Folds Degrees of Seperation (a game)

• 40 Replies
Folds Degrees of Seperation (a game)
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »
Maybe this'll involve too much thought, but I wanted to at least put it out there... I want to see if one of us can stump anyone else. (There's probably a name for this type of game, but I don't know it.)

Put ANYTHING down that's related to Ben, and then in parentheses, list how many steps removed it is. The rest of us will see if we can get it or not.

So for example:

EASY
Item: Jim Carrey (3)
Solution: Jim Carrey -> starred in Me, Myself, and Irene -> whose soundtrack contained "Barrytown" -> a Steely Dan cover song by Ben Folds

MEDIUM
Item: Chicken Sandwich (3)
Solution: Chicken Sandwich -> served at Chic-Fil-A -> restaurant mentioned in "Army" -> a song by Ben Folds

HARD
Item: Twinkie (5)
Solution: Twinkie -> used to make a "Twinkie Weiner Sandwich" -> seen in the movie UHF -> which starred "Weird Al" Yankovic -> who collaborated on "Time" -> a song by Ben Folds

And you get bonus points if you can figure it out in less steps (even if it seems completely dumb).

Re: Folds Degrees of Seperation (a game)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
I'll start it off with three:

Item: Germany (3)

Item: Barack Obama (4)

Item: Walkman (3)

Let me know when you want the answers that I came up with.

Offline bENFOLDS

• Laughing at you and your football team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »
Think I've found 'Walkman'....

Following lyrics in Strength Through Music>>from the album Who Killed Amanda Palmer>>Produced by Ben Folds

he picked a soundtrack
and packed his bag
he hung his walkman
around his neck

Much more direct is Ben's Late:
"Got back in the van and put the Walkman on
And you were playing"
I am Jack's quote out of context.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
For Barack Obama I wanna say it's from the concert where they sang "Obama" instead of "Ba Ba Ba" in Fair. Could be wrong though.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline emaline03

• Hi! I'm Tad! And you can count on me!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
Barack Obama will probably win Oregon, which is where my friend Kerra lives, and Kerra is married to a relative of Anna Goodman, who was Ben's first wife.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
Barack Obama will probably win Oregon, which is where my friend Kerra lives, and Kerra is married to a relative of Anna Goodman, who was Ben's first wife.

PROBABLY? Girl, you ain't ever been to Oregon, have you? It's a sure thing. Believe me. I've lived here long enough to see that. And that's only been eight years.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline bENFOLDS

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »
^^ Yeah well, John Kerry was a certainty for Ohio wasn't he? Didn't turn out the way people expected though, did it?

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »
Ohio ain't Oregon. I don't think Oregon has EVER gone red.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:43:27 AM »
Item: Germany (3)
Solution: Germany -> has a city named Köln -> mentioned in it's Americanized form in "Cologne" -> a song by Ben Folds

Item: Barack Obama (4)
Solution: Barack Obama -> is a senator from Illinois -> which has a city named Normal -> mentioned in "Effington" -> a song by Ben Folds

Item: Walkman (3)
My Solution: Walkman -> a product put out by Sony -> whose subdivision Epic -> releases Ben Folds albums
Better Solution:
Much more direct is Ben's Late:
"Got back in the van and put the Walkman on
And you were playing"

Offline Brooooke

• "I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »
haha fun.  do another one (;

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
Item: Tim Armstrong, frontman of Rancid (4)
Solution: Tim Armstrong -> played the 1998 Warped Tour with Cherry Poppin' Daddies ->who were on the Meet the Deedles soundtrack with Radish -> which was fronted by Ben Kweller -> who was in the Bens with Ben Folds

All things lead back to punk lulz.

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »
Item: Penis (1) 
Solution: Ben has a penis

UGH

come on. how about giving this game some more tact. you cant just throw in random things about life. the whole 6 degrees of (Kevin Bacon, etc) is the movie business involving movies and actors, and it doesn't involve what he eats or whose dog farts when then something something ben folds.

Offline Allison

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
I can get to Obama faster.

Barack Obama > I have shaken hands with > I have also shaken Ben Folds' hand.
Tada.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline bENFOLDS

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:39 AM »
Okay, this one's pretty tough!
Tom Cruise (4)
Note that there's someone crucial in the middle and you'll need to use his imdb page probably! Have fun!

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
Item: Penis (1) 
Solution: Ben has a penis

UGH

come on. how about giving this game some more tact. you cant just throw in random things about life. the whole 6 degrees of (Kevin Bacon, etc) is the movie business involving movies and actors, and it doesn't involve what he eats or whose dog farts when then something something ben folds.

look, I thought you'd gone away and stopped the spamming, hatred bullshit. if you're going to be a killjoy, do it on your own time when you're busy hiding in the closet, calling everyone gay because you can't handle your innate homosexuality. you sound like a f*cking robot: "stop sucking ben folds dick", "that's gay", "you're gay"... get a new tagline, you're getting old. if the demographics of this board match up with the general population, most of us are straight, and the few gay people that are on here are probably either being scared off by you or they're amused by your backward ass.

because you didn't seem to understand, i'll explain it in short choppy sentences. yes, there are millions of answers for each question. the journey to it is supposed to be interesting. use the tired cliché, "life is a journey, not a destination," as an analogy. the fun doesn't come from a set "answer." it comes from finding a goofy/stupid/fun way to tie things in. tact? you mean "more rules"? i left it open (not just people, films, etc.) so it could be overly random.

i don't know about dog farts (where do you come up with this?), but most of the time, one person says one thing which someone else follows up on, and you get some degree of humor. if you think we're being kids, then go hang with your more mature crowd, where everyone can call each other "gay" and troll for sex in peace. lord knows i aspire to be a part of a group like that. sorry to disappoint you. chill and have fun. just have some respect. get it?

haha fun.  do another one (;

I'll think up s'more soon. Stay tuned.

Okay, this one's pretty tough!
Tom Cruise (4)
Note that there's someone crucial in the middle and you'll need to use his imdb page probably! Have fun!

Did Tom Cruise every do a movie with William Shatner?  :P Was it in Esperanto?