"Something Different"

• 42 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
"Something Different"
« on: February 10, 2002, 06:44:47 AM »
Here's what Ben had to say regarding touring in the WFUV interview back in December:

And as far as touring goes, I really want to do something different.  I want every tour to be a little different, and I’ve got a few ideas; I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do yet.  But, um, I don’t expect I’ll be that predictable, the format of the touring next couple of years. I’ve got a lot of ideas.

Let's brainstorm.

Imagine you are Ben. What are your ideas to make each tour a little different?

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2002, 02:57:05 PM »
I would like to see him incorporate monkeys into the act.   ;D

Oh, wait.  Ok, fine.  So, hmm...  I guess it comes down to figuring out what the options are, right?  The last tour was a classic band sort of setup, and the setlist was usually pretty consistent.  This one seems to be Bowery-style, with fan participation and a laid-back attitude.  As such, the setlist is bound to be a little more flexible.  (This is probably what is most exciting, for me.)  I think in the future, maybe it will have something to do with how or who he tours with.  Kind of like having unusual instrument sections--perhaps strings or horns?  What about venues?  The Moore is actually quite larger than the Showbox (here in Seattle), whereas the type of performance lends itself to an intimate venue.  Oh, budge, I dunno!  Just throwing out things that might "change" a tour.  

Maybe he'll do some spoken word <g>
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2002, 05:53:48 PM »
And I know you and I would be interested in seeing his musical on tour!  ;D  But I don't think that's what he meant.

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2002, 09:29:58 PM »
LOL, the musical would rule.  Then again, Ben isn't an actor, and is unlikely to actually perform the songs in his musical.  Then there is all the workshopping and stages to go through with musicals...the average show takes something like four or five years to get to the stage, depending.  Anyway, yeah, Ben, write a musical!  

I wonder what would be his subject matter.  

Hmm...

Anyway, yeah, maybe he'll do a tour with Glen or something.  Like the Elton John/Billy Joel tour.  That would be cool!

~g

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2002, 10:39:44 PM »
LOL, that would be cool.  Glen just finished a joint tour with Nickel Creek, and during the tour they had some sort of bet/project where they each had to write a song each day of the tour.  They would start with a song name, and everyone had to write their own song using that song name. I would love to see Ben & Glen do that!

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

Re: "Something Different"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 11:18:26 AM »
I'm sure our European based friends would like to see a tour format that acknowledges the existence of their continent.

Um...you know I've never really thought there were a whole lot of different tour formats. You've got solo vs. band, small vs. medium venue size and predetermined setlist vs. free form.

I'm just glad to hear him refer to touring for "the next couple of years."  That means he might be available for my 50th birthday party. ;D 8) ;)

Offline greyseal

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 02:09:10 PM »
But what about the monkeys?   ;D

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 02:47:36 PM »
I could see how their tom-foolery might add a little bit to the show but would he cover any of their tunes?

Oh man Ben on "Last Train to Clarksville" would be sweet.

Roame

(who realizes that there are like 2 people on this board who could sing "last train to clarksville)

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2002, 05:43:15 PM »
You're including me in that count, right?   :D

~g, former Monkees enthusiast

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2002, 05:57:19 PM »
Can you hear Ben now?

dodododododododo... <Thwap!> Take the last...

<makes that funny Ben face>

You know the one where he looks into the crowd and it kinda looks like he wants to take a shit.  ;D

That face is soooo cool. It's like his "I'm a badass" face.

Rome

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 06:45:13 PM »
Oh, thanks for that!  Now I'm gonna imagine a Ben bathroom scenario whenever he makes that face!   :-[

~g, a slave to her mental imagery

Offline Leia

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2002, 11:58:33 PM »
You mean like THAT face?

http://www.theblueswan.com/jana/images/wbenscream.jpg

HAhaha hoohoo.. yes.

Love,
Leia
i've been running through these fields, it's such a lovely place you dream

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2002, 03:21:27 PM »
Here's a copy of what Greyseal posted on the setlist thread.  While it was very appropriate there, my babbling about how much I love Ben may not be.  ;D

-----

Posted on the Armchair by Lyon2kc@cs.com,but too cool not to repost here.  I edited it a bit, indicated by snips.

<snip>he explained why he hasn't played the last polka. i guess when he played it in lawrence last fall, he screwed up somehow (which i do not remember), so he's had a block against playing it. but he played it flawlessly. and the audience sang every word. ben said we were excellent singers. he said that he's got two plans for the next tour.

1. he wants people to write letters or poems or lyrics, and then he'll make songs up for them with the city in the title and release a cd called the people's court.

2. he'll score something for the audience to sing and then record it and integrate it into his next cd. so i'm pumped for that.  <snip>

Ok, so like, COOL.  I posted here because morry posted about TLP reasoning, but maybe this belongs in the future tour musings thread...

~g, who may not have mentioned she sure likes Ben  

----

!!!! Wow, that IS something different. So how cool is that?  When does this tour start, I can't wait! hee!

I don't know about y'all, but I don't think Greyseal and I could love Ben any more than we do at this moment.  Of course, this is something she says (and I agree with) at every new development... sometime like 3 times a day.  There is always more love where that came from.  ;)

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2002, 02:29:48 AM »
I am just a fountain of love!  I have to admit, he could snort in the middle of a laugh and I would probably squeal with delight.  

SO, this new info from the KC show is just absolutely squeal-worthy.  Not sure why the audience participation thing gets me going, but I think because it feels so communal that way.  Maybe that is why I post to the boards so much, and revel in bootlegs; truly, organic evidence of other people enjoying Ben's music just fires me up.

Yeah, I gush, gush, gush, which is evidently not lost on JBJ ;)  And the idea that Ben would put together a recording that, to me, translates as a sort of, maybe like an audience tribute (for lack of a better description)--well, it is gratifying, to say the least.

~g, who, really, likes, commas, today,,,

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2002, 10:22:32 AM »
Ok, I know I'm totally aping this from the blue boards, but Dixielover posted the following comments about the 3.10.01 Austin, TX show, and I found them entertaining.

"Thanks ya'll for making what might be one of the worst performances I've done into one of my all-time favorites."

He was being apologetic the entire time because he forgot lyrics, couldn't remember certain chords. In his words "I'm sorry I'm playing like I'm drunk in my living room right now, but it's cool because ya'll sing along well.." etc. I think Ben really did like the crowd a lot tonight and I'm not just saying that because I'm an Austin-ite.

Once again, I'm having one of those, "I super-duper heart Ben!" moments.  :sigh:

~g, who best get in the shower and to work...