Best... Show... Ever

• 15 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Best... Show... Ever
« on: March 29, 2002, 05:15:47 AM »
Ok, so not everyone will agree with the title of this post, but this is most definitely my favorite show so far.  We'll see if Saturday can top it.  ;D

It's way past my bedtime, but that's ok... I've got to get this out now.  

First, the setlist:

Boxing
Zak and Sara
*Note (my note, ok, our note!!)
Air
Narcolepsy
Mess
Annie Waits
Morgan Davis
Louie took a big fat shit
Last Polka!!
Philosophy (jam)
Stan
Battle
The Luckiest!!
Army
Not the Same
Ultimate Sacrifice
Rockin the Suburbs

Encore:
Brick
Golden Slumbers
One Angry Dwarf
SFTD (minor)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see... Greyseal, Kingweasle, and Greg were the first people in line and so generously held my place.  They also held me a place slightly left of center of the stage since I had to be in the will call line.  It was only a few feet farther to the right than last night, but this time I got just as much of Ben's face as I did ass... I think I got enough of Ben's ass last night.  ;)

While waiting, Greyseal suggested we write a note to Ben asking him to play Polka... which reminded me I had already done that! (The most productive thing I did at work all day, mind you.) The note said, "Ben, In our excitement we forgot to ask you last night... will you please grace us with The Last Polka? We will be eternally grateful. Love, Laura and Annie."  Then, Chris and Greg added their names.  However, after Neil's set (during which Ben played piano on one song), the setlist came out and we discovered that Polka was on it!  So after much debate with the crowd around the stage, I crossed out Polka and wrote in Narcolepsy. I also added an arrow and "Woo! On the setlist! We love you!"

So after Zak and Sara, he said, "More cards and letters," and he sang the note up to where it said Narcolepsy.  Then he stopped, because he said it sounded like Neil's song.  I don't know what it was, but it was beautiful! (Great lyrics.  ;))  The guy next to me (and I swear this guy got every request he screamed out including The Luckiest) screamed out, "Godzilla! Air! Godzilla" so Ben played most of Air before moving on to *our* request, Narcolepsy.  Which rocked.

An employee at the El Rey had brought her son - less than two years old. She told Grey and I she was going to the night before, when she let us back in to call a Cab... anyway, the boy, Stevie, made some noise and Ben totally stopped to talk to the kid, and he played a song he wrote for his kids (and I paraphrase), "Louie took a big fat shit, now his Daddy's cleaning it, he made a fuss all night..." I can't remember the last line of the verse, but it was followed by the same verse for Gracie.

The Ultimate Sacrifice was a real treat... Ben was telling his Korn Sucks story when somebody yelled out "Metal!"  After Sacrifice he got back to the Korn Sucks-Bog Segar-RTS story.  We were also treated to an impression of old metal v. nu-metal.

There were other stories which are sadly not coming back to me.  All I know is the crowd ate it up, especially Mr. curly haired request guy, who (though having absolutely no concept of sharing) had great taste.

We waited after the show again, and Greyseal donated her ticket for me to have signed since they gave me some weird generic ticket at will call.  (Odd, my other 3 are normal.)  I was much more comfortable this time, and I managed not to act like a silent or babbling freak.  Greyseal asked Ben to play Silver Street on Saturday, and he said he would definitely give it a try.  ;D He said he just couldn't get it right in Portland.  While Greyseal told him good she thought it sounded great, I blurted out, "Just f*ck it up. We don't care, we'll love it anyway." I'm not sure Ben even heard, but his manager seemed to think that was humorous.

And the moral of the story is... if Ben ever plays two consecutive shows in the same location and you only go to one, GO TO THE GOD DAMNED SECOND SHOW. Learn it. Live it.

TIB, get ready for Saturday. Annie, Chris, Greg and I are camping out all day.  I think.  So find us and you will have a kick ass spot.  

~JBJ, oh my freaking god

PS - Ben lied. The Last Polka sounds great solo.

