"Something Different"

• 42 Replies

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 02:09:31 PM »
I can't stop!  I'm making these phone calls, and every time someone answers the phone I'll all giggly because I keep reading stuff like this:

Before "Not the Same", he broke the audience into 3 groups who did various bass, alto, and soprano harmonies. Then he asked us to do it by ourselves several times "clean" so that during the mixing process they could use us doing the harmony, take a "magical computer" and put it throughout the song.

Also, I mentioned this earlier, but he said he was working on a brand new song, and wanted to have a crowd sing-along background part of it. So he taught us a very pretty melody with lots of "la la las" in it, had 3 different groups sing different octaves, and also recorded us doing that several times.

~g, who'll refrain from gushing, but just NOW giggled at another person
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2002, 05:24:17 PM »
Wow, Ben IS in a very immediate kind of mood right now.  Everything he says, he does... and right away!

I loooove it when he says, "I just want it all at my fingertips right now."  Oh, and you shall have it.

Nobody's reading this other than Grey right? My conversations with her give me a false sense of security regarding what is appropriate conversation before "the line" is crossed.  ;)

(You mean there's a line?)

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2002, 06:17:49 PM »
Yeah, JBJ, I think we've sort of commendeered this thread for ourselves <g>

I must say, I'm not usually this silly, but shoot!  I guess the year and a half of Ben (and Darren and Robert, there when I thought there would be a fourth album) starvation, I'm just excited about the events of the past few months.  I blame Bowery.  I don't think much can match that show, like, ever.

I was sitting in traffic this morning thinking about how my friend Joe reacted when I told him I was going to LA at the end of the month.  He said, "Damn, girl, you are really obsessed this time, aren't you?  You used to have a life!"

He didn't mean it in a bad way, I guess, but it got me thinking.  At the time, I felt uber-stupid.  Then I compared us.  I mean, he sits on his bum on weekends, drinking beer with his girlfriend, intermittenly doing homework, and going to little bioengineering parties.  

I'm taking trips to big exciting cities to see kickass concerts, and having a GREAT time with all the people I see in the process.  I think that is enough "life" for me ;)

Anyway, I'm sitting here, waiting for a program to install...thinkin'.  

~g, ok with herself ;)

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
Re: "Something Different"
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2002, 06:58:48 PM »
<She thinks it's a private conversation>

<SHHHHH She'll hear you!>

<Meh, They don't listen to anything 'cept their own voices>

<Quiet YOU Bonehead>

<OWWW, Don't hit me>

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2002, 07:59:22 PM »
<Meh, They don't listen to anything 'cept their own voices>

:sniff!:  :'(

How can we help it if we're...verbose?  You're welcome to get in the conversation.  Rome, now tell us all why YOU heart Ben <g>

~g, just prompting conversation

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2002, 11:31:15 AM »
<go on...talk or sumpthin!>

<quit hitting me! you punk!>

Oh...um...Ahem...

Why I love Ben...hmmm...well: He's a freak for one. I'm a freak. He's a total dork but he ended up with a babe. I'm a total dork and I ended up with a babe <love you sweetie  :-*> I really like story/character based music. Steely Dan, Tom Waits, Soul Coughing, Leonard Cohen, Grant Lee Phillips(Buffalo), Van Morrison and so on. Ben has that writing style.

I've never met him but from what I've read he seems to be quite funny. His stage banter is hilarious. He kind of reminds me of people I grew up with I guess. He strikes me as a loyal person though I really have nothing to base that impression on. Just a gut instinct I guess. He seems like he would be really fun to go camping with. I like fun campers. Got to be positive when you camp. No whiners cause they spoil the mood.

And that is why I like Ben.

<bows and steps back into line>

Offline Emily

• &quot;Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid.&quot;
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2002, 01:39:45 PM »
Rome, you rock my world.  ;D

Oh, and girls... you've got a few lurkers. :-)
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Offline pokeystar

• I am the center of MY universe.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2002, 07:52:10 PM »
I love Ben because he's a world class smart ass. Right up there with my husband, John Cusack, Ramon & Owen Wilson.
Artsy fartsy Liberal shit, esq.

bored

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2002, 09:05:08 AM »
I like Ben cuz he's a "dork" and a smart-ass. I guess I am too. But nobody can make nerds look cool the way Ben does.  8)

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2002, 03:13:49 PM »
BEN IS NOT A DORK!! RRRAAWWWWRRRR!!

He is not concerned with image; it does not make him a dork.  Pretend it's not that way; it's my idea of faith.

;D

bored

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2002, 04:04:30 PM »
'kay ???

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Re:
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2002, 04:34:43 PM »
Ooops, did I scare you?  ???

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2002, 04:50:45 PM »
Sorry to bust your bubble Jane...Ben is dorkus malorkus all the way  :P

bored

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2002, 05:41:48 PM »
You didn't scare me. I'm trying to lay off the message board scene a little. It's begining to be addicting. Catchya later.

Offline greyseal

Re:
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2002, 06:26:46 PM »
I never thought of Ben as a nerd...LOL, in fact, I never understood that.  If Ben is a dork, what the heck is our standard of "cool"?!  ???

~g, who is grossly biased, but still of the opinion that Ben ranks pretty high on the coolness quotient