BENVIVOR IV CHALLENGES

• 32 Replies

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re:BENVIVOR IV CHALLENGES
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2005, 10:50:06 AM »
Clarification Alert!

Just in from James:

For the different versions of the official site question (#2), the different images on the splash screen (like the EP art and Elliot Smith tribute) are NOT counted as a separate version each.

Hope that helps y'all. If you've already submitted your answer taking each of those as separate, feel free to resubmit.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline James H

• "Awwwwww Mummy, I don't want to be a lawyer"
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 04:32:03 AM »
Sorry for the delay peeps - was dragged away from my desk!   ::)

Round 6 Results

4 Correct (immunity for Round 7)

Hooray – I obviously hit my difficulty targets!  No-one has immunity this week – it’s a free for all!

3 Correct (no immunity)

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Screwed Hippy, The Big Steamy Thing, Marty

2.75 Correct (no immunity)

8Bit, Renata N

2.5 Correct (no immunity)

Emaline03

2.25 Correct (no immunity)

Jonny Husker

2 Correct (no immunity)

CMajor7th, Harmonized MoFo, Sebster

Voting

Another interesting week in the voting. Having gained immunity for the first 4 round, HarminzedMoFo faced the vote for the first time.  With a staggering 9 votes, the tribe saw a weakness in one of the stronger members of the pack and attacked.

The tribe has spoken.  Harmonized MoFo is eliminated.

Round 6 Answers

1.  When Ben toured with The Divine Comedy in the UK, he played 2 instruments other than piano. Name them both (and be specific).

Ben played drums and the accoustic guitar.  Props (but alas no points) to those that correctly told me the songs he played each instrument for!

2.  How many different versions of the official Ben Folds website has there been? (not including the 'coming soon' page)

There have been 4.  First it was red, then it was black, then it was white, now it's black again.  This caused some confusion and controversy, but…well…tough.  That's the answer I was looking for, and I'm in charge!

3.  What is Ben's connection between The Last Polka and Missing the War? (and no, not that BFF recorded both of them! )

As everyone spotted, Ben describes Missing the War as the sister song to The Last Polka.

4. Give me the song that these lyric excerpts come from.  1/4 point for each:

Before I get on to the song, and just for clarification, I did not and would not except non-Ben songs as answers to these questions.  Yes, I didn't say it HAD to be a Ben song, but this is Benvivor, so I thought it was pretty self explanatory.  I do, however, appreciate the attempt!!

"Well f*ck you" (Other than SFTD or SFTD Minor)

This was from Uncle Walter, as it appeared on the cassette tape version of the first album.  The lyric was removed on the CD.

"You broke my heart too"

This is from Song For The Dumped Minor, on the BFL DVD version.  Another tough one, but people managed so I don't feel that guilty!

"Ignore me"

Taken from I Touch Myself, covered by Ben and Ben Lee on The Bens tour.  If you haven't heard this cover, you should – its great!

"The heart and mind"

And finally, this is from Ben's oft played cover, Careless Whisper.

Round 7 will appear below shortly.

J…
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline James H

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 04:33:06 AM »
ROUND 7 QUESTIONS

1. What did Robert lose during the shoot for the "Brick" video

2. What was the date and venue of Ben’s first post-BFF concert?

3. On what film did Ben originally plan to base the Rockin' The Suburbs video on?

Voting

It’s a free for all this week.  Vote off one of the following (and people are STILL forgetting to vote when they submit their answers…please concentrate people!!!):

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Screwed Hippy, The Big Steamy Thing, Marty, 8Bit, Renata N, Emaline03, Jonny Husker, CMajor7th, Sebster

You have 47.5 hours from the timestamp on this message to get your answers in (i.e. midday GMT Wednesday 23 February)!

Good luck.

J…

EDIT by Andy: He did, of course, mean 47.5 hours (now corrected). Honestly, James... ::)
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline James H

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 04:03:42 AM »
Round 7 Results

3 Correct (immunity for Round 8 )

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Screwed Hippy, The Big Steamy Thing, Marty

2 Correct (no immunity)

Emaline03

1 Correct (no immunity)

RenataN, Sebster, CMajor7th, 8Bit

0 Correct (no immunity)

The pressure finally got to Jonny Husker, bowing out with 0 correct answers and he is, therefore, eliminated

Voting

This has become a little issue this time around.  You see, Jonny Husker polled the most votes, but has already been eliminated for not getting any answers correct.  

I don't think it is fair for me to eliminate the person voted second…THIS TIME!  However, please take this as notice that from now on, should the person who has received the most votes have already been eliminated, the SECOND placed contestant in the vote will be eliminated (and then the third, etc.).  ;D

However, for this round, the tribe has spoken - Jonny Husker, while making his exit from the competition, was chased away by the other contestants and forcibly eliminated for a second time.  Geez, kick a man when he's down guys!  ;)

Round 7 Answers

1. What did Robert lose during the shoot for the "Brick" video?

Robert lost his wallet.

