The tragic break-up announcement...

• 6 Replies

Offline beadman3

• "My, my... The cruelest lies are often told without a word. My, my... The sweetest truths are often spoken and never heard."
The tragic break-up announcement...
« on: April 25, 2002, 04:39:29 PM »
Does anyone have any info on that? I heard someone say that the band broke up because they weren't getting along. Can anyone confirm what was said? They seemed okay together on stage and stuff. I know Ben has always wanted to "quit the band," just because he tires of certain things quickly. Wouldn't that make their break-up inevitable anyway? I was in Brazil at the time and I was devistated, because I had just become a huge fan of theirs, already owning all of their albums (minus NBP) and I'd never been to a concert! I still think Ben Folds is awesome without Darren and Robert, but as I watched Ben in concert (which ROCKED), I couldn't help think of how much better it would have been to have them there. That's why I watch the BFF Sessions DVD, to remenice of the good ol' days!
"C'mon England! Throw everything you've got at me! Your bad weather, perverted criminals... your spotted dicks!" Owen Wilson, Shanghai Knights

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re: The tragic break-up announcement...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 06:39:18 PM »
Here is the official statement:

Ben Folds Five Announces Split: New Projects Forthcoming

After six great years as a band, touring and making records, Ben Folds Five is calling it quits. Alan Wolmark, the band's manager, says that the split is amicable and that the decision was made because all three members felt the band had run its musical course and wanted to pursue other musical interests.

As Ben Folds confirms "The band is splitting on good terms. We are very proud of our three albums, our little hit and our audience. Now it is time to bow out with dignity rather than to make that final 'cash-in' record and tour which, of course, is very tempting."

Ben Folds has written, recorded and produced the song, "Lonely Christmas Eve," for the film "How The Grinch Stole Christmas," opening later this month and for the soundtrack CD out next week. In addition, "Wandering", another new song written, recorded and produced by Ben Folds, will be in the forthcoming independent film "100 Girls." Folds, who lives in Australia with his wife and twins, is currently in the studio recording a new album with producer Ben Grosse for release on Epic Records in the spring.

Darren Jessee is assembling a band and has been playing his own new material on the New York club circuit for the past year. Robert Sledge is currently putting together a new group and producing bands in his Chapel Hill, North Carolina studio. Sledge has also been touring with ex-Squirrel Nut Zippers Tom Maxwell and his band The Minor Drag.

Ben Folds Five and their crew would like to thank all their loyal fans who have made them feel comfortable and welcome throughout the world where they have been fortunate enough to visit and entertain.
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline beadman3

• "My, my... The cruelest lies are often told without a word. My, my... The sweetest truths are often spoken and never heard."
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 01:14:21 PM »
Yeah, I read the official announcement from their web site, but some one was commenting about "Barrytown" and said it would've been better if they were getting along. "Barrytown," I believe, was recorded a while before their break-up. In other words, that person was just assuming things.
"C'mon England! Throw everything you've got at me! Your bad weather, perverted criminals... your spotted dicks!" Owen Wilson, Shanghai Knights

Offline DaveFer

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 11:30:24 PM »
i still think that they broke up, cause they were scared about the fame, and the touring thing, the got tired of that, and they decided to broke up.

Well, that the only thing that makes sense for me, i dont know if makes sense for you guys

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 10:22:11 AM »
Sorry Dave but that makes no sense for me. I think the general reason was they were just fed up of each other. After spending so much time together they were bound to get pissed off with each other, and then decided to split.

Offline Itslikeimsayin

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 06:57:43 PM »
My personal analysis has always been that Ben probably felt he could succeed without Robert & Darren and he was at a point in his life where he wanted the freedom to move to Australia, spend as much or as little time with his wife and kids as he wants, and not have to answer to anyone but himself, professionally. Can you imagine the strain on a relationship when you live in Australia but your two bandmates live in LA or North Carolina or wherever they lived? And you're married and starting a family and they're not? It just makes sense. Or maybe not. Go ahead and rip me to shreds if I'm wrong.

Offline Pianoplaya

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 10:53:16 PM »
man i remember when i found out they broke up.  i wasnt obsessed like i am now  ;) but i was listenin to whatever and ever ... and i saw the like fan hotline number so i called it to find out about some tour dates.  the guy picked up and explained that they broke up and i like flipped out.  whoever that guy was was pretty cool.  he stayed on the phone with me for about a half hour and we couldnt understand why the best band ever, not at all an exageration, could possibly break up. what a mess but anyways just thought i'd share my devastating story   ;D ;D ;D

christina
I love Benny Folds...and Joe DiLorenzo JUST AS MUCH