[MIDI] RTS - Ascent of Stan

• 9 Replies

Offline greenwire

[MIDI] RTS - Ascent of Stan
« on: October 08, 2005, 03:50:12 AM »
crazy version for pianists with mutant hands.

;D
What is it about music that enchants us? DA NOTES! - Renier Wolfcastle.

Re: [MIDI] RTS - Ascent of Stan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:05:45 PM »
nicely done!  \m/
Come pick me up, I've landed.

Offline dranscht

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 05:08:35 PM »
And why must the pianist have mutant hands? I can't really tell just by listening.

Offline greenwire

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:41:05 AM »
this was transcribed from the album version, so it's a combo of the two piano tracks, (maybe three in places), and possibly some banjo too :)
it's certainly not how ben plays it.
i really wouldn't suggest that anyone should try and learn to play it like this, unless they're a sadist.
might make a good mobile phone ringer tho.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 03:52:04 AM »
this was transcribed from the album version, so it's a combo of the two piano tracks, (maybe three in places), and possibly some banjo too :)
it's certainly not how ben plays it.
i really wouldn't suggest that anyone should try and learn to play it like this, unless they're a sadist.
might make a good mobile phone ringer tho.

The player piano at work makes rather quick work of it.

Offline rccody

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »
i took a look at it, and those are some pretty spread out intervals though i always see that kind of thing in piano books and wonder how or why people transcribe stuff like that

and my hand can only barely reach an octave

but the intro part, i play it sort of as transcribed in the songbook, minus the doubling of the bass, so the left hand is doing some alternating 16ths between each tone in the chord and the bass note so i'd do Gmin like G2-D3-Bb2-D3-D2-D3-Bb2-D3 (i don't remember octave number things) and loop that and then do the same for the next chord

but i like the midi, and it's nice to have an ascent of stan midi

edit this will probably better illustrate what i mean

Offline Patrick

• What Up
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
When I play it solo, I kind of cheat.  I just take the chord positions and there's a certain pattern to playing it that it's the same thing over and over again, but it sounds pretty awesome.  I'll post a MIDI of it if you want so you guys can judge how it sounds?
I wish I had something to say right here... but unfortunately I don't.  Hold on... I guess what I said right there sort of counts as saying something.  But I'm out of space.

Offline greenwire

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 05:51:13 AM »
the live version in the completed transcription board is a lot more accurate.
im gonna have another look at it though, coz there's something wrong in the first verse.

the big intervals are hard when you first start playing it, but its surprising how quickly it becomes easy. its kinda in the wrist, and using your middle finger as a pivot. (hard to explain)

jesusland is a good warmup for ascent of stan, because it has a similar left hand pattern but its not as big a stretch.

Offline Patrick

• What Up
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:24:25 AM »
Here's the MIDI the way that I play it.  Now that I listen to it, I guess I sort of combinded the live and album version?  I don't really know.  As for the speed, I know it's really fast and I apologize... I always wind up playing things faster than I mean to.  But I don't know, this works for me.
I wish I had something to say right here... but unfortunately I don't.  Hold on... I guess what I said right there sort of counts as saying something.  But I'm out of space.

Offline greenwire

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:30 AM »
good stuff! better than i can play it at the moment. i lose it in the verses.