Chances for any new music? And which direction?

• 2 Replies

Offline zackmitder9

Chances for any new music? And which direction?
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
Is it just me, or is Ben actually having a hard time writing new songs?

"So there" is almost 5 years old. As a fan of Ben Folds Five from the beginning I found the album quite mediocre. The songs "So There" and "Long Way To Go" are based on very old ideas. Composing the piano concert seems to me almost like an escape from writing another rock album. I loved "The Sound of the Life..." but Ben has said on different occasions that he doesn't like it much. I have more and more the impression that Ben is not very interested in writing single songs or playing with a band anymore. That would be such a pity because he is an outstanding songwriter.

I understand that he has to develop as a musician. But does he himself know in which direction he wants to develop? Do we get more classical music? Will there be any album at all? I get a bit frustrated. Did he mention anything about new material in his "Sat Apartment Request"?

Re: Chances for any new music? And which direction?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
I would LOVE to hear a new upbeat album, a rock album. So There was indeed mostly the concerto, the 8 other songs just seemed tacked on. Capable of Anything, Not a Fan, and Yes Man appear ground up written for the album, but So There is ancient, Long Way to Go is from WTN days, F10DA isn't a real song per say, Phone in a Pool was lifted from unreleased recording sessions, and I'm Not the Man is a rejected song from a movie soundtrack. I really feel we haven't gotten a front to back Ben Folds album in years. When has he mentioned not liking TSOTLOTM? Just curious.

He did just drop 2020, which seems like a fun little song to hold us over... at least I hope that's all it is, because it isn't exactly the next Annie Waits, hah.

Offline zackmitder9

Re: Chances for any new music? And which direction?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:57:38 PM »
When has he mentioned not liking TSOTLOTM?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rpyq8k/rank-your-records-ben-folds

Ben was asked to rank his records for VICE in 2015. TSOTLOTM was his least favourite BFF album, saying it was not "a record of the time somehow."

In a way I doubt any kind of rock album would be "a record of the time" for Ben in 2020 or the next years. That's what I'm afraid of - that Ben "is done" with that.