. I'd introduce him to my dad. I think they'd get on well. *sigh*

24. Why did you choose your screen name? If it's your real name, why did you prefer to use it?

because that's...me.

too many about seeing ben live... *whine*
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Offline Leia

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2002, 03:29:56 PM »
-I heard Underground on the radio in '96 and was immediately hooked.

-I got ST soon after I heard it on the radio and some internet research (yes, I had the internet in '96!) and further on I was psyched when WAEA came out so I got that and then got Fear of Pop and Naked Baby photos at the same time at a nifty record store at a mall... and I got TUBORM in anticipation the DAY it came out... and I had a burned copy of RTS as soon as it was available.. then when it came out, my friend Natsumi sent me the Japanese copy of it (I still don't have the American release). I have many scatterings of singles and promos and imports and such.. I won't go into it at the moment.

-well, because I was young at the beginning of the band's career, the first time I saw the boys was in Cleveland, Ohio in 1998.

-let's see... eleven. Yea, that's it. 11 times.

5. Most recent show?
-The most recent show I saw was the Charlotte, NC show on December 14th.

-Radiohead, PresidentsoftheUnitedStatesofAMerica, Cake, THey Might be Giants, Beck, Flogging Molly, Tracy Bonham, The Cardigans, James-Maynard (TOOL), Putrid Flowers, Utopia, Joe Walsh, Bill Evans, Fleming and John, Todd Rundgren, Michel Camillo, Built to Spill, the Moldy Peaches, Joe Jackson, weezer and the list goes on!

-no, but everyone tells me I should have one.

-sigh, this is difficult. THey all have their own distinguishing qualities.. Rob's a blast, Ben is a genius, and Darren is dreamy... I've never met Darren before, though...

Millard and Snuzz are both sweethearts, and Jim is a riot! I love them all equally. BUT- we mustn't exclude the amazing roadies, managers, and sound people (Marc, Joe, Doug, Michael- they are all so wonderful)

10. Have you ever met Ben/had something signed by Ben? How
many times?
-I've met and talked to Ben numerous times (I won't go into how many...) He signed various things for me: RTS single, 4 song promo disc, a paper for my friend, a photo with my friend, my RTS promo poster, the liner notes to the japanese RTS, and my favorite-- my captain underpants poster.

-yes I did.
i've been running through these fields, it's such a lovely place you dream

Offline Leia

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2002, 03:30:46 PM »
(here's the rest- my original post was too long)

-I grew up here in Ohio, USA and I still live here and go to college here (in cleveland)

-I'm a student and an aspiring musician.

-the time I saw him in NC was a 10 hour drive to get there...

-since '96

-of course the boys hold a special place in my heart and I always rank them top notch... I do listen to other music and have my other favorites, however.

-sigh-this one is difficult, too. Okay here's just fie of my favorites then: Underground, Philosophy, Last Polka, Plans, and my all time favorite songs are the ones that BFf made up on the spot-- the jams.

False, I'm happy being me... of course a 'me' who had a close relationship with my idol would be nice, too.

-Robert's Shirt.

-haha, yes I was a 5 year marching band member... that along with science club, academic challenge team, debate, literary magazine club, drama, jazz band, orchestra, wind ensemble... yea, I was a busy girl.

-I am studying in college for my orchestral performance major.

-yes, that's right folks, Leia is single... I'm just glad I have a cat (Daisy!).

-that'd have to be Eddie Walker because I think we'd relate well to eachother.

my name at this board is Leia (my real name, because it gets confusing after awhile)... at the benfoldsfive site, my name is therealleia (because when I signed un for my email initially, my name was taken because of star wars.. hence my name being 'theREALLeia') and my name and the benoflds.org site is thefakeleia (becuase when Ben went solo I felt that it'd be hard for be to get used to liking Ben's music without the other two.. so I felt that the REAL-me was a hardcore BFF fan and the "fake" me liked ben's new stuff... of course I've come to realize that I enjoy any form of that man's genius).

I could answer some more... come on. Give me your best shot! No, really.. good question/answer forum.. I really liked it! Yay for Jane!!

