JBJ's Personal Solo Tour Analysis

• 14 Replies

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
JBJ's Personal Solo Tour Analysis
« on: July 27, 2002, 01:51:29 AM »
Inspired by Ben Folds Fan and in a fit of procrastination of more relevant activities, I have created my own personal solo tour analysis.  That is, an analysis of the Ben shows I have seen in the past year.

• No. of times I saw Ben Folds Five live: 1
  • No. of times I saw Ben perform live between July 16, 2001 and June 12, 2002: 8 (7 full sets plus Bowling with Ben)
  • No. of shows on RTS tour: 4
  • No. of shows on Ben Folds & Piano tour: 4
  • No. of times I travelled more than 2 hours: 1 (God bless you, Southern California)
  • Guest Appearances: Hanson, Glen Phillips, and Weird Al Yankovich
  • Shortest set: 8 + Short Bus Benny
  • Longest set: 27 + Short Bus Benny
  • Total unique songs: 51
  • Total songs played: 150
  • Plus Ben sang 2 Notes from fans (one written by me)
  • No. of shows at which I was leaning on the stage: 4
  • $ spent on concert tickets: $185 (worth every penny)
  • Most unique moments: Ben stomping on the piano and doing the tree pose in Anaheim
  • Most memorable moment: Ben singing the note signed by me, Greyseal, Kingweasle, and 'Sergio'
  • No. of people I met from the burbs: 3 (TIB, Grey, and Kingweasle... 4 if you count that I spoke to itslikeimsayin and his friend before I "knew" him)
  • Most heartbreaking moment: When my 2 rolls of film (containing pictures of me and Grey with Ben) came out completely blank

And the number of times each song was played:

8: Not The Same
      Rockin’ the Suburbs
      Zak and Sara
    7: Annie Waits
      The Ascent of Stan
      Song for the Dumped (3 minor & 4 original version, 1 w/ Weird Al)
    6: Philosophy
      Still Fighting It (1 w/ Glen Phillips)
    5: One Angry Dwarf…
    4: Army
      Evaporated
      Fired
      Fred Jones Part 2
      Hiro’s Song
      Kate (1 w/Hanson)
    3: Eddie Walker
      Gone
      Losing Lisa
      The Luckiest
      Make Me Mommy
      Mess
      Secret Life of Morgan Davis
      Selfless, Cold and Composed
    2: Battle of Who Could Care Less
      Best Imitation
      Carrying Cathy
      Emaline
      Girl
      Last Polka
      My Baby Don’t Care
      One Down
      Short Bus Benny (as intro to OAD)
      Ultimate Sacrifice
    1: Air
      Alice Childress
      Bottle Let Me Down
      Boxing
      Brick
      Cigarette
      Elvin Bishop
      Louie took a big fat shit
      Golden Slumbers
      Hava Nagila
      Jane
      Mr. Rogers Theme
      MTVMA Song (first verse)
      Narcolepsy (the request in our note)
      Purple Haze (after Greyseal and I screamed out "Play it!"
      Smoke
      Underground
      Where’s Summer B?

~JBJ, who only promises 95% accuracy in her counting skills

Offline Chanting Mantis

• Bubble Boy
Re: JBJ's Personal Solo Tour Analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 01:14:05 PM »
You forgot "Ultra Uber coolest moment on tour" when I talked to Erik while waiting in line for a show in Cali.  :P

Offline greyseal

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 12:49:03 AM »
I really really want to respond to this thread, and I don't quite know how!  I mean, um, I could answer the questions, but the answers are kind of embarrassing.  BUT, my car was broken into this morning, and my stereo stolen (and the face was not even on it; go figure  :P) so I need to reflect on my Ben experiences to quell the anger and bitterness in my heart <g>  

