Tour Rumors and/or News

• 80 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
Tour Rumors and/or News
« on: December 17, 2001, 04:26:42 PM »
Ok. So what do we know about Ben's next tour?

We've heard rumors that Ben will be touring again in the spring.  

And we've seen the posting at www.concertideas.com to book Ben in Feb or March.

But no actual confirmation just yet.

I just saw a post from Leia on the BBS that someone related to the band said Ben would be touring ALONE, i.e. actually solo, instead of with "the new guys."  Leia, this is me asking you to come here and post DETAILS, hun.  Who said this? Why?  :) Give us this information, and we will kindly continue to defend your name from the likes of jealous idiots everywhere.

If anyone else hears any news or rumors about Ben's next tour, please post them here.

Leia (Guest)

Re: Tour Rumors and/or News
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 05:24:12 PM »
I talked to Marc (the sound guy) about the next tour.

He said that it will most likely be happening in late February going 'till April. He also said that the show would just be Ben.. solo... no band.

Marc will be working this tour, so he is a reliable source.

but it is not unusual for Ben to just go and change everything and not do it... he's like that, you know.

I heard a rumor that it'd just be a small college tour... but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to just a college/small club kind of tour.

That's all I can remember now... but if I hear anymore, I'll be sure to post it.

love,
Leia.

ps- thank you for defending me from the jealous idioits.. they can get pretty bad at times (i.e. leiasucks)

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2001, 11:35:56 PM »
Thanks for the info, Leia.  Very much appreciated.  Of course, you're right... it has to be taken as the word on that given night, which can change at any time. It just seems kind of odd that he's talking about a) recording the next "solo" album with 'the band' and b) touring solo, period.  

I also sent a nice maybe you will, maybe you won't type email to Doug Goodman asking if he could confirm or deny it.  I figure it can't hurt to ask.

For more hearsay, another poster (CheckeredSoul/Kari) on the BBS said Ben said he had some really "unconventional ideas."  This was presumably in regards to playing gigs solo.  What on earth does that mean?

But you know me... if Ben's name's on the ticket, I'll be there, which leads to my next question.  Is Los Angeles, with it's 12 million and umpteen something colleges, by any stretch of the imagination, a "college town?"  I hope so! I guess having Sony here is a big plus.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2001, 12:17:19 AM »
Houston, it's a college town too.  And it's coming up on 4 years since we've gotten Ben (2/14/98 to be exact, but whose counting?).

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2001, 12:31:44 AM »
Doug's response to my solo v. semi-solo question was, "I'm not sure that I would bet one way or the other."  :o

(Doug is Ben's tour manager, if anyone is wondering)

Offline greyseal

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2001, 12:59:22 PM »
wow, my first message on this board!

i didn't ask ben about it personally, but i remember at the bowery show ben expressed some initial discomfort playing alone.  i don't have the exact quote, but the jist is that he's always played with a band, and playing alone felt very "artist's roundtable"--which is why he resisted it for so long.

by the end of the show, he seemed really very enthused about how the whole affair came off.  if ben is considering a solo venture, i'm betting it is because he is warming up to the idea of playing alone.  

in addition, the solo stuff is just not geared to the new album tracks.  i mean, of course he can play many of the songs with piano, but some of the tracks really sound fuller with a band.  maybe that is why he goes back and forth, since it seems that it would be more simply ben, and not all promoting the new album.

to that end, i hope he does the solo shows.  it is an experience that every ben fan should experience, not just east coasters.  it was the most exhiliarating folds experience i've ever had, and i've been going to shows since '96.

anyway, just my .02
~grey
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Emily

• "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2001, 02:12:09 PM »
welcome to the boards, greyseal. :-)

oh, and "artist's roundtable"? I'm british and clueless - I don't get it. enlighten me, anyone?

:-)

-Em.
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Martin Karamon

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2001, 03:37:23 PM »
Thought you guys might like the set list from the Bowery Ballroom.

> Boxing
> 1 down and 3.6 to Go
> Christmas Song
> Best Imitation
> Mess
> Philosophy
> Fred Jones Part II
> Alice Childress
> The Ascent of Stan
> Army
> Don't Change Your Plans
> Zak and Sara
Eddie Walker
> One Angry Dwarf
> Golden Slumbers
> BRICK
> The Luckiest
> Kate
> Evaporated

Offline greyseal

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2001, 05:21:05 PM »
thanks for the welcome emily :)

the "artist's roundtable" comment came off like this.  i got the impression he meant like, "look at me, i'm so great, come listen to ME play.  ask me about MY songs, etc, etc."  does that make sense?  i think he looks at his earlier work as collaborative, and doesn't want to usurp it from those who worked with him.

i'm not sure i'm explaining it right, but once we finish uploading the concert in its entirety, you can listen to his dialouge and judge for yourself! ;)

~grey

Offline Emily

• "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2001, 05:58:18 PM »
I think I get it. I'm downloading the encore right now, I'll see what I think. :-)
If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once.
     -Calum

Offline Leia

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2001, 06:32:19 PM »
I don't think this next tour is going to be for the new album though.. I had the feeling it'd be just the rts and old BFf stuff.

I could be wrong.

love,
Leia.
i've been running through these fields, it's such a lovely place you dream

Offline greyseal

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2001, 07:35:24 PM »
oops!  i wanted to clarify that i meant ben didn't want to sound like the comments i posted.  i'm so inarticulate today.  he *didn't* want to sound like
"look at me, i'm so great, come listen to ME play.  ask me about MY songs, etc, etc."  

haha, i'm a dork today.  first i post messed up bowery files, and then i make ben sound like an ass :P

Offline mkaramon

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2001, 12:40:34 AM »
Please let me know how to download those Bowery Files when you get the uploaded.

thanks

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2001, 01:11:57 AM »
I think you're right, Leia.  Ben had previously said that he would tour for RTS for a long time... but hopefully he'll throw in some new stuff as well.

Offline Kenny

• kennyjaworski.com
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2001, 02:19:22 AM »
I was lucky enough to see Ben twice this year and I'd have to say the most uneventful part of both shows for me was when he played solo.
it'll put your mind more at ease if you say the words of release...