Love,
Leia
i've been running through these fields, it's such a lovely place you dream

Styf

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2002, 07:44:30 PM »
1. What was the first BF/F song you ever heard? Underground on the CMJ sampler disk. It quickly became my favorite song and remains dear to me today.
2. In what order did you obtain the BF/F CDs you own? Whatever and Ever, Ben Folds Five, Naked Baby Photos, Fear Of Pop, Unauthorized Biography of Reinold Messner, Rockin the Suburbs
3. When was the first time you saw BF/F live? In Grand Rapids, MI, in 1999
4. How many times have you seen BF/F live? only 3
5. Most recent show? Pontiac in October
6. Other bands or musicians you love- Radiohead, Coldplay, Mustard Plug, Green Day, Blink
7. Do you have a Ben related website? no
8. Favorite member of the five including Ben? Ben
9. Favorite member of Ben's touring band excluding Ben? snuzz
10. Have you ever met Ben/had something signed by Ben? How many times? no
11. Did you contribute to Crystal's pressie to Ben? no
12. Where did you grow up? Where do you live? Hastings, MI/East Lansing, MI
13. What do you do? (student, profession)Sports Writer, 3rd year student at Michigan State
14. Farthest you've ever travelled to see BF/F? Fort Wayne, Ind.
15. How long have you been a BF/F fan? 8 years
16. Is Ben or BFF your favorite musician/band, or one of many? favorite
17. Five of your favorite BF/F songs- Underground, Uncle Walter, Battle of Who Could Care Less, Fred Jones Part II, Hiro's Song (I cheated, put 6)
18. Males: You want to be Ben, true or false. false
19. Your favorite B/FF song at this very moment. ONLY ONE. We all know it could change at any second. Annie Waits
20. Working on a theory here. Did/do your high school activities include marching band or cheerleading? Any others you care to mention? Marching band, tennis, golf, basketball
21. What did you/are you/will you study in college? journalism and literature to be a writer
22. Single? Attached? Married? Kids? single
23. If you could have dinner with a character from a BF/F song, who would it be? Fred Jones
24. Why did you choose your screen name? If it's your real name, why did you prefer to use it? I am proud of it
25. Too many questions in this list or not enough? good number

Styf

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2002, 08:04:10 PM »
Excuse my math on the years a fan...I thought about it again and it was more like 6.5

Lucy

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2002, 01:36:54 PM »
Right, hi, I'm new.
1. What was the first BF/F song you ever heard? Uderground played on the piano by a friend.
2. In what order did you obtain the BF/F CDs you own? self titled on tape, then I bought it, then Whatever, Naked Baby Photos, then Reinhold and of course Rockin' the Suburbs.
3. When was the first time you saw BF/F live? Royal Albert Hall December 14th 1999, right at the front, my first and last time seeing all of them live.
4. How many times have you seen BF/F live? Ben once so far and Ben Folds Five once.
5. Most recent show? Ben Folds at V2001 - the only reason why I went and camped out in the rain.
6. Other bands or musicians you love: Fleming and John, Guster, Radiohead, Beck, Portishead, lots of others
7. Do you have a Ben related website? nope, way to technological for me, I can barely post messages
8. Favorite member of the five including Ben?   Mr Darren
9. Favorite member of Ben's touring band excluding Ben? Snuzz is pretty cool
10. Have you ever met Ben/had something signed by Ben? How many times? nope, unfortunately
11. Did you contribute to Crystal's pressie to Ben? No, I wasn't here, but what was it?
12. Where did you grow up? Where do you live? London, London.
13. What do you do? (student, profession) Student
14. Farthest you've ever travelled to see BF/F? about 16 tube stops, oh no, London to Chelmsford aswell.
15. How long have you been a BF/F fan? about 5 years or something
16. Is Ben or BFF your favorite musician/band, or one of many? Yes, one of many many many.
17. Five of your favorite BF/F songs. Oh god, I hate this question, can't choose, um, I'll just write down 5 songs by BF/F : Underground, Fred Jones Part 2, Don't cange your plans, Kate, For those of y'all - it is so funny!
  Females: You want to be Frally, true or false. yeah kind of, maybe just for a day to see what it was like.
20. Working on a theory here. Did/do your high school activities include marching band or cheerleading? Any others you care to mention? Nope, I did play in orchestra and sing in choir and madrigal group though, so I guess that is the english equivalent right?
21. What did you/are you/will you study in college? English
22. Single? Attached? Married? Kids? single, woohooo!
23. If you could have dinner with a character from a BF/F song, who would it be? Eddie Walker - I thinkg he'd have lots to talk about.
24. Why did you choose your screen name? If it's your real name, why did you prefer to use it? I'm not imaginative enough to think up a good screen name. Damn it.
25. Too many questions in this list or not enough? just about right.