• No. of times I saw Ben Folds Five live: 8 [Seattle (2), Portland (2), Chicago (3), St. Louis (1)]
  • No. of times I saw Ben perform live between July 16, 2001 and June 12, 2002: 12  <--embarrassing part
  • No. of shows on RTS tour: 5 [Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, New York City, NY (2)]
  • No. of shows on Ben Folds & Piano tour: 7 [Chicago, Indy, Seattle, Portland, El Rey (2), & Anaheim]
  • No. of times I travelled more than 2 hours: thanks to careful grouping, only 3!
  • Guest Appearances: Stevie, the little boy from Anaheim
  • Shortest set: 16 (Seattle, RTS Tour)
  • Longest set: 23 (NYC, Bowery Ballroom)
  • Total unique songs: I abstain! (annie=lazy)
  • Total songs played: There were many!  
  • $ spent on concert tickets: ummm...again I abstain!  Counting tickets/airfare, it probably is more than $185 <g>!  Though, one ticket was a gift!
  • Most unique moments: I second the tree pose, but it is tied with "Army" at the Bowery show.  I'd never heard anything like that before!
  • Most memorable moment: I quote JBJ!, "Ben singing the note signed by me, Greyseal, Kingweasle, and 'Sergio'"  It is funny that I finally remembered his name after giving him a different one.
  • No. of people I met from the burbs: 6 (TIB, JBJ, MrsBenFolds, Kingweasle, PMT, and Leia)
  • Most heartbreaking moment: Leaving California after the best set of Ben show experiences I've had (ie. meeting people, singing loudly with them, and waiting in line, even!)  Oh, and I felt really bad about those pictures too :(

~annie, now your turn!
tell me greyseal, how does it feel?  ~ben folds, 3 dec 2002

My kids are cute at haleblog.tumblr.com

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 06:11:28 PM »
What? You thought I'd pass this thread up? Perish the thought.

--No. of times I saw Ben Folds Five live: 4 (Houston 2, Austin and Atlanta)
--No. of times I saw Ben perform live between July 16, 2001 and June 12, 2002: 3, though it was supposed to be 4 (Solana Beach, New Orleans, Houston)
--No. of shows on RTS tour: 1 plus his solo debut in Solana Beach which wasn't *technically* on the RTS tour.
--No. of shows on Ben Folds & Piano tour: 1
--No. of times I travelled more than 2 hours: depends on whether measured by car or air
--Guest Appearances: none
--Shortest set: Solana Beach
--Longest set: incredibly enough, Houston (one of Ben's shortest solo shows, but my longest  :()
--Total unique songs: BTHOOM
--Total songs played: not enough, it's never enough
--No. of shows at which I was leaning on the stage: 0, I'm too old.
--$ spent on concert tickets: less than I'm gonna spend to see McCartney this fall
--Most unique moments: Ben, walking out on stage in Solana Beach for the first time in over 6 years without Robert and Darren
--Most memorable moment: Meeting Ben after the New Orleans show and having him sign my 9/13/01 Irving Plaza ticket
--No. of people I met from the burbs: 0
--Most heartbreaking moment: When the motherf*cking terrorist bastards flew the planes into the WTC on 9/11 thus cancelling our birthday trip to NYC where we were to see Ben on 9/13

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 02:18:15 AM »
--Total unique songs: BTHOOM
--Total songs played: not enough, it's never enough

BTHOOM??

And 150 is almost enough.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2002, 04:26:04 PM »

BTHOOM??

And 150 is almost enough.

BTHOOM=Beats the Hell Out of Me  :P

Offline greyseal

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 01:43:32 AM »
Ah, your dedication to the crunching of numbers only goes so far ;)

