Songwriters reply...

• 8 Replies
Songwriters reply...
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »
...Which Ben Folds song sounds the most like something you'd write? Just curious.

Just so I won't be accused again of "sucking Ben Folds dick", I'll ask an additional question: if you WOULDN'T sound like BF, then name another song by another artist that sounds like something you've done.

I want to see what kind of music any songwriters on the board make.

Re: Songwriters reply...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:35 AM »
I've done things that sound like "Cologne" before. And I wrote something that was surprisingly similar to Coldplay's "Clocks" (with a lot less repetition than Coldplay, though) before "Clocks" came out. I've also written a song that sounds like could be a distant cousin to "Sentimental Guy" called "What the Hell is Up with Junior?"... the audience seemed to like that one a lot.

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
For a specific Ben Folds' song... Probably something like Where's Summer B? or Dr. Pyser.

I have a lot of influences, though. I'd probably sound like some strange mix of Pete Townshend, Kate Bush and Ben.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
The biggest influence from Ben's playing to my music:  Foot to sustain, fist to lower end of keyboard.  \m/

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »
finally you made an ok thread.

I'd go with BF5's "Smoke" . I think I wrote for the very first time after hearing that song back in '97. Since then I've been published several times, so I'd say he definitely made an impact on my life. Well, it wasn't Ben Folds solo, but he was the main songwriter, so whatev.

The second part of the question, I'm heavily into the blues. But I wouldn't make it a blues song, but more blues-influenced. Something like the Black Keys, I'm sure. They're my favorite band of all time. There's something about a blues lyric that is so profound. You can say so little and make such an impact. Kind of like a haiku in a sense. If you can successfully tell a story or express a powerful emotion without many words, its just as good, if not better than someone who can copy some big words out of a thesaurus in my opinion.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »
I'd have to say that if I wrote songs the chords would most likely sound slightly British, because I'm madly in love with the way Brit Pop sounds. For words I think I would try to copy Amanda Palmer's style since imitation is the best form of flattery, her album blows me away with how well the lyrics are. The basslines would be extremely similar to the way robert plays, I'm such a bass nerd and his style was so awesome.

I hope to start writing in the next year, and make a piano rock band. But that's just my silly little fantasy I have.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
Can you play piano

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
not really, a little but only a little.

If I don't fail out of college this semester I plan to take music theory and piano courses next semester.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »
i'd say the ben songs that influence me the most are:  you to thank, one angry dwarf, last polka, and jackson cannery. 

actually i just put up a song of mine online that has some definite inspiration from last polka, it's called diane.  i'd love to see what you guys think, i've been writing a lot of music at once and i can't tell anymore whats music and whats crazy, hah so here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53Xd92aF3E
 \m/