Rob's pedals

• 10 Replies

Offline tacchan113

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Rob's pedals
« on: July 24, 2002, 08:45:50 AM »
Hey, I want to know about Rob's pedals.  Had he used the pedals ...Big Muff and kinda franger?  If so, where were they made from?  Russian Big Muff or American?  The franger was supposed to be used on the song of " Regrets". :o
Come on, Ben!  Come back to Japan!

Offline jmhard

Re: Rob's pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 10:11:49 PM »
>>>>>
franger
<<<<<

I'm not familiar with this type of pedal.  Did you mean a phlanger, or is this something different?

Offline James H

• "Awwwwww Mummy, I don't want to be a lawyer"
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 03:49:52 PM »
Am i the onyl one that laughed at the russin muff thing?  
:-[

J...sad
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline jmhard

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 09:48:03 AM »
>>>>>
Am i the onyl one that laughed at the russin muff thing?
<<<<<

You know that I did ;D

Offline Rubber_Sled

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 03:36:15 AM »
I don't know the whole story but in the early 90's, Electro-Harmonix bought the rights to the Big Muff and other pedals and manufactured them in the states.

Franger: Flanger/Phaser? Just a guess.

He did use it on Regrets and performed it that way live.
My guess is that it's a mix of light distortion with a phaser(?) set in a wide/slow sweep mode.
Also, if I remember correctly, it was Regrets that he played the jazzy notes w/his fretting hand while playing the KAT synth with his right.

Here's a clip of his setup pre-Messner:
"Robert played a Hamer Explorer bass on the first (eponymous) album, and a new Fender Jazz bass with an old sixties bridge for Whatever and Ever Amen. At home, he has an Epiphone Les Paul bass, a Maison P-Bass copy that he bought in Japan, and an 1965 Carl Hoffner upright bass. He uses Emo strings (medium light gauge) and Dunlop picks. The bass is pumped through an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff distortion pedal, through a Trace Elliot amp into two stacks of four 12s with an additional 15 inside."  

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 07:44:23 AM »
I play an Aria MAGNA series bass plugged into a Laney HCM30B amp via a 7ft Scorpion patch lead...

I love how quoting brands makes me sound like I know what I'm doing with it all. ;D

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline hey_kate

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 08:13:59 PM »
andy, of course. anyone who can play lady marmalade on the bass knows what they're doing. :P teehee.

Offline Rubber_Sled

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 03:37:15 AM »
lol, you think I can fit in a few more product names that 99 percent of this board could care less about?

I myself play a heavy-guage 4 string neck-through-body black Rippinhacker through a AMD1000 SoundNastier EX preamp with a folded-horn enclosure.

ok, it's very late. I'll stop.  

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2002, 07:23:33 AM »
hey is this an endorsement page or something ? lol

Yeah and the Russian Muff was very funny...

My endoresment shit.....

I play a Epiphone 5 string Thunderbird bass, with ELite extra strings ( when i can find them), through a Park/Marshall 75w Amp with a Graphic EQ. Occasionally using a Zoom 506 bass FQ unit. So does anyone know where i can get a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff distortion pedal?

Offline Rubber_Sled

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2002, 01:19:21 AM »
I didn't look too hard but this was one link I tried on Google

http://www.buzzfox.com/el-bigmuff.html

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2002, 05:37:51 PM »
So did Rob use one of the reissue Big Muff pedals or did he use one of the original 70s Big muff pedals?