"Something Different"

• 42 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2002, 08:56:45 PM »
I agree! I almost wrote the EXACT same thing, but I was interupted by work of all things!  

Why is Ben a nerd? Is it because YOU really think he is? And if so, why is that traits you find cool are "dorky?"  What does this say about us who think Ben is cool?  Is it his appearance? His clothing? His mannerisms? Or is it because the media has called him this repeatedly until we all believed it?  

I'm not going to say Ben is the coolest thing ever or even that he has mainstream appeal.  But that in and of itself does not make him a dork.  Was he a dork in high school? I don't care! He's talented, intelligent, communicative, charming... he may display some dorkish tendencies (some of pictures are more dorky than others), but I don't like the label of a dork.  How exactly does one define a 35 year old dork?  Unless he has buck teeth and a pocket protector (no offense to anyone who does), I'm not willing to commit to the label.  

I think I just don't like labels.  How would one label me? I wasn't "popular" (aka powerful) in high school, though I was a cheerleader. I don't think my friends and I were nerds, though some of the bigger assh*les in the "popular" crowd might have alluded to that at times.  Was I nerd?  Or just shy?  In college I was in a sorority, but I lived in a laid-back, bohemian, pot-smoking kind of neighborhood. Was I a rich, stuck up bitch? Or a drug addict? Now I spend a lot of time on the internet and freak out over "dorks" like Ben Folds. Nerd again? Or am I the girl you flirted with in the elevator? See, I don't like labels, because I have never, ever fit into one.

If we think Ben is cool because he is a dork, then we must admire dorky qualities.  Then either we are dorks, or we disagree with what some other people consider dorky.  If it's the former, so be it, but again I resent the label.  ;)  If it is the latter, then we need to redefine who we allow to tell us what is cool and what is not.

JBJ, stepping off the soapbox... it feels kind of slippery

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

Re:
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2002, 09:53:57 AM »

Unless he has buck teeth and a pocket protector (no offense to anyone who does), I'm not willing to commit to the label.  

Man, oh man, I guess that makes me a dork after all. ;D

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
Re: "Something Different"
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2002, 10:49:15 AM »
Hey I am soooo proud to be a dork. I don't consider it negative at all  :)

Just because you are a dork doesn't mean you can't be cool. Other examples-

David Byrne
Beck
Laurie Anderson
Carl Sagan
Bjork
Paul Westerberg
George Harrison
John Cusak (and his sister can't remember her name-brainfart)
Edward Norton
The Dali Lama
Ben Stien
FDR

Ummm need I go on?  Stop being so caught up in negitive connotations of labels Jane.  :P God cheerleaders are so sensitive.  ;D

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2002, 01:50:55 PM »
I think you just named a lot of other cool people.  ;) You seem to be saying they are cool in spite of being dorks?  All I am asking then is what makes them dorks and what makes them cool?  If these things coexist, what do the words really mean? (Please don't give me the literal meaning of "dork" - I don't want to taste my breakfast again.  ;D Ooops. Um. I was thinking of geek. Nevermind.)

Anyway, I realize that I am a) a huge dork for the above post and b) a hypocrite since I refer to people as dorks all the time.  Still, I just don't get it.

I guess it's just that once again I don't fit in with whatever label is being used for cool.  In this case, the label is dork (and the cool kids are you, silly)... and I'm just Jane, perpetual outsider.  ???

Rescue me, Grey.

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2002, 02:24:31 PM »
Well, um, I know JBJ asked not to invoke the actual dictionary, but I think it is instructive <g>  

dork Slang. A stupid, inept, or foolish person: "the stupid antics of America's favorite teen-age cartoon dorks"(Joshua Mooney).

~g, who has more to say, but printers and email to fix ;)
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2002, 05:40:27 PM »
I just have dork-dar  8)

That dictionary definition is crap. I know my kind when I see them. Jane you look way to much into labels. I mean when you call a person a geek do you really think they are biting the heads off of chickens every night?

It has nothing to do with being cool. It's a totally seperate personality trait. It's something ineffable. A certain "not on the cutting edge" attitude.

I dunno, this is a stupid conversation anyways. Hey if you don't think he's a dork...whatever. You just keep on living in your fantasy world FREAK! :P

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2002, 06:15:08 PM »
I feel so loved.

I think it's funny that you're telling me I'm too focused on labels when I'm trying to avoid labeling.  If you're trying to drive me insane by telling what I am too much and not enough of, I think it's working.  ;) I get what you mean, though, about it being something ineffable. But I guess this "stupid" conversation is over.   ::) ;D

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2002, 07:51:05 PM »
HA! sorry "stupid" was the wrong word.

I love you Jane! Really I do  :-*!

I'm just getting the impression that you think the word dork is bad. I'm trying to re-claim that word for dorks everywhere! Dorks Unite<cue uplifting "marching band type" music>

Band with me my brothers!

Ok...I'm done now.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2002, 08:35:55 PM »
Awwww, I feel better now.  :-*

It's not so much that I don't like the word, per se... it's that the word is used by so many with a negative connotation.  As much as I read you say it means something good to you, it is hard for me to get past the malalicious intent with which it is often associated.

Anyway, I think we both agree that (for whatever reason) Ben is the shit.  And in this case, naturally, shit has a positive connotation.  Have a great time tomorrow night - woo!

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2002, 10:12:23 AM »
Hey did you just call Ben shit!

After all he's done for you!

Now them's fightin' words.

;D

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2002, 03:21:27 PM »
I'm an over-analyzer, not a fighter.  ;)

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2002, 10:49:06 PM »
THE shit, as opposed to shit.

Offline yomo

• zzzzzzzzzz
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2002, 12:57:18 AM »
I think Ben was probably just not a "cool" kid in school. (he he) Not a nerd...exactly. I got picked on severly in school but I'm not a "nerd." I'm just different I guess. (wait...this isn't about me...get back on topic damnit!) sorry, thinking out loud. Ben's music just draws people in that never fit a stereotype or a typical social group. I think that has to do with his personality. He's a great guy. I'd do 'em. ;)
three cheers for feelin' sorry for ourselves!