~annie, also beat

Offline the_in_betweens

• often misunderstood.. .
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 01:26:51 AM »
   * No. of times I saw Ben Folds Five live: 0. This is supposed to be within the past year, right? I'm pretty jealous of all the rest of ya. Ok, just kidding. 2. Ever.
   * No. of times I saw Ben perform live between July 16, 2001 and June 12, 2002: 5 (4 full sets plus Bowling with Ben)
   * No. of shows on RTS tour: 2 + Belly Up, but including Bowling With Ben, since that was a "show" on the RTS tour, though not a regular "concert."
   * No. of shows on Ben Folds & Piano tour: 2
   * No. of times I travelled more than 2 hours: 2 (God bless you, Southern California)
   * Guest Appearances: Glen Phillips, and Weird Al Yankovich
   * Shortest set: 8 + Short Bus Benny
   * Longest set: 18ish or something? (Belly Up, March)
   * Total unique songs: HIIK
   * Total songs played: WTFDYTIA,AHC??
   * No. of shows at which I was leaning on the stage: 1. Maybe two.
   * $ spent on concert tickets: around $195? (Brought a date to three of the shows ;) )
   * Most unique moments: Ben stomping on the piano and doing the tree pose in Anaheim
   * Most memorable moment: Philosophy / Pyser / Maple Leaf Rag / Chopsticks Belly Up jam. Ok, and the first intros at the first Belly Up show: "...I'm Ben, and I'm nervous as shit." Ok, and being among the first people ever to hear Hiro's song.
   * No. of people I met from the burbs: 3 (JBJ, Grey, and Kingweasle... 4 if you count mojochic who has, like 3 posts here under a name that's not even mojochic but I can't remember what name she uses here)
   * Most heartbreaking moment: stupid HoB Nazis...

"There is no doggie heaven!...or...to put it another way...there is." --Homer

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2002, 03:00:18 AM »
* Total unique songs: HIIK
  * Total songs played: WTFDYTIA,AHC??

Okay, I consider myself somewhat of an acronym guru (which is why it bothered me that I could not figure out Fan's) -- or at least I like to think I gained something out of my obsessive addiction to Acrophobia (an online game).

So... let me take a crack at this.

HIIK - Heck if I know
WTFDYTIA,AHC?

What the f*ck do you think I am, a head case?

Or in place of head case...

hopeless creep?
highschool cheerleader?

~JBJ, who would love nothing more than to play "Acro" with you people. Curse flipside for buying it then taking it away!

Offline greyseal

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 12:15:10 AM »
Hey!  That is about how far I got, too...

Happy Camper?

~annie, who'd think of more if her mouth weren't on fire from excessive Tabasco

Offline the_in_betweens

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2002, 12:37:46 PM »
Ok, ok, I'll let you off the hook.

HUMAN CALCULATOR. See? that wasn't really so difficult, given the context. Right..?

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2002, 06:05:20 AM »
OH!! I even thought of HP Calculator, but that wasn't as catchy. Nor did it make as much sense.

Offline the_in_betweens

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2002, 06:43:13 PM »
Just reread an earlier message. You mean there used to be a game where you got to guess acronyms? That's so cool! I'd never heard of it. Sounds like a job for Ebay...

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2002, 07:09:48 PM »
Even better!! They gave you random letters, and you had to write a sentence as if it was an acronym!  It was a real time game played with 3 - 15 players in a room with chat at the bottom.  The first round was with 3 letters, and you had 60 seconds to write a sentence (i.e., TIB = The In Betweens), then everyone's repsonses were displayed and you voted for your favorite (and laughed your ass off).  You got 1 point for each vote and a certain number of points for winning the round.  Then the next round was 4 letters, then 5, then 6, and then 7, then start again with 3.  As soon as someone got 30 points, the top 2 players did a face off round.

They had stupid topics and most rooms were filled with idiots who just typed in words that this board won't even allow me to type without censorship.  But the room I frequented was filled with witty, intelligent folks who invented their own topics (i.e., "You got fired from work because..."), managed to make sense, and refused to vote for anyone who was not on topic.

For the first year that I had internet access, this was all I did.  Then I got bored with it and discovered mp3s.  Then I was addicted again, then I got bored... and then it was gone.  :'(

It was made by the same people who did "You don't know jack" and was quite possibly the best online game interface I have ever seen.

Tragic.

Offline Jane_Be_Jane

• I'm better that way...
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2002, 07:16:15 PM »
I just did a search on google, and it looks like you might still be able to play this game on IRC.  

???

Will look into it further later.