2. What was the date and venue of Ben’s first post-BFF concert?

16 July 2001 – at the Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach

3. On what film did Ben originally plan to base the Rockin' The Suburbs video on?

No, not Space Odyssey!  Or indeed a Korn Music video!

It was American Beauty.

Round 8 will appear below shortly.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 04:05:25 AM »
ROUND 8 QUESTIONS

1. Frank Maynard had the original Ben Folds Five website. What was its original URL? (No fishing on the Armchair now please!)

2. How long was there between BFF forming and them signing to their first record label (in months will do)?

3. According to Ben - where might one expect to hear The Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun"?

4. Voting

Please vote for one of Emaline03, RenataN, Sebster CMajor7th or 8Bit.

You have 48 hours from the timestamp on this message to get your answers in (i.e. 12.00pm GMT Friday 25 February).  

We are then going to have a brief hiatus in the game as I am going to be away on Friday so won't be here to check your answers and post the next round.  Round 9 will therefore commence on Monday 28 February, at around midday GMT.

Good luck.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 04:13:19 AM »
Round 8 Results

3 Correct (immunity for Round 9)

Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, The Big Steamy Thing, 88kickinkeys, Screwed Hippy, Marty

2 Correct (no immunity)

Emaline03, Renata

1 Correct (no immunity)

CMajor7th, 8Bit

0 Correct (no immunity)

The pressure finally got to Sebster, bowing out with 0 correct answers and he is, therefore, eliminated

Voting

No dispute in the voting this week.

The tribe has spoken – with 6 votes 8Bit has been eliminated[/b.

Round 8 Answers

1. Frank Maynard had the original Ben Folds Five website. What was its original URL? (No fishing on the Armchair now please!)

http://oeonline.com/~maynard/bff or http://oeonline.com/bff - I am advised that either worked.

2. How long was there between BFF forming and them signing to their first record label (give dates please!)?

The answer I wanted was 9 months, BFF having fromed in January 1994 and signing to Caroline in October 1994.  However, I accepted one month either side (i.e.8 or 10) on the grounds that it depends how you count your months.

3. According to Ben - where might one expect to hear The Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun"

Ben said on the "potty mouth" promo for WAEA "You know how many people have gotten their teeth drilled to this?"

Round 9 will appear below shortly.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 04:17:02 AM »
ROUND 9 QUESTIONS

1.  What was Ben Folds Five's name before it was Ben Folds Five?

2.  Which major US publication poked fun at a Ben Folds Five video with a parody?

3.  Where did Ben Folds and Neil Hannon first meet?

4. Voting - Please vote for one of the following:

Emaline03, RenataN, CMajor7th

You have just short of 48 hours from the timestamp on this message to get your answers in (i.e. 12.00pm GMT Wednesday 2 March).  

Good luck.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 04:28:56 AM »
Late again, sorry!

Round 9 Results

3 Correct (immunity for Round 10)

The usual suspects:

Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, The Big Steamy Thing, 88kickinkeys, Screwed Hippy, Marty

2 Correct (no immunity)

Emaline03

1 Correct (no immunity)

RenataN, CMajor7th

Voting

The tribe has spoken – with 8 votes Emaline has been eliminated.

Round 8 Answers

1.  What was Ben Folds Five's name before it was Ben Folds Five?

It was Rosetta Stone, although I would have accepted Dear Rosetta Stone as Ben did call them that once.

2.  Which major US publication poked fun at a Ben Folds Five video with a parody?

It was MAD magazine – have a look-see!

3.  Where did Ben Folds and Neil Hannon first meet?

They met at a Ben Folds Five gig in the Royal Albert Hall, London, in 1999.

Round 10 will appear below shortly.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 04:30:35 AM »
ROUND 10 QUESTIONS

1. What blood type is Ben and what blood type is Robert?

2. Which BF/F song contains the words "put that over there"?

3. Which musical version of a film did Ben Folds arrange the music for?

Voting

Please vote for one of the following:

RenataN, CMajor7th

You have a little under 48 hours from the timestamp on this message to get your answers in (i.e. 12.00pm GMT Friday 4 March).

Good luck.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 06:01:35 AM »
Round 10 Results

3 Correct (immunity for Round 11)

Hahahahahahaha – no one got them all!!

2 Correct (no immunity)

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Marty, Renata N, The Big Steamy Thing

1 Correct (no immunity)

Screwed Hippy

No answers

I received no answers from CMajor7th who is, therefore, eliminated

Voting

The tribe has spoken – with 6 votes Renata has been eliminated.

