Ben, Shatner's hero

• 13 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Ben, Shatner's hero
« on: November 29, 2004, 10:06:33 PM »
I know I've neglected my website for the longest time, but I am still lazily collecting articles with the intent of one day updating it...

Thought you guys might enjoy this snippet from an article about William Shatner:

People are throwing around the words "critically praised" when they talk about the new album. Your collaborator Ben Folds deserves a lot of credit, I would imagine.

He's my new best friend. He's a musical genius. I would present him with the words and he would start to devise something. I'm not quite sure how it works. He would find a melody that fitted and then a style, and the style was different for each song. Our families have gotten close, and I really care a great deal about him.

A new hero?

He is a hero -- Ben's my hero.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041126.wx7questions26/BNStory/Entertainment/

Offline James H

• "Awwwwww Mummy, I don't want to be a lawyer"
Re:Ben, Shatner's hero
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:26:08 AM »
Nice, thanks JBJ!

Is this a sign of more regular updates to follow?!

;)

J...
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline Brian Golley

• Peace and harmony, man.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 01:56:31 AM »
on the ball still, nice work jbj

Offline Kristina

• And you're all dressed up like The Cure.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:14:48 AM »
Has anyone heard the Shatner album?  And slightly disturbed by the spoken word cover of Pulp's 'Common People?'

~K

Offline Itslikeimsayin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 10:30:26 AM »
I have and love the Shatner album.

What bums me out is Shatner being on all these shows and whenever he mentions and praises Ben, the host rarely seems to acknowledge Ben or recognize his name. On a related note, my digital cable guide said Shatner was supposed to be on The Late Late Show on CBS last night with Michael Ian Black hosting, but he wasn't on.

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 04:18:47 PM »
I love the Shatner album, just sooo easy to chill out. Loads of articles I have read all call Common People a genius cover.....

Offline The Madison Man

• Each man has his price, Bob & yours was pretty low
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 09:26:36 PM »
I'm not surprised that Bill Shatner said that about Ben.  Shatner has been looking for someone to do another album with, but before Folds came along, people that Shatner talked to didn't treat him seriously.

I'm actually surprised that Folds mixed the album as well as he did.  I didn't like a lot of the mixing from the EPs, but Shatner's albums makes up for it.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 11:37:48 PM »
I haven't heard the album, but I heard the same 4-5 songs two nights in a row at the LA shows in October.  I didn't think I would buy the album, but now I think I'll get it eventually.  103.1 in LA (new "indie" station) plays Common People all the time... I actually really like it. Doesn't disturb me at all, probably because I've never heard the original, and I'm so impressed with Joe Jackson.

Offline amyarmchairgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 09:51:52 AM »
i can't believe there's any true Ben fans who don't have this album, it's fabulous. The trouble is nobody seems to be taking it seriously, mainly because the last album Shatner made was (and was intended to be) a joke. Jonathan Ross played a bit of one of the songs off the album on his show, and the audience laughed even before they listened to it, because they think it's meant to be a joke.
Yes the album is funny, but it's wonderful music too, it's most certainly not a joke album. Most of my friends who I've forced to listen to it actually genuinely like it.
So if you haven't got it, what are you waiting for???

Offline The Madison Man

• Each man has his price, Bob & yours was pretty low
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 05:02:41 PM »
So if you haven't got it, what are you waiting for???

okay, i know you love that album and i respect that, but i'm not going to buy it.  i like a couple songs from it, but i don't think it is a solid start-to-finish album.  my opinion has nothing to do with transformed man.  the track "common people" is very solid and impressive, but tracks like "has been" are cute-sy humor with limited shelf-life appeal.  it's fine if you like it, but please don't tell me that a "true ben folds fan" would like this album.

Offline jmhard

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 07:11:32 PM »
>>>>>
he trouble is nobody seems to be taking it seriously, mainly because the last album Shatner made was (and was intended to be) a joke.
<<<<<

Are you talking about Transofrmed Man?  If so, that was not intended as a joke.

Offline amyarmchairgirl

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 09:21:52 AM »
I've never heard (or heard of) Transformed Man so excuse my ignorance! I just think Has Been is great. I'm not saying any ben folds fan should like it, just they should listen to it!
I'll keep quiet in future.

Offline Mustang451

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »
*shrug*

I think Has Been is a wonderful work. It's honest. It's fallible. It's just real. And I suppose that's odd cause Shatner is none of those things....but the album is.

If you don't like it, oh well. Better luck next time.
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Offline jmhard

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »
>>>>>
I'll keep quiet in future.
<<<<<

No need to do that.  Sorry, I wasn't trying to berate you, I just wanted to let you know it was intended to be serious.  It was a total joke, but not intentionally.  A lot of people don't realize that.