Anaheim...

• 6 Replies

Offline Emily

• "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Anaheim...
« on: March 31, 2002, 04:31:34 AM »
details, dammit, DETAILS!!!!!

Ok, ok, so it's only, what, 1:30 am your time (or something along those lines).... but we're desperate here!

Oh, and happy easter everyone!

I CAN EAT CHOCOLATE AGAIN! WOO!

Ahem.

*hugs*
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Offline god_of_fever

Re: Anaheim...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2002, 05:15:18 AM »
i could go on forever, but i'm tired... lets just say it was more incredible than i ever could've imagined.. he started out with zak and sara... and then before i even i had a chance to yell for it, he played last polka!!!!! oh man... then he played eddie walker... it was quite possibly the most amazing show i've ever seen.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 12:36:45 PM »
Jane's posted everything I need to know.

No, not here you dolt. Here: http://www.benfolds.org/forum/?id=2935
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline the_in_betweens

• often misunderstood.. .
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 03:14:44 PM »
Argh. Want to write a dissertation. But have to go to LA so I can do the Easter thing with the fam before zipping back here just in time for the show. So I'll leave it with my basic summary...

Good: Ben! JBJ and Grey! Sitting at Denny's at 2am in a group of five Ben freaks who understand. And my girlfriend, who was the uninitiated sixth person at Denny's, who somehow didn't explode from the potentially toxic levels of Benzene in the atmosphere.

EEEEeeeeeeevil: The totally unnecessary long line to get in to HoB. The fact that HoB has this nice balcony with a HUGE "VIP" area used by about four people, and a tiny area behind it that you can't see a thing from, but had several hundred people crowding in. The HoB no pictures, no nothing, no fun policy. The $6.50 drinks at HoB. The assh*le bartender who snapped at grey for even looking at the pictures on her shiny new digital camera. The assh*le security at HoB. You get the idea...
"There is no doggie heaven!...or...to put it another way...there is." --Homer

Offline god_of_fever

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2002, 04:09:07 PM »
i learned a long time ago you gotta get to the that venue early, or you won't see a thing. somehow i was lucky enough to score a spot at the front of the stage right under some speakers. lol, i was able to yell at ben between every song.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 10:17:41 PM »
God of fever, we were basically in "the second row."  We probably saw you.  Although, there were only 9 people there when we got there... sadly, the first 3 people in line had about 100 friends show up at the last minute, and there were these other girls I didn't see in the line at all who kept pushing until they got Grey's spot.  Those bitches.   ::)

Anyway, despite my issues with the venue - and there were many - Ben put on a great performance.  He said he was really tired because he played in Vegas the night before and had to get up at 6am to play a gig in Bakersfield, CA yesterday afternoon. (Weird.)  Anyway, he probably only had a few hours of sleep, so he said he might play "some weird shit."

I almost lost it when he played Polka second. I think it was after Eddie Walker... Ben asked if we knew the tree pose (a yoga posture) and said that might wake him up.  He got up from the piano and did the tree pose on stage.  HAHA.  Of course, thanks to the House of Blues, I don't think we got a pic, but this will give you a mental image: http://www.santosha.com/asanas/vriksha.html

Then he said the heavy metal falsetto might wake him up, and he played Ultimate Sacrifice.  I think this is when - but it could have been at a different time - when he jumped on the piano keys.  ;D A sight to see.  (Once again, no pics. Grrr.)  Then he did the improv "My Baby Don't Care"... I can't remember very well, but the voice did not sound like Ben's at all.

Brooke, a girl we met in line through mojochic, kept requesting Emaline, and we were helping her out. I'm sure at one point he heard her say, "Emaline, pretty please," but he kept playing other stuff.  Finally, he came and crouched down on the stage to take her request (the stage at HoB is HIGH) and played Emaline. She was one happy girl.

Ben said he wrote Battle when living in Chapel Hill, and all the people who worked at restaurants, etc were really aloof and too cool for school.  Those aren't his words, but you get the idea.

As I said on the blue board, the crowd was really raucous, singing loudly.  It seemed like a very different show for some reason, but it was a lot of fun.  At one point, the crowd was all screaming requests... and Ben laughed and said it sounded like we were really mad at him.  He related it to lynch mob in Westerns screaming outside someone's house.  (Once again, I am heavily paraphrasing.)

I'm having trouble remembering other tidbits at this point... the show was being recorded by HoB to be broadcast on the radio all over the US.  We'll see how they deal with the potty mouth.  It will be really funny if they do it, since when Ben played RTS, everyone in the crowd was screaming stuff like "Korn sucks! Limp Bizkit sucks!"

I know this show was taped, though I don't know if it will be available online.  So I am pretty sure I will be able to get my hands on it, and then I can organize trades with those of you who want it.  It could be a while, so don't call me, I'll call you.  ;)

~JBJ, having a bit of a Ben hangover

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2002, 10:20:31 PM »
Oh yeah, this has been established elsewhere but Ben did not come out after the show.  We were told by the venue assh*les that he left right away, which may or may not be the case.  So we gave the shirt to TIB to deal with tonight.

Denny's was a blast.  I hope we didnt' scare Mike's girlfriend too badly.