Round 9 Answers

1. What blood type is Ben and what blood type is Robert?

According to Robert in an interview, Ben is O negative and Robert is AB.  I am slightly freaked that everyone got this – I thought it was going to be a toughy!

2.  Which BF/F song contains the words "put that over there"?

It is Julianne – well spotted people.

3.  Which musical version of a film did Ben Folds arrange the music for?

This one, however, got everyone.  

A lot of answers quoted ‘Not Another Teen Movie’ for which Ben produced the song “Prom Tonight”.  However, I haven’t found any evidence to suggest that Ben arranged the music for the whole film.  And I don’t think that ‘Not Another Teen Movie’ would qualify as a musical!

The answer was an off-Braodway production of 'The Buddy Holly Story'.

Therein lies the perils to those working in a team – one person gets it wrong and so does everybody!

So, voting free for all next round!!

Round 11 will appear below shortly.

J…

Offline James H

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 06:02:28 AM »
ROUND 11 QUESTIONS

1. Which football team’s kit does Robert like the most?

2. Which member of Ben Folds Five's trousers featured prominently in an advert?

3. Why did Darren’s mother want him to be a drummer?

4. Voting Free for all!!!  Please vote for one of the following:

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Marty, The Big Steamy Thing, Screwed Hippy

You have until 12.00pm GMT on Monday 7 March to get your answers in.

Good luck.

J…

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re: BENVIVOR IV CHALLENGES
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 05:41:22 AM »
DEADLINE CHANGE

Because of the downtime, the deadline for this round is now midday (GMT) Wednesday, 9th March.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline James H

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 04:22:01 AM »
Round 11 Results

3 Correct (immunity for Round 12)

Again, nobody got all 3 correct

2 Correct (no immunity)

88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard, Marty, The Big Steamy Thing

No answers

I received no answers from Screwed Hippy who is, therefore, eliminated

Voting

I knew this would happen eventually, so I am gald I posted rules above (see the voting section of the results to Round 7).

Screwed Hippy polled the most votes, getting 3, but has already been eleiminated by virtue of not returning any answers.

That leaves a tie, with 1 vote each, between The Big Steamy Thing and Marty.  I therefore revert to the rules for tied voting (see voting section in the Round 2 Questions).

Both got 2 correct in this round - still both up for elimination.
So far, The Big Steamy Thing has got 32 points, with Marty falling slightly behind on 28.

Marty has therefore been eliminated.

Round 11 Answers

1. Which football team’s kit does Robert like the most?

The answer was Argentina's.  Don't ask me why!

2. Which member of Ben Folds Five's trousers featured prominently in an advert?

Robert.  A lot of people thought this was a trick question, and I guess in a way it could have been, but the answer stems from an interview when Robert stated that they were his pants that appearered in the Levi ads.

3. Why did Darren’s mother want him to be a drummer?

I love this quote:

"Mom actually suggested that I get the drums because that way I could have a band with my friends and we wouldn't all sit around wanking on the guitar."

I also accepted that his Mum said it would be easier for him to get into a band.

But the other quote is so much cooler!

Round 12 will appear below shortly.

Offline James H

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2005, 04:49:35 AM »
ROUND 12 QUESTIONS

1.  Which friend of Ben's used to sing about Veronica?

2.  What nationality does Ben feel his writing most closely mirrors?

3.  What was the working name for Whatever and Ever Amen?

4.  Vote for one of 88kickinkeys, Barbfoldsfive, Jrkeyboard or The Big Steamy Thing

You have 47 hours and 10 minutes to get your answers in - i.e. 12 pm GMT Friday 11 March 2005.

Good luck

J...

Offline James H

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 05:40:34 AM »
Round 12 Results

3 Correct

Jrkeyboard, Barbfoldsfive

0 Correct (no immunity)

The Big Steamy Thing

No answers

I received answers from 88Kickinkeys but unfortunately they were over an hour late and, therefore, cannot be considered.  88Kikcinkeys is, therefore, eliminated

Voting

Watch this space - stewards enquiry in progress!

Round 12 Answers

1.  Which friend of Ben's used to sing about Veronica?

That was Eddie Walker.  It was a story told at some of the gigs, including the Shepherds Bush gig.  Ben used to visit Eddie when he was in a halfway house and Eddie used to sing Ben songs.  Ben quotes one, saying "He used to sit and strum the guitar, singing over and over "Verrrrooonnicaaaaa, I want to touuuccch yoouu".  But he couldnt becasue of the restraining order..."

2.  What nationality does Ben feel his writing most closely mirrors?

It is the English:  http://www.dropd.com/issue/46/BenFoldsFive/

3.  What was the working name for Whatever and Ever Amen?

It depends where you look but I accepted any from "Waist Deep in Hookers and Coke", "The Little Girl With Teeth" or "Cigarette".

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR THE NEXT STEP!

J...