Offline Dr_Boni

• Giddy-up, Giddy-up, Let's go!
Re: Best... Show... Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 10:00:27 AM »
Ben doesn't lie, he was just sadly mistaken. :)

The kid was two years old and Ben was singing about taking a big fat shit??! That's the greatest thing I can think of to say to a two-year old. Teach 'em bright an early that they're just words. Rock on, Ben!
"Thank you very much Los Angeles. You're really kind when you shouldn't be." http://www.jiggawattz.com

Offline yomo

• zzzzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 11:20:26 AM »
I wonder when his next tour will be... I'm already excited for that. (I missed this one due to my own stupidity and my friends' procrastination issues)
three cheers for feelin' sorry for ourselves!

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 11:42:15 AM »
Actually DR. Boni, it's even better than that... Ben sang Morgan Davis before he sang Louie took a big fat shit.  He said if the kid was older than two he wouldn't play it but since he was under two he didn't think he would get the undertones.  Or perhaps he said overtones.  You get the idea.  Hehe.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 12:09:00 PM »
Ever??  :P  Okay it beat the shit out of Houston that's for sure.  GREAT report JBJ.  Sounds like y'all are gonna have a blast on Saturday in Anaheim.  8)

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2002, 12:42:20 PM »
Your Mom, Based on articles I've read, it looks like Ben will be touring in May and/or June.  It mentioned East Coast and Midwest.  

Offline yomo

• zzzzzzzzzz
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2002, 03:20:21 PM »
WAAAHOO! MIDWEST!!!! I'm camping out this time. If I have to kidnap someone to go with, I will Damnit! You sure know a lot of shit, Jane.
three cheers for feelin' sorry for ourselves!

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2002, 04:55:25 PM »
Oh...shit is JBJ's specialty ::)

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2002, 05:07:41 PM »
hehehehe.  Yes, when non-internet people ask me about Ben, I really have to watch myself because shit just flies out of my mouth.  Not actual shit (as Ben clarified on Wednesday when he said he had "shit in [his] throat").  I mean, I tend to give entirely too much information, letting on what a freak I am.  ::) It's just that with my little web project (once again, that's www.benfolds.info), I've read everything there is to read on the topic.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2002, 12:48:39 AM »
I forgot to mention the PS to the note.

It was:

PS - "We dig your songs!"

Offline greyseal

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2002, 04:06:01 AM »
I'm not going to add much to JBJ's wonderful little recap, but I did want to say that I thought it was SO COOL that I said, "I think we should write a note!" and what happens?  JBJ pulls a frickin' note out of her purse.  How funny is that?!

As for letting on the TMI nature of Ben information, I'm practically bullying my weekend host into trying to go to Anaheim simply by supplying a non-stop barrage of random Ben comments.  Today, he told me about how he liked the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and I busted out with the whole horns-on-TUBORM fact; this, at least the 576th Ben fact that just sort of "slipped out."  I'm really not that one-track-minded (yes, I am) but, I think it is the whole nature of the trip or something.  It is refreshing to know that I'm not scaring him, since he has an entire room full of Star Wars memoribilia back home.

~g, missing the boards so much, just looking for reasons to post
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2002, 07:52:42 AM »
Aha! Validation!

Joe (Ben's "Stage Manager") told Mojochic/benfoldslover in Vegas that Thursday's El Rey show was "the best show of this tour so far."

*giggle* And here I thought I was just incredibly biased.

~JBJ, with Grey in tow

Offline Dr_Boni

• Giddy-up, Giddy-up, Let's go!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2002, 10:03:01 AM »
Uh-huh! "Ben's *Stage Manager*" - Whatever happened to "Road" Manager? Eh? :-)

Seriously that's awesome! He just better come over to the east on the second leg.
"Thank you very much Los Angeles. You're really kind when you shouldn't be." http://www.jiggawattz.com

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2002, 09:44:07 PM »
I'll let Grey post on this, but I think you're in luck.

Offline greyseal

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2002, 12:19:53 AM »
Ah, ok.  Well, I had a nice conversation with Joe on Thursday evening as we waiting to get into the El Rey theater.  I inquired as to plans for the next leg of Ben's tour, and he indicated that they'd be stopping in both the midwest and east coast.  So yay for y'all :)

~g
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com